71 Hemi Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, the Hemi's are/were beasts, but the 426 variety needed a big gear to show itself. High gears and Hemi's don't mix well off the line, but once they get into their torque range, nothing else compares with them. That's why NHRA set the rpm cap for Pro Stock at, I think 10,500. Chevy's worked great in that range but the Hemi was just getting started.
I've never heard of an RPM limit in Pro Stock,just a cubic inch limit,that's not to say they didn't set an rpm limit,but it's not in any of my NHRA rule books,but my books only go back to 2015 ,the wife threw out my real old rule books awhile ago,aarrgghh.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never heard of an RPM limit in Pro Stock,just a cubic inch limit,that's not to say they didn't set an rpm limit,but it's not in any of my NHRA rule books,but my books only go back to 2015 ,the wife threw out my real old rule books awhile ago,aarrgghh.
I don't remember the year, but when Allen Johnson was winning Pro Stock on a regular basis, along with some other Mopar drivers, They limited the rpm's to either 10,000 or 10,500, not sure which. That's just when the Hemi really starts to come alive. So if you can set your rev limiter to say, 12,000 rpm and get into the Hemi torque range as opposed to 10,000-10,500, you have effectively limited the Hemi advantage.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, the whole idea behind Hemi is high rpm breathing, right? So of course they weren't out-of-the-hole engines. High compression small blocks or just plain old big blocks could beat 'em off the line.

So why are they used for Top Fuel Drags? Because they jump to 10,000 rpm right away!

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Yeah, the Hemi's are/were beasts, but the 426 variety needed a big gear to show itself. High gears and Hemi's don't mix well off the line, but once they get into their torque range, nothing else compares with them. That's why NHRA set the rpm cap for Pro Stock at, I think 10,500. Chevy's worked great in that range but the Hemi was just getting started.
I accidentally reved mine over 9k rpm once. Things were sure happening fast. It really did sound fantastic though.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
The Hemi when modded was the king,but in stock form a 440 was a better engine for the street and as a daily driver.What did the car run for you?
I wasn't the sharpest driver at the track. Best was a 10:13 .