7" lift - 5th gen / RWD/ 2 piece driveshaft - do I need carrier bearing kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Took a measurement and picture ... you need 1 1/2 " of spacers for it to work right ...

If you can stack the 1" and 1/2 " you should be good20220312_100533.jpg

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Took a measurement and picture ... you need 1 1/2 " of spacers for it to work right ...

If you can stack the 1" and 1/2 " you should be goodView attachment 488271
I appreciate that, and I respect that you have the experience. But.. maxtrac says the spacers aren’t needed for the 2019 and newer models.

If 2” was worse than stock, and 1” was still worse than stock, it doesn’t make sense that 1.5” isn’t going to fix it, the result would just be somewhere between those.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I appreciate that, and I respect that you have the experience. But.. maxtrac says the spacers aren’t needed for the 2019 and newer models.

If 2” was worse than stock, and 1” was still worse than stock, it doesn’t make sense that 1.5” isn’t going to fix it, the result would just be somewhere between those.
How hard is it to just do the 1 1/2" stacked spacers ? Really Man, you added the 2" that dropped it too low, the 1/2" didn't drop it enough, the 1 1/2" drops it just perfect for the driveshaft to have the correct angles ...

But hey you can't work with stubborn people and I understand that ... go ahead and continue to scratch your head and possibly more headaches ...

Just because Maxtrac says you don't need them doesn't make it true ... you obviously have a vibration due to the driveshaft not being angled correctly, the only way to do so is by adding the exact amount of drop and the exact drop is 1 1/2" ...

You are going to end up paying tons of money to correct something that doesn't need to be corrected ... seriously how hard is it to try the 1 1/2" ? Try it, you already have the required spacers do so, if it doesn't work you can then say that this was not the fix ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Here you go, even in the install instructions it says you might have to stack spacers for additional adjustment ... look at step #4

Keep in mind, your rear is not a 7" lift, it's only 4" which is why you wouldn't get it corrected with a 2" spacer because that is for 7" of total rear lift or with the 1" spacer because that is for 4" of lift, "but" the extra 1" spacer corrects the angle ...

I am just trying to help you out, save you some money ..

Another thing to keep in mind, zone really doesn't do R&D for 2wd Rams and Maxtrac didn't offer lift kits for 4x4s up until the 2021s because now you can lift them with coilovers in the front .... most 4x4s only have the 1 piece drive shaft which you can't even use the carrier bearing kit on, that is when you need the adjustable rear control arms to correct the angles ....

On the 2wds you have mostly 2 piece driveshafts and you can correct the angle with the carrier bearing kit ...

Don't be stubborn, swallow that pride and do the 1 1/2" drop instead of the 2" or 1/2" .... what do you have to lose .....SMH

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 11-45-14 325305714330e34ee8c5e54a8421b6955c47df79_D5407.pdf.png

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
It’s not pride.. lol.

I did 2”, and I did 1”. Both were worse than stock. So, logic says that 1.5, between the two, will be better than 2”, but worse than 1”.

All I have to lose is the time it takes to do it, nothing else. It just seems like a waste. It’s not costing me anything either way, and I’m not being stubborn. I’m just not trying to waste any more time on something that logically isn’t going to work, based on what I’ve already tried.

But, what the hellll. I’ll try the 1.5 tomorrow before I switch it back to stock and report back.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
It’s not pride.. lol.

I did 2”, and I did 1”. Both were worse than stock. So, logic says that 1.5, between the two, will be better than 2”, but worse than 1”.

All I have to lose is the time it takes to do it, nothing else. It just seems like a waste. It’s not costing me anything either way, and I’m not being stubborn. I’m just not trying to waste any more time on something that logically isn’t going to work, based on what I’ve already tried.

But, what the hellll. I’ll try the 1.5 tomorrow before I switch it back to stock and report back.
Nice ! lol ... It has to work @brunzca ... I went a few months I think wondering why mine was vibrating ... I looked around and around and finally came across a video on youtube ... I then asked Maxtrac about it because my kit also did not come with the carrier bearing kit and "they" said it wasn't needed ... but the videos said if you have the 7" lift with 2 piece drive shaft install it ...

Think about it ... just a few degrees off will throw the angles off .. you are talking about 1/2 inch .. an inch and 2 inches ... that is quite a change in the angles ...

It's going to work !!!!! If it doesn't "I" am going to be pissed for you lol ....

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Nice ! lol ... It has to work @brunzca ... I went a few months I think wondering why mine was vibrating ... I looked around and around and finally came across a video on youtube ... I then asked Maxtrac about it because my kit also did not come with the carrier bearing kit and "they" said it wasn't needed ... but the videos said if you have the 7" lift with 2 piece drive shaft install it ...

Think about it ... just a few degrees off will throw the angles off .. you are talking about 1/2 inch .. an inch and 2 inches ... that is quite a change in the angles ...

It's going to work !!!!! If it doesn't "I" am going to be pissed for you lol ....
At the very least, I cant say I didn’t try!

After this, if its something like an unbalanced tire, I’m gonna really be mad… because I got the tires from the same guy who installed the lift. (And they werent a problem for 5000 miles before the lift went on) Hahaha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
At the very least, I cant say I didn’t try!

After this, if its something like an unbalanced tire, I’m gonna really be mad… because I got the tires from the same guy who installed the lift. (And they werent a problem for 5000 miles before the lift went on) Hahaha
Yes ! process of elimination whilst spending the least amount of money right now ... I honestly doubt it's related to your tires, the vibration happened after you installed the 7" lift kit, 2 piece drive shaft, I am willing to bet that the carrier bearing kit is going to solve this issue my friend ...

Also forgot to mention, the zone 6" lift kit is completely different from the Maxtrac 7" ... the Maxtrac carrier bearing kit is intended to be used with all 3 spacers for the 7" lift kit and with the zone you only use the 1" most of the times from what I have been seeing around the internet ....

So look forward to waking up early in the morning tomorrow, slap the 1" and 1/2" spacers together and then go for a drive .... I hope you get a smile once you do so !!!

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Yes ! process of elimination whilst spending the least amount of money right now ... I honestly doubt it's related to your tires, the vibration happened after you installed the 7" lift kit, 2 piece drive shaft, I am willing to bet that the carrier bearing kit is going to solve this issue my friend ...

Also forgot to mention, the zone 6" lift kit is completely different from the Maxtrac 7" ... the Maxtrac carrier bearing kit is intended to be used with all 3 spacers for the 7" lift kit and with the zone you only use the 1" most of the times from what I have been seeing around the internet ....

So look forward to waking up early in the morning tomorrow, slap the 1" and 1/2" spacers together and then go for a drive .... I hope you get a smile once you do so !!!
I hope you’re right, I will never have been happier to gladly admit that I was 100% wrong in my assumption!!

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I did manage to get some LED strips installed for my

Well, I’ll be dammed. I am the first to say I’m wrong when warranted, and this appears to me one of those occasions! After a 15-20 minute test ride, the 1.5” seems to have done the trick! I’ll give it a couple days with my full commute to be sure, but the vibration I’ve had up until now at 50-60 mph, every other time, is gone. Thanks to all, @Quick_Shifter (again) and especially @CheechDogg.0n37s

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

Well, I’ll be dammed. I am the first to say I’m wrong when warranted, and this appears to me one of those occasions! After a 15-20 minute test ride, the 1.5” seems to have done the trick! I’ll give it a couple days with my full commute to be sure, but the vibration I’ve had up until now at 50-60 mph, every other time, is gone. Thanks to all, @Quick_Shifter (again) and especially @CheechDogg.0n37s
Hell yeah brunzca!!!! I am super fawken happy for yah' dude !!!!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

So any update on this ?

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
So any update on this ?
Dammit man.. I’ve thought about posting the update I promised, literally every day this week that I got in the truck. But just been so busy, I kept forgetting.

Soooo. I think its good. Still some vibration here and there, but I’m pretty sure that’s just road related (and exacerbated from the lift). Some possible worse vibration at slowing/stopping on occasion. But, definitely NOT the same issues from before; no vibration at the 50-60MPH that I was experiencing.

Thank you, and all, so much!!! I can’t thank you enough. Saved me so much hassle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Dammit man.. I’ve thought about posting the update I promised, literally every day this week that I got in the truck. But just been so busy, I kept forgetting.

Soooo. I think its good. Still some vibration here and there, but I’m pretty sure that’s just road related (and exacerbated from the lift). Some possible worse vibration at slowing/stopping on occasion. But, definitely NOT the same issues from before; no vibration at the 50-60MPH that I was experiencing.

Thank you, and all, so much!!! I can’t thank you enough. Saved me so much hassle
Good stuff man .... yeah I get some vibrations here and there but it's due to the tires needing to get rebalanced ... my center console vibrates the most for some reason lol ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
@Zach58 take a look at this thread ... it's the same thing that is happening to your truck homie ... while @Quick_Shifter might be very experienced with the 4x4 applications I have now fixed this very issue you are having by adding the carrier bearing kit spacer from maxtrac ...

If you are still having the vibrations, clunking "then" replace the ujoints, but you don't want to replace ujoints just to have them fail again because you didn't fix the driveshaft alignment/angle ...

The OP @brunzca was very skeptical about this but he finally gave in lol ..... truth is in the pudding ...;)

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Zach58 take a look at this thread ... it's the same thing that is happening to your truck homie ... while @Quick_Shifter might be very experienced with the 4x4 applications I have now fixed this very issue you are having by adding the carrier bearing kit spacer from maxtrac ...

If you are still having the vibrations, clunking "then" replace the ujoints, but you don't want to replace ujoints just to have them fail again because you didn't fix the driveshaft alignment/angle ...

The OP @brunzca was very skeptical about this but he finally gave in lol ..... truth is in the pudding ...;)
I just installed the carrier bearing kit last night. Something definitely feels better, much smoother when accelerating from a stop. But the clunking sound still is there. And I was thinking that when I was installing it actually, the U joints seem to have a little play when I wiggle it with my hands.
Everything underneath my truck is so clean for a 2015 it almost looks brand new, except for my drive shaft lol. The whole thing is completely rusted. Have you replaced you U-joints? If so do you have the link by chance?

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi