8.4 screen starting to delaminate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just noticed it about a week ago. Thought my screen protector might be coming off but when I peeled it off, up in the upper right and left hand corners, I have these little cloud shaped bubbles in the screen.

I guess I could make my first claim towards the ole Mopar MVP lifetime warranty that I have being that I’ve had my truck for longer than three years and 30,000 miles but since I don’t really have anything else wrong with the truck, it’s gonna cost me $100 to have them replace a two or $300 screen so is there any better alternatives out there that I could get?

I watched a YouTube video the other day were some guy showed a tutorial on how to take the radio apart and replace the screen which seems fairly easy but the guy never did put a link in his description that said where he bought the screen. I just know he spent around 150, 170 bucks.

Truck is a 2018 ram 1500 Limited 4 x 4 crew cab with the Apple CarPlay and android auto enabled 8.4 Uconnect which I believe is the 4C.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just noticed it about a week ago. Thought my screen protector might be coming off but when I peeled it off, up in the upper right and left hand corners, I have these little cloud shaped bubbles in the screen.

I guess I could make my first claim towards the ole Mopar MVP lifetime warranty that I have being that I’ve had my truck for longer than three years and 30,000 miles but since I don’t really have anything else wrong with the truck, it’s gonna cost me $100 to have them replace a two or $300 screen so is there any better alternatives out there that I could get?

I watched a YouTube video the other day were some guy showed a tutorial on how to take the radio apart and replace the screen which seems fairly easy but the guy never did put a link in his description that said where he bought the screen. I just know he spent around 150, 170 bucks.

Truck is a 2018 ram 1500 Limited 4 x 4 crew cab with the Apple CarPlay and android auto enabled 8.4 Uconnect which I believe is the 4C.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go the warranty route. Screen prices have skyrocketed...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, finally got my new radio put in today, only took about an hour and no more bubbles. Came with an unlimited mileage two-year warranty that if it happens again, they'll replace it for free.

But according to the service manager, the new radios have a different glue in there that holds I'm assuming the touchscreen portion on to the screen which is what the fault was on the older radios, the glue they used wasn't real resistant to heat so hopefully this is the last time it has to be messed with. Oh and, I was assuming these radios where made by Panasonic but supposedly they're made directly by Uconnect.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if I needn’t take a chance on installing another screen protector on this one? I had one on the original radio. I took it off long before getting the new radio.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I wonder if I needn’t take a chance on installing another screen protector on this one? I had one on the original radio. I took it off long before getting the new radio.
I have a 2018 with no issues. I don't have a screen protector and wonder if it would do more bad than good like delamination.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2018 with no issues. I don't have a screen protector and wonder if it would do more bad than good like delamination.
Probably won't make a difference either way. The delamination issue is believed to be caused by a bad batch of Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA) used by LG Electronics a few years ago. My 2018 radio was fine for quite sometime until one day it wasn't. Started out a two hazy spots, one in each top corner of the display. It progressively spread down both sides. When I took the radio out of the dash the bottom edge of the display was coated with a sticky clear liquid. Ended up having to replace the display for $550.

The price of them has really shot up. Beware of cheap imitations from China with forged LG Electronics stickers on Aliexpress. I bought one and it delaminated in 3 days. Went through Aliexpress dispute. I did get my money back but it cost me $130 to ship the defective display back to China.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Probably won't make a difference either way. The delamination issue is believed to be caused by a bad batch of Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA) used by LG Electronics a few years ago. My 2018 radio was fine for quite sometime until one day it wasn't. Started out a two hazy spots, one in each top corner of the display. It progressively spread down both sides. When I took the radio out of the dash the bottom edge of the display was coated with a sticky clear liquid. Ended up having to replace the display for $550.

The price of them has really shot up. Beware of cheap imitations from China with forged LG Electronics stickers on Aliexpress. I bought one and it delaminated in 3 days. Went through Aliexpress dispute. I did get my money back but it cost me $130 to ship the defective display back to China.
Thanks for the reiteration. Probably as you typed this, I was reading in another thread one of your posts about this. Hopefully it never happens. Thanks again.

400 psi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This just started on mine a week ago and is spreading across the top. I called the dealership and I am out of warranty apparently. He told me I need to set up an appointment so he can keep the truck for a couple of hours and charge me a diagnostic fee. I asked if I could just bring it by for him to look at and provide me a quote to replace but that wasn't an option. seems a bit unnecessary for a 2018 with 34k....

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This just started on mine a week ago and is spreading across the top. I called the dealership and I am out of warranty apparently. He told me I need to set up an appointment so he can keep the truck for a couple of hours and charge me a diagnostic fee. I asked if I could just bring it by for him to look at and provide me a quote to replace but that wasn't an option. seems a bit unnecessary for a 2018 with 34k....
Same year and similar mileage on my truck and it just started as well.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is a moderate DIY project to replace the screen. PM @SitKneelBend He knows someone that has new screens for a fairly reasonable price. They are around $500 on Ebay if SKB's contact doesn't have anymore. The dealer will replace the entire unit for ~$1200 + Labor.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our 2018 started this last summer. It now has 46K miles on it. I have the Max Care 7yr/100K warranty but hesitate to take it in right now. I figured the supply was short like everything else electronics today and it is our only vehicle.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Our 2018 started this last summer. It now has 46K miles on it. I have the Max Care 7yr/100K warranty but hesitate to take it in right now. I figured the supply was short like everything else electronics today and it is our only vehicle.
I would go ahead and get on the waiting list. They don't need to remove your current radio until the new unit arrives (they will give you a brand new radio not just the screen).

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My 2018 started doing this in the last month or so. At the top, figured it wouldn’t be covered so afraid to take it in and be charged.

Attachments

• 52F5428C-F647-4FE0-8B76-0B026F8FCDC9.jpeg
    52F5428C-F647-4FE0-8B76-0B026F8FCDC9.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 started doing this in the last month or so. At the top, figured it wouldn’t be covered so afraid to take it in and be charged.
You never know. There was one person over on the other Ram forum site who actually got his 2018 radio replaced for free. I don’t know how, he claims he only has 17,000 miles on it but he’s out of the time limit by like 7 or seven months so all you can do is go to your dealer and try. It’s amazing how many 2018 models are having this very same problem.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It never hurts to try. Have the dealership diagnose the issue and work with @RamCares and Uconnect directly. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you're under 36,000 miles they may cover the cost. Those that have been over in years and miles haven't been as lucky.

I was under in miles and it was covered 100% on my 2018.