8.4 screen starting to delaminate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I got to a local dealer today and said it’s not covered and my warranty ended dec 2020 but I only got the vehicle in dec 2018. Cost to replace the radio is $1080 and no timeframe for replacement with all the shortages.

Btw this is a 2018 with 36036 miles but I have been dragging my feet for a few months.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's to bad @blackbetty14 since you're barely over in miles. That is cheaper than I was quoted BTW.

Reach out to infotainment and see if they could repair/replace the screen. Check out the links below.

MarylandHawk100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Diesel
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I bought a used 2018 Ram 1500 diesel. The touchscreen appears to be separating (delaminating?) along the top half of the screen. That has not been the problem, however. The problem is that sometimes, usually when it's wet outside, the radio (including the GPS and phone sections) will seem to short out and randomly jump around to different stations. It even jumps from the radio mode (FM/AM/Sat) to GPS on it's own and then randomly selects all the different options in the location section.
Not much I can do other than turn the sound down (you can't turn the radio off for some reason). Luckily it doesn't happen too often and it will go away if you drive for a bit and then turn the truck off and let it rest for a bit.
Anybody else have similar issues? Any idea if replacing the radio and/or the touchscreen would help?
Lastly, does everyone having problems on delaminating have a 2018 Ram? Seems to be.
Thanks.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not just our Rams that have this problem. You can either purchase a new stock radio (over a thousand) or you could check out the links I posted above. You may get lucky and infotainment can fix it for you. You could also look into purchasing an aftermarket radio. Search the forum, lots of information and posts regarding replacing the radio.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I bought a used 2018 Ram 1500 diesel. The touchscreen appears to be separating (delaminating?) along the top half of the screen. That has not been the problem, however. The problem is that sometimes, usually when it's wet outside, the radio (including the GPS and phone sections) will seem to short out and randomly jump around to different stations. It even jumps from the radio mode (FM/AM/Sat) to GPS on it's own and then randomly selects all the different options in the location section.
Not much I can do other than turn the sound down (you can't turn the radio off for some reason). Luckily it doesn't happen too often and it will go away if you drive for a bit and then turn the truck off and let it rest for a bit.
Anybody else have similar issues? Any idea if replacing the radio and/or the touchscreen would help?
Lastly, does everyone having problems on delaminating have a 2018 Ram? Seems to be.
Thanks.
What you are describing is referred to as "ghost touches". The cure is a replacement screen.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Mines been doing the ghost touches and it’s always on the clock (top middle) so my radio is basically unusable some days bc once it starts it doesn’t stop. I can’t change a station or do much bc it’s constant like every sec or 3 sec till I shut if off and wait a while. Didn’t happen to me this morning on my way to work but did it on my way home and it’s a 40min drive and not really fun as it flashes the screen with a pop up asking if I want to change the time and I have to exit out of it. I find it odd that it started happening right after daylight savings time a few weeks back and I think there was also a unconnect update around then too.

There is no way to inject new adhesive to fill the voids?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mines been doing the ghost touches and it’s always on the clock (top middle) so my radio is basically unusable some days bc once it starts it doesn’t stop. I can’t change a station or do much bc it’s constant like every sec or 3 sec till I shut if off and wait a while. Didn’t happen to me this morning on my way to work but did it on my way home and it’s a 40min drive and not really fun as it flashes the screen with a pop up asking if I want to change the time and I have to exit out of it. I find it odd that it started happening right after daylight savings time a few weeks back and I think there was also a unconnect update around then too.

There is no way to inject new adhesive to fill the voids?
I believe it occurs more if you are using your heat.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 2018 and started doing the same thing. Brought it in. Dealer took one look at it and ordered me a new radio. Called me when it came. When I finally brought it back for the install, it was very quick. New radio is great so far.

This is a very known problem, especially on the 2018’s. Don’t hesitate to bring it to the dealer and if they give you a hard time, reach out to Chrysler or Ram Cares.