65rfe Filter and Fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No one seems to be definitive on the filters for the 65rfe. Im approaching 50k miles and want to change my trans fluid filters. There seem to be some discrepencies as to what filters are used in the 65rfe.
It seems that the 45fe,545rfe, and 66rfe transmissions all use the same filters. But does that include the 65rfe? :roflsquared:

There appears to be 2 different spin-on filters, a 4wd, and a 2wd. From what I can find all 2010+ RFEs use the 4wd(deeper) filter?

If all my assumptions are correct, this kit Amazon.com: DODGE RAM JEEP 4WD 45RFE 545RFE 68RFE TRANSMISSION TRANS FILTER KIT & SEALER: Automotive
should work in my 2012 5.7, 2wd. Right? :Stupid Me:
Thanks
Tom....

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
no idea man. What has been working great for me is I just suck out whatever fluid is in the pan and replace it every oil change. Keeps everything super clean.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just hit up your dealership parts counter. Best to use factory filters when it comes to these transmissions. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, definitely want to use factory parts. The Amazon link was to factory parts, didn't know if anyone knew if the part numbers were correct.
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll make a trip to my dealership and pick the stuff up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The 65rfe is really a 45rfe at heart. LOL

There all the same trans. The 545rfe and same 65rfe are really the same with just the with you actuall being able to shift into 6th gear with the 65rfe

So yes they use all the same filters.
But there is a difference bewteen 4wd and 2wd filters.

I run a 4wd filter with a 4wd pan which is a little deeper.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No one seems to be definitive on the filters for the 65rfe. Im approaching 50k miles and want to change my trans fluid filters. There seem to be some discrepencies as to what filters are used in the 65rfe.
It seems that the 45fe,545rfe, and 66rfe transmissions all use the same filters. But does that include the 65rfe? :roflsquared:

There appears to be 2 different spin-on filters, a 4wd, and a 2wd. From what I can find all 2010+ RFEs use the 4wd(deeper) filter?

If all my assumptions are correct, this kit Amazon.com: DODGE RAM JEEP 4WD 45RFE 545RFE 68RFE TRANSMISSION TRANS FILTER KIT & SEALER: Automotive
should work in my 2012 5.7, 2wd. Right? :Stupid Me:
Thanks
Tom....

the spin on filters are the same, its the sump filter thats different. the link you posted is for a 4x4.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the 545rfe and 65rfe physically are the same. only difference is a tune and converter.

Octane

Reaction score
Except the 65rfe is totally electronic shift with range control and the extra gear(6)....545 and 65 has same case "they" say.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Except the 65rfe is totally electronic shift with range control and the extra gear(6)....545 and 65 has same case "they" say.

I'm sure there have been tons of rolling changes throughout that transmission's 21 year life so far, when it first shipped it was a "four speed" transmission because 6th gear just wasn't enabled.. somewhere around 2000 or 2001 people who owned previously manufactured WJ's could have their TCM flashed for free by the dealer to enable 6th gear. And 3rd gear (sequentially) was not available for upshifting, it was used like an alternate 2nd gear when downshifting from (effective) 3rd (which was sequentially 4th, but functioned as 3rd during normal acceleration).

Shifts were a lot slower and sloppier in those days too, compared to now. The 2002 WJ I had previously, even when it had low miles shifts were just uhh.. we'll say lazy - a shift kit from Transgo solved that problem and made it nice and quick but the 65RFE shifts tidier still than that.

So even if it is nothing more than software I'd call that all the difference in the world.

I should add however that range control I actually liked a lot better on the old WJ. Shift lever in the console has a thumb activated OD Off switch that locked out both 5 and 6 which is fine with me, like I can't think of any reason I'd want to manually choose 5 in particular because if a hill or a load is calling for thunder I'm going to go to 4 or 3 anyway. Then the PRND21 lever allowed selection of 2 and 1 respectively and the false 3 never really existed except on downshifts.
In simpler terms the driver could select 1,2,4,6 but unlike the modern ERS it was done by lever or switch position, so it could be done blind. You could select them & identify the range you're in by touch which I think bears a lower cognitive load than locating a little button and tapping it repeatedly. Maybe it comes down to personal prerogative but I'd prefer that over what my Ram has.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
I'm sure there have been tons of rolling changes throughout that transmission's 21 year life so far, when it first shipped it was a "four speed" transmission because 6th gear just wasn't enabled.. somewhere around 2000 or 2001 people who owned previously manufactured WJ's could have their TCM flashed for free by the dealer to enable 6th gear. And 3rd gear (sequentially) was not available for upshifting, it was used like an alternate 2nd gear when downshifting from (effective) 3rd (which was sequentially 4th, but functioned as 3rd during normal acceleration).

Shifts were a lot slower and sloppier in those days too, compared to now. The 2002 WJ I had previously, even when it had low miles shifts were just uhh.. we'll say lazy - a shift kit from Transgo solved that problem and made it nice and quick but the 65RFE shifts tidier still than that.

So even if it is nothing more than software I'd call that all the difference in the world.

I should add however that range control I actually liked a lot better on the old WJ. Shift lever in the console has a thumb activated OD Off switch that locked out both 5 and 6 which is fine with me, like I can't think of any reason I'd want to manually choose 5 in particular because if a hill or a load is calling for thunder I'm going to go to 4 or 3 anyway. Then the PRND21 lever allowed selection of 2 and 1 respectively and the false 3 never really existed except on downshifts.
In simpler terms the driver could select 1,2,4,6 but unlike the modern ERS it was done by lever or switch position, so it could be done blind. You could select them & identify the range you're in by touch which I think bears a lower cognitive load than locating a little button and tapping it repeatedly. Maybe it comes down to personal prerogative but I'd prefer that over what my Ram has.
I tend to run 5th gear as the top gear unless on interstate.Sometimes 4th around town and it lugs less.Call me old but I have never gotten used to more than three gears and maybe overdrive in any automatic.Fuel economy be danged but I like my th350 in my old chevy truck