7" lift - 5th gen / RWD/ 2 piece driveshaft - do I need carrier bearing kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I just had a 7” Maxtrac lift installed on my 2021 RWD Bighorn, I have a 2 piece driveshaft (quad cab, 6’4” bed). Do I need the carrier bearing spacer/drop kit? It wasn’t an option to order from Maxtrac for my model year, but I can order it for the older year (should fit mine) or order from Zone for my year.

I reached out to Maxtrac via email, they claim it’s not necessary for the 19 and newer model year. However…there is noticeably more vibration than pre install (when there was none), specifically between 52-58 mph, maybe this is what’s causing it?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I just had a 7” Maxtrac lift installed on my 2021 RWD Bighorn, I have a 2 piece driveshaft (quad cab, 6’4” bed). Do I need the carrier bearing spacer/drop kit? It wasn’t an option to order from Maxtrac for my model year, but I can order it for the older year (should fit mine) or order from Zone for my year.

I reached out to Maxtrac via email, they claim it’s not necessary for the 19 and newer model year. However…there is noticeably more vibration than pre install (when there was none), specifically between 52-58 mph, maybe this is what’s causing it?
What does your angle look like

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
You do need the carrier bearing kit ... it's only $45, install it only takes like 10 minutes if that, if the vibrations don't go away then that's not the issue, but I was told by Maxtrac that you actually do need them on any lift kit over 4" if you have the 2 piece drive shaft

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
You’re going to need adjustable control arms to dial that angle in. I’m sure most trucks are good and you are one of the few that needs The pinion angle dialed in.
Great, now I feel special :p.. so, that’s what is causing the vibrations, before I buy those, and have more work done? I just went for a ride, paying close attention, and there is definitely “some” very minor vibration at all speeds, just most noticeable at that 50-60 mph range. Id almost describe it as subsonic, which is strange, but It sort of makes my ears pop, more than it shakes the truck. and only when I have my foot on the accelerator.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Great, now I feel special :p.. so, that’s what is causing the vibrations, before I buy those, and have more work done? I just went for a ride, paying close attention, and there is definitely “some” very minor vibration at all speeds, just most noticeable at that 50-60 mph range. Id almost describe it as subsonic, which is strange, but It sort of makes my ears pop, more than it shakes the truck. and only when I have my foot on the accelerator.
Hopefully that’s not your ring gear singing

Who did the lift?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@brunzca i would probably recommend buying a zone rear box kit to get the relocation brackets and bump stop extensions. I would order the driveshaft carrier to test out the angles

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Ok cool it was an off-road shop. How did they feel about the angles?
He didn’t mention it, thought everything was great when I picked it up. I didn’t notice any issues until late yesterday, so won’t be able to check with him until Monday (he’s closed today). The issue we had was that Maxtrac sent the wrong rear kit, they sent the old model year kit (wrong shocks, wrong coils, sway bar adapters, etc). As my mechanic told me “he made everything work”, cut the coils, welded the adapters, etc. just the shocks didn’t work, so had Maxtrac overnight a new kit. He didn’t even replace those, said that his welds were better than the bolt-ons. Just put in the correct shocks when they got there, and was good to go. So, I’ll ask him and Maxtrac Monday, and see what they think. if I’m going to need to buy more parts, and pay for more labor, just to get the expected result I won’t be thrilled, since Maxtrac is supposed to be a “stock ride” bolt on.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
He didn’t mention it, thought everything was great when I picked it up. I didn’t notice any issues until late yesterday, so won’t be able to check with him until Monday (he’s closed today). The issue we had was that Maxtrac sent the wrong rear kit, they sent the old model year kit (wrong shocks, wrong coils, sway bar adapters, etc). As my mechanic told me “he made everything work”, cut the coils, welded the adapters, etc. just the shocks didn’t work, so had Maxtrac overnight a new kit. He didn’t even replace those, said that his welds were better than the bolt-ons. Just put in the correct shocks when they got there, and was good to go. So, I’ll ask him and Maxtrac Monday, and see what they think. if I’m going to need to buy more parts, and pay for more labor, just to get the expected result I won’t be thrilled, since Maxtrac is supposed to be a “stock ride” bolt on.
It is supposed to be but some trucks need a little more love than other’s (very few) I will admit this custom “made to fit” makes me nervous. I own a suspension shop in PA so 99.99% of my stuff is 4x4 but the rear is the same. I mention my shop because we see a lot of other shops work

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
It is supposed to be but some trucks need a little more love than other’s (very few) I will admit this custom “made to fit” makes me nervous. I own a suspension shop in PA so 99.99% of my stuff is 4x4 but the rear is the same. I mention my shop because we see a lot of other shops work
I was too, but hes been in business 25+ years and has a really good reputation around town. So, I’ll see what he has to say tomorrow, I’m pretty confident that he will do whatever he can on his end to make it right.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I was too, but hes been in business 25+ years and has a really good reputation around town. So, I’ll see what he has to say tomorrow, I’m pretty confident that he will do whatever he can on his end to make it right.
Maybe play dumb and say you’re getting a vibration. Was the rear diff fluid changed recently? I see residue around the fill hole it’s possible that the correct fluid wasn’t used or under filled and it’s the ring and pinion and nothing to do with the lift

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Agreed - I’m not going to suggest anything at all, other than say theres a vibration…. I saw that fluid, too, but I don’t know if its related? I haven’t had any fluids changed, at all, other than an oil change about 5k miles ago (only 10k miles on the truck). It would be a strange coincidence, since there was no vibration when I drove it in and dropped it off, though. There is also moisture on other areas of the differential, so may have just run through a puddle when I was out running errands earlier That morning. (And ive Never seen any drips/stains on the driveway). Will check it this morning, to be sure
796F08F4-8E6E-4968-B971-F1E14408A094.jpeg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963