6000 mile trip planned this summer pulling an open trailer. Any tips for securing the rig?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the suggestions.

The trailer has a 'bulldog hitch' I have a collar lock and a decent square lock itself, not the normal loop style lock. You cant get bold cutters inside the lock pin.
I have welded the hitch ball to the receiver so nobody could just use an electric impact to remove the ball itself. The receiver pin is hardened with a good quality lock.
I use hardened chains to lock the dual wheels on one side to the springs The lock itself mounts behind the wheels, hard to get cutters inside unless you jack up the trailer. It harder to unlock, even with key. To remove the wheels would require BOTH to be pulled on one side as the trailer can still roll with one attached.
I welded a cover to the trailer itself so the lock mounts with the hardened chain under the cover. It's a ***** to lock it up you can't get bold cutters into the lock.
The truck on the trailer is chained to the trailer itself. It has 'no steering wheel' no shifter, no fuel pump relay, no coil wire, and no fuses. I have wheel locks. Reassembly is easy once I get to my destination to take it off the trailer.
I have a motion alarm on the trailer. You bump the trailer it sets it off. You can't step onto the trailer itself without setting it off. The trailer itself has a GPS.

Any of the lock or chain cutting with a hand grinder will require work. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't give them easy access.

I do NOT use Master Locks. I learned they are inferior and I can even pick them. I've done it and I have no locksmith experience or picking skills.

I use quality locks. They are placed in such a way that getting the proper leverage and access with picking tools are tougher than normal. They are not in the open.

I The truck I think is disabled well enough with the starter relay and ignition fuse pulled. Didn't think of chaining the hood down. I bring my tool bags into the room with me.

I also hadn't thought about BnBs to stay as we usually do the chains when we travel. We did have a window broken in Ohio when they took what they thought were tools out of a Harbor Freight Bag but it was a roll of paper towels and 2 quarts of oil. (our car was using oil so I always carried extra and checked each day) I left them in the rear seat and even with the window tinting the '**** monsters' broke the glass and took off with the bag.

Alll of what I have done, will do are just 'slow them down' measures. I have no delusions that if they want it bad enough and are given enough time they can get it.
I have owned several BnBs. We always go out of our way to help guests have a secure visit. Pretty much the same with everyone I know who operates one. Airbnbs and VRBO listings depend heavily on guest reviews for more business. It is in the hosts self interest to make sure that you are a happy camper :)

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen a neighbor with a Cummins secure his truck with a wheel lock similar to what San Francisco uses on parking violators. I think its called (the boot)

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go out of town time to time for work. My trailer is pretty expensive and I think the same way. I typically stay in nice parts of towns no cheap hotels and lock everything with a hole. If I can I will back my trailer into a wall or another parked car so no way of moving the trailer.

Marlin Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bring your dog or borrow one. Leave it in the truck overnight with the windows a third of the way down.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
"Has it really got that bad?????"
I and my wife and child, were sleeping for an hour in the middle of the night in a motel parking lot( Rest stop was full). Near Fresno, CA. Had the windows a third way down. Some young, gang banger looking in cars, actually tried to open the back gate on my Bronco, I was sitting upright. Blasted the horn and went our separate ways. CCW not valid there.

aRBee4863

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of my best moves for my trip was just stopping in affluent suburbs. If the goal of the trip is to get across the country, is there any actual reason to stop in the big cities? One example: instead of stopping in St. Louis, I stopped in Wentzville, MO. It's a solid 40 minutes from city center, nice, clean, police presence; slept in the back of my camper shell in a Planet Fitness parking lot with no trouble whatsoever. If anything, I looked like the ratty one in town

Attachments

• 20210624_085338.jpg
    20210624_085338.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Point noted.. I'd actually call the dummy ' Bernie'.. But Earl would do also

If I had taken a vacation in the last 30 years I'd probably not be as 'tightly wound' as I am. I'll be 5 days on the road out and equal back. I've taken 18 days vacation but I plan on being back on the following sunday, leaving me several days to catch up.

I have done everything I can think of to "slow them down'. I haven't thought about a tarp over the truck on the trailer but I will consider it. I'd have to cover it when I stop each night as It would probably flap too much on the road. The truck itself on the trailer will require work to get off without a steering wheel and with the trailer wheels chained together through the springs they'd have to cut it off with a grinder because the ABUS chain is bolt cutter 'resistant' you'd need to have primate arms or hydraulic strength to cut it but you'd probably damage the cuttter.

I've even gone to the length of repainting the trailer and changing the fenders to a different color as it needed it anyway so it stands out.

I've got a motion detector alarm for the trailer. You can't step on it without triggering it. Its a 113 decibels and i'm trying to get a room close to a door.

I'll do my best to calm down and enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go out of town time to time for work. My trailer is pretty expensive and I think the same way. I typically stay in nice parts of towns no cheap hotels and lock everything with a hole. If I can I will back my trailer into a wall or another parked car so no way of moving the trailer.
Ive planned our trip that we avoid any bigger 'metropolis' areas. We're traveling the first day to the outskirts of Ohio with the purpose of going through Indiana to Iowa that next day. I'm avoiding the bigger places to reduce the amount of people I'm in. Thanks to google street view I can see the places we're going and I'll be calling each hotel where we stop.

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm doing a similar trip but from West Virginia to Arkansas and then to Moab and back. I bought my own trailer 2 days ago because of the fear of having a loaner stolen.

Some one mentioned welding the ball to the hitch, good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I planned on locking the wheels of the trailer together and through the leaf springs as well.

Not sure what to do about locking the Jeep to the trailer? Suggestions?

My big issue is that I have to drop my trailer in Arkansas to get to our camping spot. I am told it is in the parking lot of the KOA but even with a ball and latch lock the trailer can still be snagged with a big enough truck and chain.

In Moab our spot has enough room for us to park the truck, trailer and jeep.

What kind of motion sensor do you have on your trailer?

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm doing a similar trip but from West Virginia to Arkansas and then to Moab and back. I bought my own trailer 2 days ago because of the fear of having a loaner stolen.

Some one mentioned welding the ball to the hitch, good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I planned on locking the wheels of the trailer together and through the leaf springs as well.

Not sure what to do about locking the Jeep to the trailer? Suggestions?

My big issue is that I have to drop my trailer in Arkansas to get to our camping spot. I am told it is in the parking lot of the KOA but even with a ball and latch lock the trailer can still be snagged with a big enough truck and chain.

In Moab our spot has enough room for us to park the truck, trailer and jeep.

What kind of motion sensor do you have on your trailer?
I mentioned welding the ball nut so it can't be taken off and drag away the trailer by the chains. t'll be a pain to replace It'll be more difficult with a vehicle on the trailer.
My trailer has 2 center hooks. i wrap the chain over the frame of the truck and latch it to the trailer. I use a hardened chain and not something from home depot. I also take the steering wheel off the truck and pull coil wire and fuel pump relay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the motion detector I purchased. You can't stand on the trailer without setting it off.

It was mentioned to me to get a car cover. Not to have it on the vehicle for transport as it will mar the paint but for when it is stopped overnight. Make sure it covers the front bumper if you have a winch.\
Idea is if you can't see things you won't know what's there to entice you.

I have welded angle iron over my winch bolts so it can't be quickly removed from under the truck.

For all times you have the trailer detached. Make sure you lock the wheels have a good hitch ball lock and one that covers the chains. I tried moving my trailer with just the chains and it was very easy to attach the chains and just pull it away.

Also check your spring bushings on your trailer. I have owned my trailer since 2004. Glad I did as they needed to be replaced. I've taken my trailer on trips under 200 miles at a time. this is the first time I will pull it across the USA and it had better be sound.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Incidentally, my brother just borrowed my 2004 Chevy Avalanche to pull a box trailer from SE TX to north California. Its a really long trip, with some stops along the way like a few days in Las Vegas. Total will be ~5000 miles and three weeks. The trailer is empty going up there, and will be full of his new wifes furniture and personal items coming back.

Along the way he has actually disconnected the trailer in places like Vegas to cruise the strip, leaving it unattached in the hotel parking lot. He tells me he has it rigged it somehow with a theft preventer on the hitch, and heavily secured locks on the doors. I think its crazy to drive away with it left alone in a parking lot, but he did and no issues so far. Coming back he will drive with less stops, but he tells me even when full it won't get stolen.

terrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We made it back from Moab with no issues at all. Ended up skipping Arkansas because of weather and drove through some nasty stuff in Colorado. Even slept in the bed of the truck with our camping pads and bags one night due to Rt70 being closed.

No issues with thieves or mechanicals the whole trip.

lPL3rFfl.jpg

hIhqGG5l.jpg

OLvz0NRl.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Professional Drag Racers & Nascar Teams have professional drivers that pull the trailers that hold the race cars, as they move from track to track.

Some of those Teams, don't have a 5th wheel trailer, they will have something like this & sometimes they are stolen with the race cars still in them.
Of course, they will have stickers all over the trailer, making it hard to miss

1654377864121.png

I want to move my Harley Trike, from San Diego to just outside Waterbury Connecticut, almost 2,900 miles.

I know that i will have to buy an enclosed trailer,, because there is no way that all too curious people will not gather around it, try climbing on it & worse

1654378807973.png

1654378966999.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I just got back from a 6192.4 mile round trip from Virginia to the Rubicon Trail in California. With a detour to Mt Rushmore for a photo with my pup..

Had a failed bearing that took out the entire trailer axle in Rock Springs Wyoming and we had to scramble and rent a U-Haul to finish the trip. Luckily we had a U-haul and moved my 4 wheeler to the trailer and we arrived on time. We had to run the rubicon 'solo' as my guides backed out but we got it done. Didn't get a chance to get as much pictures and video as I could have nor were able to attach the gopro to a jeep in front of me but I am glad to have made the trip and got back home safe.

I towed with a '16 RAM 1500 with about 6000lbs max 16' trailer and my modified Suzuki. The 5.7 Hemi towed fine but the 'sway' from crosswinds across Nebraska and the stopping from trailer brakes could have been adjusted better but I got home fine. I made the trip out and back in 18 days.

I covered the Suzuki when parked, chained the front axle to the trailer itself, and chained the wheels across the leaf springs on the trailer as well as a good quality lock on the bulldog hitch. I parked in a well lit area and made sure the truck itself was also locked. I used 'turnbuclkes' as I call them to tie the back window down on the cap as well using the tailgate lock to deter people just breaking the lock and lifting the lid..

I'm not saying that my concerns of theft weren't valid but I took a layered approach for deterrence. Hopefully if those that came along, saw the level of effort to get stuff would attract attention while they were trying to get my stuff.

It wouldn't stop them. I was hoping it would slow them down and make them decide to move on.

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_120551575.jpg
    PXL_20220716_120551575.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220708_155709097.jpg
    PXL_20220708_155709097.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220615_205452079.jpg
    PXL_20220615_205452079.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220715_151641895.jpg
    PXL_20220715_151641895.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 20

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like quite the adventure. Love the "pooch" with Mt. Rushmore in the background.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like quite the adventure. Love the "pooch" with Mt. Rushmore in the background.
Shes such a 'Ham'.. It was a trip I'm glad I took, but at my age, I won't be taking again. 500+ miles a day out and back. The 1500 towed well except for the mountains. Didn't have enough braking power to my liking. Scared me a few times when I needed to stop and the trailer 'pushed' the truck. If I could get the chance to tow with a 2500/3500 I'd like to see how it would perform with 6000lbs of trailer behind it.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it a Keeshond? I don't see many in hot TX (understandably) but my Dad had two.
Yes, Miss Kasey is a 4 year old AKC Keeshond from a local *******. We had a Spitz for 15 years and it wasn't a house without a Dog. We got her at 8 weeks old and got through the toils of housebreaking and she's been a great dog. Rides well in the car and has almost more energy than my wife and I can take at times. They are great fun.

WIfe wan't a second one.. Not on your life.. One with that much energy is enough.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20130913_144629.jpg

This is how I travel BC to Moab ,Hurricane UT and the Rubicon
16 foot garage in back and We use as a bedroom when parked for the month in Utah
We park at truck stops Walmarts ETC