66RFE Trans Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
When you put on the spin on filter, was onto plastic threads?
Oh yeah, all the way on and seated. I'm super paranoid about being wrong about "gasket contact" so I rotate to the point of contact then I'm on and off, on and off (point of gasket contact) until I positively ID gasket contact, and that point must be at least 5 full rotations onto the plastic threads. And from there, I'll usually go a another half to one full turn depending on required torque. I wiggle, wobble and gently turn the filter the whole way making sure I don't miss read any friction as gasket contact. I was well threaded up the plastic shaft.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

Dawgn86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would bet than you installed it as good as their tech would have; I guess they have on on their technicalities. I helped neighbor change one last year. On my 2012 Jeep Cherokee, I decided to let the dealer do it.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You said brother, I wasted my money on their b.s, lifetime warranty, and no matter what I aint going back to my untuned 4.10 brick. I'm just to high in elevation (or to high a speed freak) I'm still dig'n where it's run'n.
Cam Swap and head work or Suspension Is next, I can't decide Yet.

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

I wouldn't rush on that cam swap. According to Modern Muscle Xtreme, the 6.4 BGE geometry requires a unique camshaft profile. And anything likely worth the cost requires a spring swap which means the heads are coming off. And while you're in there the problematic MDS lifters should be replaced. So, it's an expensive proposition.

Jordan patterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am currently experiencing a similar mechanical issue. I've had the trans solenoid recall done and it still shifts like ****. I have procal set correctly but the dealer still said there was nothing wrong with the trans operation and made sure to document that I have "oversize" tires and they recommend a re-gear. Fast forward to last week, I pull out onto the highway and have to stab the go pedal to get up to speed in front of a speeding little honda that came around a blind corner and the truck shutters like its slipping and the dash light flashes like crazy. Then again this weekend I go to pass a cattle trailer so I stab the pedal again downshifting from 4th to 3rd and same thing except it goes into limp mode as soon as I get past the cattle trailer!

I have my complaints documented pretty well at the dealer but I feel like they will deny any claim due to my 37's.... Anyone know if they would shoot warranty down for oversize tires? My truck is a '15 Power Wagon with 47k miles on it currently. I really don't have 5k to throw at this right now...I am remodeling my POS house and have two kids in braces!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Ya not going to like this suggestion but it's probably the least expensive.........put the original size tires back on to see if issue goes away.......if not dealer should have no issue with repair.....if it does well you have no choice but to regear to run 37's

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am currently experiencing a similar mechanical issue. I've had the trans solenoid recall done and it still shifts like ****. I have procal set correctly but the dealer still said there was nothing wrong with the trans operation and made sure to document that I have "oversize" tires and they recommend a re-gear. Fast forward to last week, I pull out onto the highway and have to stab the go pedal to get up to speed in front of a speeding little honda that came around a blind corner and the truck shutters like its slipping and the dash light flashes like crazy. Then again this weekend I go to pass a cattle trailer so I stab the pedal again downshifting from 4th to 3rd and same thing except it goes into limp mode as soon as I get past the cattle trailer!

I have my complaints documented pretty well at the dealer but I feel like they will deny any claim due to my 37's.... Anyone know if they would shoot warranty down for oversize tires? My truck is a '15 Power Wagon with 47k miles on it currently. I really don't have 5k to throw at this right now...I am remodeling my POS house and have two kids in braces!
Sorry to hear that your trans is acting up, I know how I felt when mine was doing it, not a good feeling for sure. Did the system throw any error code, illuminate CEL, when the limp mode event happened?
What did you or the dealer do to get the truck out of limp mode and back to normal operation?

'16 RAM 2500 pw with a Badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n a 6.4L w 6spd
CAI / ARH LTs / Solo / 5.13 AAM / 35" Mickey MTs / DOR / Alfa / Custom Graphics / 4% VLT Tint