8 speed towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our last tow vehicle had a 4 speed auto. The 4th gear being an overdrive ratio. Along with a lot of older trucks the recommendation was to always tow in drive/3rd gear only. The idea being that the overdrive gear was of weaker construction. At least that is what I recall.

I understand that our 5th gens 8 speed has 7th and 8th gear as overdrive ratios.

My question. Are 7th and 8th gear in our Rams also weaker construction?

Getting ready for a 2000 mile one month RV camping trip. Corona be dammed:p

Thanks

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
From the manual:

When to Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL mode. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
The old-time logic was that whatever gear you're in, if you can't accelerate reasonably, not meaning "briskly", just some acceleration, you need to gear down. Now that was mostly in the "stick-shift" days but you get what I mean. Bottom line, if your engine can't spin up, you might be "lugging" it, no bueno. Happy trails

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The old-time logic was that whatever gear you're in, if you can't accelerate reasonably, not meaning "briskly", just some acceleration, you need to gear down. Now that was mostly in the "stick-shift" days but you get I mean. Bottom line, if your engine can't spin up, you might be "lugging" it, no bueno. Happy trails

That also includes while driving empty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I understand that our 5th gens 8 speed has 7th and 8th gear as overdrive ratios.

My question. Are 7th and 8th gear in our Rams also weaker construction?
Just enable the Tow/Haul mode and go. Chances are unless your towing faster 70 mph or going downhill the trans won't shift above 7th. Let the TCU control the shifting, don't intentionally speed up then back off to get an upshift as it doesn't save fuel, it will cause the engine to lug. If I'm not mistaken, run the recommended 89 octane as the engine is less likely to pull timing(reducing power/efficiency). Unless the transmission temps spike massively or stay above the coolant temp, its fine and don't be alarmed if it runs around 200°F the while towing.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the manual:

When to Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL mode. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting.

Thanks for the response.
I use TOW/HAUL mode.

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I always use tow/haul when towing and when it shifts a lot from 8-7 I limit it to 7 until out of heavy winds or hills. Would do the same from 7-6 if it keeps finding 6 a lot. As far as strength, it doesn't matter, the transmission will use the right gear. It's the constant shifting that will warm it up.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
2019RaminSC - I just returned from a 5500 mile round trip to the west coast towing my 6000 lbs (wet) trailer. Our trip was cut short by the virus so we will be doing it again next spring.
I always pull in the tow/haul mode using 89 Octane gas and if I'm on level ground doing 60 my tach stays on 2050 rpm in 7th gear. Even if I speed up the trans won't shift into 8th. Only when I'm doing 60 and turn off the tow/haul mode will the trans shift to 8th and the rpms drop to 1800. I'm not sure where in the torque band 1800 rpm is, but I figure the engineers who programmed this know best so don't try to out think them.
My truck is a 2019 Laramie 1500, 2wd, 5.7l, with a 3.92 rear gear.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watch your extra gear and wet weight. 7,000, U R getting a lil close to max. A WDH is also a must pulling that much weight, IMHO.....

CAUSE U do not want the tail wagging the dog.....

MaximumSteel18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found 7th to be the best performance/mpg gear when I'm towing my trailer (4200#) at 75 mph from Pa. to Florida. I also have the 3:92 rear.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I use tow/haul and leave it in D. I see around 2100 rpm most of the time and I typically run 68-70. I get 8.5-11 at that speed depending on the terrain. my trailer is a 28' and around 6000# when towing.

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
3:92 gears will allow a higher tow rating. RPM and gear selection will be different. Wouldn't hurt to include gear information when you are replying to the OP since it affects the answers based on what the OP has.

jp306

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.92s here, best I’ve done is barely over 10 mpg, worst 7.7 mpg with a 5K travel trailer usually around 60mph.
I’ve tested tow/haul mode when unloaded and various speeds and it will not go into 8th. I read a couple posters saying they can tow and hit 8th. I’ve read others saying 8th is locked out.

I don’t know what to believe, I just know I’ve never seen it in my truck, unloaded or towing.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
3.92s here, best I’ve done is barely over 10 mpg, worst 7.7 mpg with a 5K travel trailer usually around 60mph.
I’ve tested tow/haul mode when unloaded and various speeds and it will not go into 8th. I read a couple posters saying they can tow and hit 8th. I’ve read others saying 8th is locked out.

I don’t know what to believe, I just know I’ve never seen it in my truck, unloaded or towing.
Towing 8k I have on very rare occasion hit 8th gear with Tow/Haul mode. It simply drops rpms too low to pull, which is why 7th is best.

8.44 mpg is my overall average when towing, typically at 67 mph

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.92's here, I get 11.5-13.5 mpg @ 70-74 mph in 8th gear w/tow haul on towing the boat (aprox. 5000 lbs.), bed packed full, cab pretty full. Usually in 8th gear when on the flat, but may hang in 7th if into a headwind - no mpg difference between the 2 gears.
89 octane when towing.

I only lock out a gear if in rolling hills to limit shifting, otherwise tow/haul (most of the time when towing) and let it do it's thing.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
3.92's here, V-nose enclosed 24x8.5 10k rated trailer that normally weighs anywhere between 4k - 7k loaded depending on what I have in there.

I usually leave it in T/H and forget about it. When I was towing across the 'mountains' heading from South Jersey to Tennessee & back I did have to lockout 8th afew times and 7th once as she started hunting on some of the longer grades.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have seen it a couple of times

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
-Use tow/haul and let tranny and computer do the work
-7k lbs should not be an issue, use a WDH as recommended elsewhere
-Go to a CAT scale and check all weights
-60-68 MPH for safety and MPG
-After reading many MPG entries on this forum I’ve come to believe that you’ll get 9-10, almost regardless of the weight you’re pulling. Less on hills and mountains. It’s more about common wind resistance. My mileage on a 10.5k lb loaded 5th wheel is about the same as some pulling 7k or 12k. I don’t even measure my mileage anymore in any detail. I realize it’s gonna suck and that’s life towing.
- Be safe, stay in your weight limitations and enjoy life and camping.