65rfe upgrades or performance replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Caine espinoza
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was in the same boat as you. I have a 2013 and in August of 2020, I had lifter issues so I ordered the MMX 392 with NSR cam. While in there, went with a 3200 stall (flashed around 3400) but when it was stock, I never did anything special with the 65RFE as far as downshifting manually, I always did WOT downshifts (ignorance is bliss). I got the truck up and running in October of 2020 and within 500 miles, I had lost the OD clutches.

I attempted a 66RFE swap but that didn't work and since this was my DD, I had a local transmission shop rebuilt the stock 65RFE with upgraded parts, Sonnax OD drum, shift kit, etc. With the replacement transmission, I babied it, I always downshifted sub 4th gear before going WOT, never stayed in it in 4th gear, etc. Well that rebuilt transmission with "upgraded parts" ended up lasting about 500-1000 miles before it lost the OD clutches.

By that time I luckily had a reliable DD so I just kept it as-is with only gears 1-3 using the electronic lockout on the center console shifter. Worked great for short trips, handled all the abuse I could throw at it. I started accumulating parts for the 8 speed swap and should have that done shortly. Just skip the RFE entirely if you need a reliable DD - it won't be long at all before the OD clutches go out and you're stuck with 3 useable gears.
hey man
i know its been a while since this post but i was wondeing if youve finished the 8 speed swap in your ram. i emailed sound german engenering and they sent me the swap kit instructions and parts list ( it is much more detailed then i expected) that is required for the swap so im about to attempt it soon.
i was wondering if youve finished it and if you have any tips or issues you ram across.
if you could get back with me that would be cool, thanks

OP
OP
Caine espinoza
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, my ATS stage 5 trans arrived in town yesterday. So I guess I’ll be the newest one on the forum to check their 545rfe stage 5 900hp rated trans. If it is as good as they say, then ill
Be happy, if not, then I’m contacting the fraud magician Clint Cannon directly from
My igloo here in northern isolated Canada!
its been a while since this post, i was wondering the trans worked.
you put it in a 1500?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trans is a beast! Day and night difference and zero issues. I’d definitely recommend if swapping in an 8 speed isn’t an option.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hey man
i know its been a while since this post but i was wondeing if youve finished the 8 speed swap in your ram. i emailed sound german engenering and they sent me the swap kit instructions and parts list ( it is much more detailed then i expected) that is required for the swap so im about to attempt it soon.
i was wondering if youve finished it and if you have any tips or issues you ram across.
Yup, it is working great. See this thread that had some issues that guys have run across, myself included.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
hey man
could you send over the swap kit instructions/parts list?