6112 + Spacer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Howdy,

I’m getting ready to install suspension on my 22 Rebel GT, I have 6112s and 5160s along with JBA UCAs.

I know the 6112s do not have the amount of pre travel as say Icons, and I would like to restore some of that. I plan on a bumper and tent rack in the near future as well.

Can anybody recommend rear springs and advice as to the 1/2” Spacer which would allow the coilovers to be set to less preload? I’m also considering different front springs if that is an option. I would like to be at 3” total over stock Rebel height in the front.

Thanks!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the icons are extended travel they should be the same length. Or at least they were in the 4th gens. Not sure on 5th gens. Look into accutune or another custom coilover company. They usually can set you up pretty well

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Howdy,

I’m getting ready to install suspension on my 22 Rebel GT, I have 6112s and 5160s along with JBA UCAs.

I know the 6112s do not have the amount of pre travel as say Icons, and I would like to restore some of that. I plan on a bumper and tent rack in the near future as well.

Can anybody recommend rear springs and advice as to the 1/2” Spacer which would allow the coilovers to be set to less preload? I’m also considering different front springs if that is an option. I would like to be at 3” total over stock Rebel height in the front.

Thanks!
If youre overlanding I highly recommend moving to a real coilover, King has a lot of spring rate options to dial your truck in. Its all by weight so my advise would be to find a good offroad shop that can do the math

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If youre overlanding I highly recommend moving to a real coilover, King has a lot of spring rate options to dial your truck in. Its all by weight so my advise would be to find a good offroad shop that can do the math

I agree. If you are going to add weight and do actual overlanding the 6112's arent the answer. There are much better options out there that will do it right. Let us know if we can assist you with part selection and quoting. We offer many brands and have set up many members here with a suspension setup that fit their needs and wallet.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree. If you are going to add weight and do actual overlanding the 6112's arent the answer. There are much better options out there that will do it right. Let us know if we can assist you with part selection and quoting. We offer many brands and have set up many members here with a suspension setup that fit their needs and wallet.
Sounds like OP already has the 6112s, although 3" over a Rebel height sounds high.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like OP already has the 6112s, although 3" over a Rebel height sounds high.
Absolutely is high. Should be thinking about a lift as well but 6112's arent going to do well overlanding with additional weight. Aftermakret Front bumpers have been known to be enough to cause 6112's to sag.

OP
OP
R

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Thanks guys! I ended up purchasing these a couple months ago and while I have considered moving them I’ve had no luck. I had a similar setup on my tundra (Toytec Eibach) and it suited my needs, albeit without a rack or bumpers. Im thinking this will be a stepping stone to get me on 35s and gain clearance as I’ve already scraped the hell out of skid plates and broken front license plate and exhaust tips. The end goal is a full Carli Kit but I just can’t swing that AND tires at the moment. Trails here in Texas aren’t super technical, but I do an even 50/50 split of higher speed washboard/beach trails and more technical forest paths.

OP
OP
R

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Absolutely is high. Should be thinking about a lift as well but 6112's arent going to do well overlanding with additional weight. Aftermakret Front bumpers have been known to be enough to cause 6112's to sag.
I have heard of members here using Eibach 600# springs with success, is this not recommended?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could contact bilstein but what I was told with the 4th gen version that’s it’s not recommended to swap springs on them because of the valving. They said 25 to 50 lb heavier springs would be ok just not recommended

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recommend you send a PM to @Nick@GotExhaust with your truck current mods, where you want to end up, and what you'll use the truck for and go from there. A temporary set up for now may well be more work and money flushed than if you sell off parts and go for it.

But we all know budget concerns, so I'm right there with you.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard of members here using Eibach 600# springs with success, is this not recommended?

You could contact bilstein but what I was told with the 4th gen version that’s it’s not recommended to swap springs on them because of the valving. They said 25 to 50 lb heavier springs would be ok just not recommended

Exactly as @crazykid1994 said. You are taking something that is valved specifically for a certain spring coil rate and now changing that rate. All while buying 6112's to not use the springs that come with it, then buying another set of springs. I would just go straight to an ICON coil over and you probably would be close in cost.

You are in a tough spot with the height you want. So a Rebel is 1" over a stock regular 1500. You want to be 3" taller than that, which is 4" over a regular 1500. That is lift kit height. You can not go 4" (3" over Rebel) without upgrading other components. If you do you are going to have parts prematurely failing and it wont ride like it should either.

OP
OP
R

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
After some thinking, I decided to leave well enough alone and just run what I bought.

- Bilstein 6112 on Clip 8
- Bilstein 5160
- JBA UCA
- Icon Dual Rate 1.5” Rear springs.

I realized I was overthinking it and paired with 35s this will allow me plenty of clearance for what I need. Thank y’all for keeping me in reality!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After some thinking, I decided to leave well enough alone and just run what I bought.

- Bilstein 6112 on Clip 8
- Bilstein 5160
- JBA UCA
- Icon Dual Rate 1.5” Rear springs.

I realized I was overthinking it and paired with 35s this will allow me plenty of clearance for what I need. Thank y’all for keeping me in reality!
Nice! Of course, you must update with pics once finished up.

neboysa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's been very short time since you decided to stick with 6112 but any chance you had it done? And what you think about it. If anyone else who has 6112 and 5160 done to their trucks what you think. I wasn't really thinking of getting this until next winter or after until I run through most of my stock tires but they just showed up full set 6112 pre built clip #8 and rear 5160 on craigslist for $1000 or best offer. Never installed in box.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I know it's been very short time since you decided to stick with 6112 but any chance you had it done? And what you think about it. If anyone else who has 6112 and 5160 done to their trucks what you think. I wasn't really thinking of getting this until next winter or after until I run through most of my stock tires but they just showed up full set 6112 pre built clip #8 and rear 5160 on craigslist for $1000 or best offer. Never installed in box.
What happens if one leaks and Bilstein wants to see your receipt to send you a new one. Do yourself a favor and have @Nick@GotExhaust give you a quote you may be surprised

OP
OP
R

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Nice! Of course, you must update with pics once finished up.
Picked her up Saturday morning and I’m really happy with how she sits. Haven’t hit any trails or beach yet but feels more planted on the highway and ****** roads are far less brutal now.

Attachments

• 05537F3E-9E59-45D1-A1F9-CF98F0D68EB1.jpeg
    05537F3E-9E59-45D1-A1F9-CF98F0D68EB1.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 71B4B7CC-0F8A-4EBD-A2B0-EC6D0FFF42D2.jpeg
    71B4B7CC-0F8A-4EBD-A2B0-EC6D0FFF42D2.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 254E9E7F-0E56-4B25-91FB-BCEC7979E4AE.jpeg
    254E9E7F-0E56-4B25-91FB-BCEC7979E4AE.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 20

neboysa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks nice! Thanks for photo update. Do you know how much height you achieved at front end on clip #8. I'm currently sitting almost exactly 2" both sides and was wondering that 6112 at #8 will be too much unless I also do icons to regain some rake.

I don't do crazy off roading but need my front end raised for some of my hunting/fishing places I go to because tired of getting out of truck putting rocks or wood under front wheels to clear front end. Also me taking out chin spoiler or what ever it's called helped a lot.

OP
OP
R

RedassAg22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Looks nice! Thanks for photo update. Do you know how much height you achieved at front end on clip #8. I'm currently sitting almost exactly 2" both sides and was wondering that 6112 at #8 will be too much unless I also do icons to regain some rake.

I don't do crazy off roading but need my front end raised for some of my hunting/fishing places I go to because tired of getting out of truck putting rocks or wood under front wheels to clear front end. Also me taking out chin spoiler or what ever it's called helped a lot.
Original Stock Rebel Measurement: 38F 40R
After Measurement: 40F 41R