8.4A Radio: ID Cellular Antennae Connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone confirm which connector is for the cellular (Sprint CMDA) antenna?

Attachments

• IMG_1901_wm_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_1901_wm_1024x1024.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 827

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes the dark violet colored one on the far right of your picture its the Fakra D connector.

the antenna connectors are as shown in your pic from the left

1 AM / FM (CREAM WHITE)
2 SDAR satellite radio (CURRY MUSTARD COLOR)
3 GPS, never seen this used even in trucks that came from factory with RA3 or RA4 (HEATHER VIOLET)
4 GSM cellular for the embedded sierra wireless aircard (CLARET VIOLET)

Very curious why you are wanting this info? What are you thinking of doing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SOO helpful - thank you!!

I want to disable the embedded sierra wireless aircard. I do not accept the UConnect Terms of Service and Privacy Notices.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/privacy/

"Sprint may collect information from you or your vehicle (with Information You Give, all called “Collected Data”) which may include but not limited to:

Vehicle Data: information related to your vehicle, such as vehicle sensor data, diagnostic data, odometer readings, collision information, location information, information about when your ignition is turned on or off, speed, tire pressure data, performance data, information about accidents, driving history, etc.;

Location Information: GPS location information about your vehicle in the following circumstances: to respond to a request from inside the vehicle (e.g., when you request directions or conduct a point of interest search); to notify emergency service providers; to assist law enforcement as part of a request for stolen vehicle assistance; to protect your safety or the safety of others in our sole discretion (e.g., to locate a missing person); as part of the Vehicle Data for quality or research and development purposes; to provide the Uconnect Services; to send you Uconnect Services related messages or as may be required by law or regulations. Some of this data may be transmitted even after your ignition is off; and

User Experience Data: information about the way you use the Uconnect Services that helps FCA US and Sprint improve, customize or communicate about services which are offered to you.

Your information and your Vehicle Data (including Location Information) may be collected, used, disclosed, and shared in accordance with this Policy and U.S. laws, rules, and regulations. You consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this data, including by FCA US. Your vehicle, as manufactured, may include certain features that may collect Vehicle Data (including Location Information) even before you buy your vehicle, and before and after your use of the Uconnect Services. We may use this data for diagnostics, troubleshooting, and to provide vehicle health and other information to you. If we collect Location Information after you buy or lease your vehicle but before you register for the Uconnect Services, we will obtain your consent. If you do not want this information to be collected, used, or shared, you may opt-out by performing the Remove Uconnect Account procedure or contacting us as described in the “Privacy Choices” section below.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Photo w/ Labeled Connectors

Thanks again, CPT - updated photo here.

Attachments

• 8.4 A Labeled Antenna Connectors.jpg
    8.4 A Labeled Antenna Connectors.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,965

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Its sounds like you are thinking about disconnecting the antenna, if you do you should know that the light in between the 911 and assist buttons on your mirror will come on and be red indicating a problem with the vehicles phone. In addition you will also get a semi annoying screen on the radio occasionally usually when you start the truck, the screen will show the rear view mirror and say service vehicle phone or something like that.

The good news is you can stop the error and still keep the air card from transmitting data by spoofing it. There is a method out there created by OEMautoparts.com (same place you got the pic from) where they make a pigtail connector with a resistor soldered to it to trick the radio into thinking it is getting a 3G signal. They sell this for 49.00 plus shipping, you can get the promo code and get it 10.00 off of that.

There is also a thread on here where some guys are attempting to reverse engineer this and make their own for like 5.00, apparently this requires soldering a 1/2 watt 10k resistor across the coax shield and the center lead of the cable.

Here is a link to the pigtail dummy antenna
911 Vehicle Phone Override Cable

For more info look here start at post 161
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_5_0_8_4_navigation_upgrade-64564/index17.html

For more info look here start around post 62
http://www.ramforum.com/f51/uconnect_ra2_ra4_upgrade_assistance-53112/index7.html

Funny thing is I spent a bit of time doing research for the opposite reason, I upgraded my radio from the RA1 and I wanted the error to sop appearing but I also wanted the phone to actually work. I was somewhat successful at this I di get it to work and stop the error messages, but I still cannot use uconnect because they won't let me, my truck does reach their server but it rejects the call because my truck did only came with RA1 which is not uconnect capable and they won't add me I tried.

Anyways good luck to you

Last edited:

Sleek1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a UConnect question that I'm hoping someone has an answer to. My truck came with the 5.0 head unit, which I upgraded with an 8.4NA. In the bottom right of the display, beside the Apps button, it shows a cellular connection (3G) but when I try to register with UConnect it always gives me an error about not being able to connect to the server. Anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions on what I should try?

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a UConnect question that I'm hoping someone has an answer to. My truck came with the 5.0 head unit, which I upgraded with an 8.4NA. In the bottom right of the display, beside the Apps button, it shows a cellular connection (3G) but when I try to register with UConnect it always gives me an error about not being able to connect to the server. Anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions on what I should try?

You will never be able to register with uconnect because your truck didn't come with the 8.4 originally. Only those with VIN's that came with the 8.4 can register and use the apps.

Sleek1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bah, I was afraid it was something like that, I cry foul! :) Thanks for the response though!

Sleek1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wait, so the Uconnect 5.0 doesn't count as having Uconnect from the factory? It just seems silly that they wouldn't want to take my money.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
They won't take I tried, sent me a canned email how Fiat does not recommend or endorse changing the configuration of your truck, so they will not recognize you. I even had a tech tell me my radio was calling their server, but the server rejected the calls and always will.

Now here is the thing likely your radio is already registered with useless-connect it just lacks the apps and whatever they installed in it when it was registered previously.

If someone could find a way to spoof the server into thinking that that radio was still in said vehicle I believe that it would connect to them.

When you installed it and typed in the anti-theft code, a message should have come up "deleting uconnect apps". Maybe some 12 year old hacker will figure a way.

Also maybe someone will figure a way to install the apps back on the machine via removal media vrs over the phone via those idiots at uselessconnect.

Any takers?

Sleek1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it never deleted the apps when I entered the unlock code, the apps are still on there, but when I try to run one it tries to connect to uconnect and then bombs out. Maybe I'll call them and see if I can charm my way to a subscription :)

BranRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine
I have 8.4AN radio installed in 2014 Ram 4500, with slide in camper in place, the SharkFin antenna is now blocked. GPS seems to work, not so much for Sirius.

One option am looking at, on the back of the radio, I found from this discussion is:

1 AM/FM FENDER MOUNTED ANT
2 XM SHARKFIN (but puck will work here)
3 GPS NOT USED (05064350AA)
4 CELLULAR SHARKFIN

Hook up a Sirius Antenna to connector 2 and move XM SharkFin antenna to connector 3 (or getting dedicated GPS antenna).

Would Navigation work, I have not found any answer on that?

Other option, would be to mount the SharkFin antenna in the middle front of the hood.

Not worried about cell reception, not using that part of UConnect.

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wait, so the Uconnect 5.0 doesn't count as having Uconnect from the factory? It just seems silly that they wouldn't want to take my money.

You can register but it will say your actual VIN has a 5.0 radio and only give you options around the 5.0 radio. Being the 5.0 radio has no apps like the 8.4 or remote unlock or any cool features really.. registering is pretty useless.. So pretty much just ignore the whole app section of your 8.4 aside from yelp. Yelp should work fine.

Sleek1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the audiovox car connection component so I can start/lock/unlock/locate read codes and such with my cell phone already so wasn't too worried about that stuff. I mainly just wanted the wifi hotspot. But now that I think about it I have a lockpick, I think that may have that functionality already. I guess worse comes to worse I could just use the hotspot on my phone and rename it to RAM WiFI or something and no one would be the wiser when they were in my truck. I would just smile and be like "yeah, my truck has wifi" :)

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
it never deleted the apps when I entered the unlock code, the apps are still on there, but when I try to run one it tries to connect to uconnect and then bombs out. Maybe I'll call them and see if I can charm my way to a subscription :)

You still have Pandora, iheart radio, slacker and aha on your radio? Wow you are the only one I have heard of who did not loose them?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the audiovox car connection component so I can start/lock/unlock/locate read codes and such with my cell phone already so wasn't too worried about that stuff. I mainly just wanted the wifi hotspot. But now that I think about it I have a lockpick, I think that may have that functionality already. I guess worse comes to worse I could just use the hotspot on my phone and rename it to RAM WiFI or something and no one would be the wiser when they were in my truck. I would just smile and be like "yeah, my truck has wifi" :)

Does the car connection thing work with the OEM remote starter? What all does it do? Did you install it or have it installed? How hard and involved is it to install?

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, the pigtail isn't enough to keep the signal out of the radio (!)

Just got around to putting it on the truck today and even though it's slow, the radio is *still* pushing data out.

Vito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the shark antenna VS puck ?
I have the puck now since my truck came with the RA1 radio but have since installed the 8.4RA4.
I see a little "3G" light pop on once in while at very far right of screen but cant connect to u-connect it seems.
I do have the VIN # of the previous 8.4 radio truck. Would that help?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
No uconnect will not let you register, because you truck did not come with a RA3 or RA4 radio. the sharkfin is a dual lead antenna whereas the puck is a single lead, the extra lead being for the embedded cellular air card in the radio used to call 911, yelp and uconnect. With just the puck hooked up you will get inconsistent cellular strength and the occasional service vehicle phone error.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye