8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The glossiness of that screen protector would drive me up a tree. I hate reflections. I even pay extra to have the anti-reflective coating on the back and front of my glasses.
Disregard my last. Got to driving around with a passenger, the screen is nothing but passenger breasts...I have a matte screen protector I'm going to try instead that I will need to cut to fit.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disregard my last. Got to driving around with a passenger, the screen is nothing but passenger breasts...I have a matte screen protector I'm going to try instead that I will need to cut to fit.

Umm.. ....uhh ....... Maybe not a bad thing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Skajaquada77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT
Update: I finally got the call from the dealer, the unit was on backorder but it finally arrived, took about a month. I had it installed yesterday so I am good to go. Whole unit, not just the screen. Luckily it was still under warranty. You wouldnt believe how much the delaminating corners had moved during this month while waiting... i think another 2 months and the whole screen would have been gone.

DevilDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after some conversations with Ram Cares, and Dealership, the dealer said that they would replace it for me. I just need to pay $100, good faith (if you will) payment. This is MUCH better than the alternatives that I have had. They ordered the part and said that it should arrive in 5-7 days.

On a side note. When I arrived and explained to the guy who met me at the door and I stated why I was there, he said that I was the third person this week with this issue. I replied back and said, "and it's only Wednesday". lol You'd think that there would be some form of recall on these. Although, I'm not sure what the "fix" would be other than replacement.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, after some conversations with Ram Cares, and Dealership, the dealer said that they would replace it for me. I just need to pay $100, good faith (if you will) payment. This is MUCH better than the alternatives that I have had. They ordered the part and said that it should arrive in 5-7 days.

On a side note. When I arrived and explained to the guy who met me at the door and I stated why I was there, he said that I was the third person this week with this issue. I replied back and said, "and it's only Wednesday". lol You'd think that there would be some form of recall on these. Although, I'm not sure what the "fix" would be other than replacement.
That is an interesting/alarming response (3 in 1 week). It's worth $100 IMO. See if they let you keep the defective one and you'll be ahead of the game!

dailyminefield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'm really glad I found this thread. The touchscreen went from no issues to this in 4-6 weeks.
Has the cause ever been confirmed? Any preventative measures?
ram 2.jpg

f69tele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just brought mine in for that today. Service writer said it’s the third one this week. This is in a small town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just brought mine in for that today. Service writer said it’s the third one this week. This is in a small town!

I guess summer is getting to a bad production run?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The glossiness of that screen protector would drive me up a tree. I hate reflections. I even pay extra to have the anti-reflective coating on the back and front of my glasses.
OK, swapped screen protectors to this one which is the only matte protector I could find. It took 18 days to get here from Germany but goes over the factory protector nicely. Disregard the reviews and remove the HVAC bezel before installing to make it fit the entire screen (it covers all of the viewing area).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DVSYTTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GWZiFb94512TK

It is the most factory-like matte protector I've found. Only downside is the price but it includes two and the material is very forgiving to get it squared up and bubbles out.

4028a019e6c225df935e49fa26796358.jpg

f69tele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got my replacement radio put in today under warranty. Took them less than 30 minutes. Gonna try real hard to always park in the shade. Hope it lasts.

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On screens that are delaminating (appears as an air bubble)... the issue is between the LCD and digitizer. I have a UAQ that was in Florida I pulled out and had severe delam issues... (plus the anti reflective coating was worn heavily).

In cooler climates it repaired itself mostly, but knew it would come back once in my car in summer. I took the panel out and split the digitizer from the LCD panel and was met with sloppy and super-sticky glue. I believe the adhesive on these screens was improperly formulated or somehow breaks down with heat.. usually LOCA glue that binds phone touchscreen and LCD panels together is dry/solid once you split these pieces.

That being said, it appears the replacement prices on the screens have gone bonkers in recent months... no more sub-$100 panels.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed when I removed my uaq the case of the thing was so hot I could not hold it.and at work i handle hot things all the time my hands are accustomed to heat.it was hot enough to be a fire hazard in my opion.of course the screen wasn't hot to the touch but I believe the inside heat has something to do with the screen bubbling.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I noticed when I removed my uaq the case of the thing was so hot I could not hold it.and at work i handle hot things all the time my hands are accustomed to heat.it was hot enough to be a fire hazard in my opion.of course the screen wasn't hot to the touch but I believe the inside heat has something to do with the screen bubbling.
Completely passive cooling and it's tucked in where a lot of heat can soak through from the HVAC vents to either side. I noticed the same thing when I had an RA4 so when I put in a UAS I added two fans. I'm still thinking about insulating the HVAC vents too...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2189374

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

DrunkJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 with 45k miles did this. I contacted ram care and they opened a case on it. Had to get it diagnosed at the dealership and since they determined it is a manufacturer defect they are going to go ahead and replace it even though my B2B is out. Really happy with this customer service!

dm12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
peel the screen protector off with a hair dryer. Wipe the glue off with alcohol pads, then throw a $10 screen protector from amazon on it. This is exactly how an 8.4 that I just did looked on the edges, and same with a 12” screen that had a bunch of gouges in it. You don’t even have to disassemble the screen, just take the radio out of the dash.

On the one I did (UAS), removing the cover without removing the screen was not possible. There is a metal frame overlaying the edges of the factory screen protector and the adhesive used was definitely meant to be permanent.

Can either of you gentlemen speak to how the new screen protectors have held up ? thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can either of you gentlemen speak to how the new screen protectors have held up ? thanks!
Amazingly well, better than factory and fingerprints somehow just don't show up on this screen.