65RFE to 66RFE Transmission Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, i have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 4.7L. A bit tired of the 65RFE, the gear ratios just aren’t great.

I was looking into the 8HP swap but it’s more than i really want to do with having to fabricate crossmembers and stuff. I like the gearing of the 66RFE and i think it’ll suit the 4.7L very well especially with the 3.92 differential i am currently running. Bell housing patterns are the same from 65 to 66, wiring is the same, output shafts are the same, mounts are the same, everything is the same. I was reading up on it and through the very limited amount of info i’ve found it has never been done before and the tuning aspect is what’s hard. I have a few months with the truck down and i wanna give it a shot. Any help with all of this?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone, i have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 4.7L. A bit tired of the 65RFE, the gear ratios just aren’t great.

I was looking into the 8HP swap but it’s more than i really want to do with having to fabricate crossmembers and stuff. I like the gearing of the 66RFE and i think it’ll suit the 4.7L very well especially with the 3.92 differential i am currently running. Bell housing patterns are the same from 65 to 66, wiring is the same, output shafts are the same, mounts are the same, everything is the same. I was reading up on it and through the very limited amount of info i’ve found it has never been done before and the tuning aspect is what’s hard. I have a few months with the truck down and i wanna give it a shot. Any help with all of this?
Ever thought of doing a higher stall convertor instead. The common upgrade with the rfe is to also go to 4.56 gears. The swap you're proposing is alot of money with not a great return on your money. If nobody is doing the swap you're wanting to do,there must be a reason why it's not being done.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ever thought of doing a higher stall convertor instead. The common upgrade with the rfe is to also go to 4.56 gears. The swap you're proposing is alot of money with not a great return on your money. If nobody is doing the swap you're wanting to do,there must be a reason why it's not being done.
That is a fair question, I seem to have forgot that there's not really all that much of a difference in gear ratios between the 2. At least in 1st.

I haven't thought about doing the stall converter, what would be a good stall? I'm thinking in the road of 3000 or 3200. 4.56 gears would also be good after watching some videos on them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That is a fair question, I seem to have forgot that there's not really all that much of a difference in gear ratios between the 2. At least in 1st.

I haven't thought about doing the stall converter, what would be a good stall? I'm thinking in the road of 3000 or 3200. 4.56 gears would also be good after watching some videos on them.
The 4.7 leaves a bit to desired under 3500 rpm,so i'd look at something around the 3400 to 3600 range. I did pretty well all the off the shelf bolt-ons you could do to a 2013 4.7 years ago,on the dyno it put down 250 rwhp after tuning,and would give stock 5.7's a hell'va run for the money to 100 mph,then pull out and pass them easily once they hit the stock 106 mph limiter.I looked into the convertor swap and 4.56 gears back in 14,then decided to trade the truck off,as i found a deal on a fully loaded 2014 Sport 4X4 with the 8 speed for $13,000 differance,so the 4.7 went down the road. But in the back of my mind i always thought the 4.7 with the 8 speed and a set of 3.92's or 4.10's would of been a nice combination,especially if they had thrown the 14 to 16 SRT Jeeps or the 1320 Challengers high stall torque convertors into the mix

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4.7 leaves a bit to desired under 3500 rpm,so i'd look at something around the 3400 to 3600 range. I did pretty well all the off the shelf bolt-ons you could do to a 2013 4.7 years ago,on the dyno it put down 250 rwhp after tuning,and would give stock 5.7's a hell'va run for the money to 100 mph,then pull out and pass them easily once they hit the stock 106 mph limiter.I looked into the convertor swap and 4.56 gears back in 14,then decided to trade the truck off,as i found a deal on a fully loaded 2014 Sport 4X4 with the 8 speed for $13,000 differance,so the 4.7 went down the road. But in the back of my mind i always thought the 4.7 with the 8 speed and a set of 3.92's or 4.10's would of been a nice combination,especially if they had thrown the 14 to 16 SRT Jeeps or the 1320 Challengers high stall torque convertors into the mix
I do think the 8 speed would’ve fit the 4.7 better and after searching up prices on decent converters i might just go that route. HP70s sell for 500-700 and a converter for around 1K, and a converter won’t add closer ratios.