8.3 Cummins in a 91 W250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91hopesanddreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I bought my dream truck 91 W250 with a 5.9 Cummins, manual 5speed, long bed, 4x4. It’s already in pieces and already have some replacement parts for it but the engine is my next project. I could rebuild the engine, replace it with a 5.9 industrial or go big and put in a 8.3 combine engine. Thoughts and opinions.
Edit:this will be a work-farm truck hauling hay, grain, and equipment, not some weekend toy.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I would guess the 8.3 is 400+ lbs heavier, as well as physically bigger. I think I'd just build a healthy, useable(not gonzo) 5.9 if you intend to actually work it.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
The 8.3 is a good 6" longer, and somewhat taller. This will not be an easy fit.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I too say stay with the 5.9 12V.
iT'S ALREADY TRIED & TRUE.
NOW I worked at a Dodge dealership back when those trucks were what we worked on . I got about 15 years around them.
We literally worked on 100 of these truck a week.
UNLESS It got more than 500,000 miles on it .. It doesn't need rebuilding .
In all those years we never just rebuild one due to time.
Now we did build a bunch due to a crank gone bad . & Put short block in a bunch .. But it was never just because it's / time for a rebuild .
SO Put new gaskets on it adjust the valves. Replace the front cover & do the KILLER DOWELL Pin.. What seals .. Seal off the vacuum pump & Power steering pump area. If you take the pan off. I'll say check the Rod bearings .. Most i've seen didn't even have any wear. at 350,000 miles.
If you split it into between the motor & Bell housing .. Inspect your clutch & Pressure plate. Shifting fork. & pilot bearing & Throw out bearing . & even the front bearing in the 5 speed. & 5th gear in the trans If you have the skills. Or take it into another shop.
& Since you wanting to tidy up the truck Replace the water pump & Thermostat . & Then replace all the sensors on the motor .Use Chrysler parts if possible. & ''do not'' PUT ON A K&N air filter..
One year I was at Dodge we replaced 15 motors & 13 of those motors was due to the K&N FILTERS.. THEY LET too much dust into the motors .
we put in new short blocks.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I too say stay with the 5.9 12V.
iT'S ALREADY TRIED & TRUE.
NOW I worked at a Dodge dealership back when those trucks were what we worked on . I got about 15 years around them.
We literally worked on 100 of these truck a week.
UNLESS It got more than 500,000 miles on it .. It doesn't need rebuilding .
In all those years we never just rebuild one due to time.
Now we did build a bunch due to a crank gone bad . & Put short block in a bunch .. But it was never just because it's / time for a rebuild .
SO Put new gaskets on it adjust the valves. Replace the front cover & do the KILLER DOWELL Pin.. What seals .. Seal off the vacuum pump & Power steering pump area. If you take the pan off. I'll say check the Rod bearings .. Most i've seen didn't even have any wear. at 350,000 miles.
If you split it into between the motor & Bell housing .. Inspect your clutch & Pressure plate. Shifting fork. & pilot bearing & Throw out bearing . & even the front bearing in the 5 speed. & 5th gear in the trans If you have the skills. Or take it into another shop.
& Since you wanting to tidy up the truck Replace the water pump & Thermostat . & Then replace all the sensors on the motor .Use Chrysler parts if possible. & ''do not'' PUT ON A K&N air filter..
One year I was at Dodge we replaced 15 motors & 13 of those motors was due to the K&N FILTERS.. THEY LET too much dust into the motors .
we put in new short blocks.
Nice , very solid advice .

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thank you Daw... yes those many years I saw lot of crazy stuff.
& We were the largest Diesel dealership in Texas ..
& We had 3 of the nation top Techs .. Top meaning no 1 to 1000 ..ratings ..& Even out guys that weren't ranked were rather good also.
& Our shop foreman walked the shop poking his head in on almost every job.
& Then drove them to check for correctness on the finished repairs.
.....I hated the place but loved the quality of repairs we did. cALLED FIXED RIGHT THE 1ST TIME..
iT NO LONGER HAS the reputation we had.