7 way trailer wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I'm considering selling my mega cab to my parents who recently bought a horse trailer and need something bigger to tow it. This trailer even dwarfs my MC surprisingly. It's a 7 way with brakes. My 06 MC has the blue plug behind the dash for the controller but 4-way wiring hanging down at the bumper. I can get an a/m controller for about $55 but I'm wondering what I have to do at the bumper side to get the 7-way wiring. Are there blank plugs already there since the wiring is in the dash for the controller?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, need this: p/n 82207253AB

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's an 06 and it doesn't have the 7 pin plug? That's very odd because you say you have the blue plug under the dash. I have an 02 and I have both a 4 pin and a 7 pin in my bumper. The 4 pin hangs under the bumper where as the 7 pin is built into the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's an 06 and it doesn't have the 7 pin plug? That's very odd because you say you have the blue plug under the dash. I have an 02 and I have both a 4 pin and a 7 pin in my bumper. The 4 pin hangs under the bumper where as the 7 pin is built into the bumper.

Not necessarily. My 03 didn't come with tow package (just the 4 flat under the bumper) but I have the brake controller plug up under the dash. I used the kit above to add 7 pin.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not necessarily. My 03 didn't come with tow package (just the 4 flat under the bumper) but I have the brake controller plug up under the dash. I used the kit above to add 7 pin.
Ah that makes sense. I totally forgot that the tow package is a separate option.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my 08 didnt have it either, it did have the hitch tho..odd.

But was it a factory/oem hitch? Very easy to add if ti wasn't built with it. Only way to know for sure is run your build sheet.

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
The late model 2500 and 3500 the hitch is the rear frame so it'll always be there. Mine has the hole for the 7 way plug but harness has nothing. Will that kit truly be plug and play along with a TBC? No configuring or anything. Looks like it's got a couple extra wires.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The late model 2500 and 3500 the hitch is the rear frame so it'll always be there. Mine has the hole for the 7 way plug but harness has nothing. Will that kit truly be plug and play along with a TBC? No configuring or anything. Looks like it's got a couple extra wires.

The bar yes (1500 is the same way) but not necessarily the receiver, that was what I had to get. The kit is plug and play for third gens. Side effect was that I ended up with an extra 4 blade underneath lol. You'll just have to run some wire from the back to the front and into the cab.