8-Speed Tranny Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Limited with the 8-speed tranny. The tranny gave me a lot of issues when I first bought it and Ram replaced it in 2015. After 8 years of low mileage easy driving (54K mikes) it seems tk be failing in me again.

I’ve had a whine when it downshifts and the rpms increase for the past few months. Thought it might be the serpentine belt or idler pulley but that did not fix it. Now yesterday, while doing 50mph on the highway, it either downshifted to 1st and then slammed back into gear, or it slipped completely out of gear and then slammed back in, on two different occasions. This was way worse than anything I ever experienced with the first tranny.

No check engine light so not sure if any error codes were thrown but I’m going to try to bring it to a dealer on Monday. I do have the Chrysler lifetime warranty so hopefully they’ll cover it but the dealer is understaffed and covered up.

Not sure if the search function is working on the site. I remember seeing a lot of 8-speed tranny posts years ago but now can’t find many.

Anyone experience this “slamming” and if so how was it resolved?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There have been numerous reports lately (and before) about erratic behavior like you're talking about due to incorrect fluid levels and/or a replacement filter. On the fluid level there's a very tight range of acceptable level. Worse yet, the tech has to orient the vehicle just 'so', so the transmission pan iteself is level (jack the rear end up a ways), and run the transmission through the gears and recheck the levels. The process is extra work and extra time ...its definitely a step someone or even a mechanic could/might skip or corner-cut. Mechanics are really good at coming up with corner-cutting methods they 'believe' will work ...to save them a step.

And also, aftermarket filters. I would do a search. There was a long conversation about 2 weeks ago on tranny issues. I would start with the fluid level.

Not putting a genuine dipstick on those transmissions was, in my mind, a huge over-look by Chrysler on those trucks. Course OTOH, it keeps guys from putting the cheapest SAE 30 lawn mower oil in their truck transmissions (and claiming it was Chrysler's fault).

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Either way ....the transmission is an assembly of many parts and components. It's not one "thing" where it either Works or doesn't work. There are a number of items in a transmission which can fail or work intermittently, or develop tolerances greater than designed which can cause intermittent shifting issues. Many of those parts can be changed to restore it's operation. I've replaced shift solenoids on RFE transmissions and they went from "OMG it's going to blow!" to "Wow this thing drives like NEW again!".

You need to find a really good tranny guy. Maybe another dealer(???). Talk to a dealer in advance who his best tranny guy is. Then make sure THAT guy is working on your truck. Who knows? You might be getting the 3 month new guy doing tranny fluid fills on your truck... They don't have their best guys doing daily maintenance work, unless they're real slow.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I agree the absence of a dip stick only makes these issues worse and more difficult to diagnose. In the best of times I’ve never been able to really find a good transmission mechanic. Seems like they only have a bag of 3 tricks: fill, flush or replace. With the bonus option being “cannot replicate problem, operating as designed”. Unfortunately, we’re far from the best of times right now so I’m not feeling optimistic about how this will go.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel your pain. You forgot the other classic: Tech comes over with a steel parts cleaning pan with an aluminum chunk in it, and usually some shavings too. Then cliams they found it sitting at the bottom of your tranny and maybe they should think about replacing it. (another bogus scam).

Back to your original problem, are there any transmission shops in your area? Or if you take it to the dealer, do it on a nice day when they have the shop doors open. Then stand there and watch them as they do the work to make sure they're following the directions right. The rear end has to be raised off the ground so the tranny pan is prallel to the ground, to get the level correct. They can run it through a self-check to make sure the shifting solenoids are operating properly.

There is a very well defined and very comprehensive method of diagnosing transmission problems in the Factory manual. Starts with what I described above (which are common issues), then goes to hydraulic pressure checks and so fourth. There really isn't any guessing or maybes if the tech follows the book.

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
There have been numerous reports lately (and before) about erratic behavior like you're talking about due to incorrect fluid levels and/or a replacement filter. On the fluid level there's a very tight range of acceptable level. Worse yet, the tech has to orient the vehicle just 'so', so the transmission pan iteself is level (jack the rear end up a ways), and run the transmission through the gears and recheck the levels. The process is extra work and extra time ...its definitely a step someone or even a mechanic could/might skip or corner-cut. Mechanics are really good at coming up with corner-cutting methods they 'believe' will work ...to save them a step.

And also, aftermarket filters. I would do a search. There was a long conversation about 2 weeks ago on tranny issues. I would start with the fluid level.

Not putting a genuine dipstick on those transmissions was, in my mind, a huge over-look by Chrysler on those trucks. Course OTOH, it keeps guys from putting the cheapest SAE 30 lawn mower oil in their truck transmissions (and claiming it was Chrysler's fault).
Agree with the corner cutting the down side of flat rat and low fluid a likely cause. Have also seen fluid extremely dark at lower mileage that traditionally recognized - not necessarily meaning its bad vased solely on color but is on the way..... What is the thought process on the aftermarket filters causing issues like this? Not saying i disagree just unfamiliar with the particular discussion.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
There have been discussions of aftermarket filter problems sold on Amazon and Ebay. Essentially there are junk filters packaged as the real deal. Even though it costs more upfront, its probably a good idea to go with genuine Mopar or high quality equivalent from a reputable brick and mortar store.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I updated this thread. These trannies don’t require routine maintenance. The dealer said it was not low on fluid but it did have a lot of metal in the pan. It took a while but Chrysler finally authorized the tranny replacement under the lifetime MaxCare warranty. Hopefully I’ll get more miles out of this one.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought I updated this thread. These trannies don’t require routine maintenance. The dealer said it was not low on fluid but it did have a lot of metal in the pan. It took a while but Chrysler finally authorized the tranny replacement under the lifetime MaxCare warranty. Hopefully I’ll get more miles out of this one.
Gotta love the lifetime warranty. The problem arises when Ram says the transmission doesnt require maintenance but ZF has a recommended service interval for the transmission. As long as you have the warranty follow what Ram says so they will honor your warranty.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Glad you are being taken care of

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m pulling the pan on mine soon. Just ordered a ppe pan and lifeguard 8 fluid. I’ve been getting a slight humming sound from the bell housing area on and off for maybe a month? I get a slight hum or whine on decel almost like it’s engine braking. Drained a pinch of fluid and it’s pretty dark. I’m just shy of 50,000 miles. I have drained and replaced about 3qts of fluid roughly 4,000 miles ago when added the inline thermostat because the transmission was running a bit cold during winter since bypassing the THU. Hoping fresh fluid will do the trick. It does not smell burnt and otherwise have 0 noticeable issues while driving.

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2572.jpeg
    IMG_2572.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 10

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
if its still under warranty, make a claim first to document the symptoms and time of occurance.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’m pulling the pan on mine soon. Just ordered a ppe pan and lifeguard 8 fluid. I’ve been getting a slight humming sound from the bell housing area on and off for maybe a month? I get a slight hum or whine on decel almost like it’s engine braking. Drained a pinch of fluid and it’s pretty dark. I’m just shy of 50,000 miles. I have drained and replaced about 3qts of fluid roughly 4,000 miles ago when added the inline thermostat because the transmission was running a bit cold during winter since bypassing the THU. Hoping fresh fluid will do the trick. It does not smell burnt and otherwise have 0 noticeable issues while driving.

Yep - it's not just the oil itself, it's the clutch pack and gear shavings in it. Plus shear down of any VII additive, any oxidation varnish, and moisture adsorption through the breather.

This has been discussed ad infinitum - for any transmission. Allowing the marketing people to tout "lifetime" should be a crime for misleading. What's a "lifetime"? It's bull$hit - there's no such thing on a wear part. There's only duty cycle and endurance limit, which they will never put in print.

I don't trust any routine maintenance to a dealer under warranty that I can do myself. The level of competence and care has decayed to danger levels, and is completely luck of the draw across dealerships where corporate standards aren't enforced. I trust my local pay-for shop with ex-corporate Tech's that got fed up with the corporate bull$hit just like I did.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What is a lifetime?
As far as the Lifetime Maxcare Warranty is concerned it's until the repair exceeds the value of the truck. I'm glad OP is getting taken care of. I've gotten two transmissions and an engine on my Lifetime plan. Back in 2014 when I bought my truck I was shopping Ford, Chevy/GMC and Ram. A comparable ram was roughly 5K less so I went that route and paid $2300 for the warranty so I could keep the truck for a long time. One of the better decisions I've ever made with respect to vehicle purchases.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Even the warranty is over-rated, is the point of "lifetime" marketing maggot speak.

The inconvenience of the truck breaking down in god knows where, getting it to the dealer, waiting for parts, arranging alternate transportation, being pi$$ed the whole time, etc. etc. etc.

For me, it's far better to use our technical knowledge to limit the possibility of failures.