66rfe transmission in 16 2500 is driving me nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My Power Wagon w/6.4l & 4.10 gears with the same trans, shifts perfectly. I think the problem lies in the too small 5.7l & too high 3.42 gears.

3.42 gears is only with the Cummins in the HD trucks.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 6.4 with the 4.10's and hated the shift strategy and firmness. Obviously done for economy but felt incredibly lazy compared to my friend's Rebel with the 8 speed. As mentioned, the HF tune made a big improvement over the stock tuning. Probably not an option for most since you have tune and likely void your warranty in the process.

Mine is a 2015 so perhaps they've improved things a bit over the years.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My 2017 2500 CCLB 6.4 with 4.10s used to be way worse when it had under 6k miles on it. Now has almost 14k. Still isn't great so I added a PC. That helped a lot. Also, don't leave it in Drive. Use the manual gear limiter to prevent MDS from coming on. I haven't had the horrible shudder in about 5k miles or so.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Maybe that's how mine got better :)
It's cause you drive conservatively, I did WOT driving from stops for like 2k miles and now the transmission down shifts into lower gears to maintain RPM's. It almost has too much engine breaking...almost.

Put your foot into it, the transmission will adapt.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can't, it's not an option on any 2500 or 3500.

paul c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t think I’ve posted here before but my 16 2500 with the 6.4 has been shuddering since it was a month old. Became more pronounced and common over the past year or 15k. Drove with the service manager and I got it to happen. Dropped it off to get worked on and they said that each time it happened #7 would misfire? Never had a CEL but I did complain of a slight knock when first driving and a puff of blue smoke occasionally. They ended up replacing the long block and the condition is still there. They finally had another customer with the same complaint and engineering told them something about the pinion and it’s normal. I do have a case with Chrysler and am constantly discussing it with them because it is not normal. They said the more complaints they get then the more attention it will get, so if yours is under warranty please call the 800 number and complain. The squeaky wheel(s) get the grease. 800-922-1997

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Don’t think I’ve posted here before but my 16 2500 with the 6.4 has been shuddering since it was a month old. Became more pronounced and common over the past year or 15k. Drove with the service manager and I got it to happen. Dropped it off to get worked on and they said that each time it happened #7 would misfire? Never had a CEL but I did complain of a slight knock when first driving and a puff of blue smoke occasionally. They ended up replacing the long block and the condition is still there. They finally had another customer with the same complaint and engineering told them something about the pinion and it’s normal. I do have a case with Chrysler and am constantly discussing it with them because it is not normal. They said the more complaints they get then the more attention it will get, so if yours is under warranty please call the 800 number and complain. The squeaky wheel(s) get the grease. 800-922-1997
The more complaints they get, the more "normal" it is to them. It's not a bug, it's a feature!