8- speed tranny swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can I install the 8-Speed tranny in my 2010 ram? Level 10 is able to build the 8-speed to handle 1,000 hp. I tried searching, but havent been able to find an answer.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Currently, nobody has been able to make it work. It's easy to do with a resto-mod, but integrating it into the earlier trucks has been a no-go for everyone that's tried it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Currently, nobody has been able to make it work. It's easy to do with a resto-mod, but integrating it into the earlier trucks has been a no-go for everyone that's tried it.

So it’s been done on a restomod? Is there a controller for it or how’s the electronics work?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Kurtis check with Chris.There's a 2012 running around Edmonton with a SRT 6.4 and ZF transmission swap now.Chris says it hauls ass,and we'll see it at Castrol soon,sounds like he's looking for me and Dylan,lol.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything is possible with time and $$$ :)

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it’s been done on a restomod? Is there a controller for it or how’s the electronics work?

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Does it not bolt up, or is all of the stupid electrical crap keeping it from working? And what the hell is a restomod?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Does it not bolt up, or is all of the stupid electrical crap keeping it from working? And what the hell is a restomod?

Resto-mod normally means putting a newer drive train in an older car, typically like in a older muscle cars. Since they have minimal electronics to run the vehicle it’s normally easier to get the engines and transmissions to work great after a swap. The trans should bolt right up, heck it’s already bolted up to a Hemi, but I believe it’s the trans computers and electronics that haven’t been cracked yet in swapping into the later ram trucks. I’m sure someone will figure it out soon. I don’t know much about the new 8 speed but I think it has a ton of electronics controlling it. That’s why I’m going with a simple 4 speed 46re with a manual valvebody, it will have almost 0 electronics running it, super simple

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Resto-mod normally means putting a newer drive train in an older car, typically like in a older muscle cars. Since they have minimal electronics to run the vehicle it’s normally easier to get the engines and transmissions to work great after a swap. The trans should bolt right up, heck it’s already bolted up to a Hemi, but I believe it’s the trans computers and electronics that haven’t been cracked yet in swapping into the later ram trucks. I’m sure someone will figure it out soon. I don’t know much about the new 8 speed but I think it has a ton of electronics controlling it. That’s why I’m going with a simple 4 speed 46re with a manual valvebody, it will have almost 0 electronics running it, super simple

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Also sucks that you cant even work on stuff without having to have the dealer use their computer to make the parts work. I had to replace a body control module, and the dealer had to do something to it with a computer so it would work. Electronics suck! Just more crap to go wrong!
Hopefully someone figures out the computer crap by the time im ready to install a built 8 speed tranny that can handle a 6.4 with a kenne bell blower. I have already looked at level 10 to beef up the 8 speed.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Also sucks that you cant even work on stuff without having to have the dealer use their computer to make the parts work. I had to replace a body control module, and the dealer had to do something to it with a computer so it would work. Electronics suck! Just more crap to go wrong! Hopefully someone figures out the computer crap by the time im ready to install a buikt tranny that can handle a 6.4 with a kenne bell blower.

That’s why some people have done a 4L80e swap. CharonBlk07 has one in his monster, and LethalHemi has one in his 3rd gen with a 468 Hemi. He’s just finishing up his getting ready to go. Several other 3rd gen guys have successfully done a 46re swap that’s behind blower motors and they are holding up great. It just sucks that you are losing some gears, going back to the old 4 speeds. But as we all know, performance and reliability normally comes at a cost

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s why some people have done a 4L80e swap. CharonBlk07 has one in his monster, and LethalHemi has one in his 3rd gen with a 468 Hemi. He’s just finishing up his getting ready to go. Several other 3rd gen guys have successfully done a 46re swap that’s behind blower motors and they are holding up great. It just sucks that you are losing some gears, going back to the old 4 speeds. But as we all know, performance and reliability normally comes at a cost

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Oh we all know it too well. Haha. I wonder if there are any tranny places that can beef up my 2010 ram tranny like they can beef up the 8 speed? What is the tranny in my ram even called?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Oh we all know it too well. Haha. I wonder if there are any tranny places that can beef up my 2010 ram tranny like they can beef up the 8 speed? What is the tranny in my ram even called?

I believe you should have the 65rfe. It’s basically the same as the 545rfe, just with one extra gear. It still has 2 overdrives which I really don’t get. It’s almost like 5 gear is a useless gear

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe you should have the 65rfe. It’s basically the same as the 545rfe, just with one extra gear. It still has 2 overdrives which I really don’t get. It’s almost like 5 gear is a useless gear

I Bleed Ram Trucks

After a lot of research, It looks like I have the 545RFE. They make upgraded clutch plates for it, but the transmission tuning is what seems to be the problem/fix. Now i just need to figure out who does the tranny tuning.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why would transmission tuning be a problem? A Hemi Fever tune will tune your tranny also. Am I missing something?

Everybody thinks the 8 speed is the greatest invention since ****, but IMHO, the 545/4.10/HemiFever is a pretty damn good set-up, also. Ditch the MDS, while you're at it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Why would transmission tuning be a problem? A Hemi Fever tune will tune your tranny also. Am I missing something?

Everybody thinks the 8 speed is the greatest invention since ****, but IMHO, the 545/4.10/HemiFever is a pretty damn good set-up, also. Ditch the MDS, while you're at it.

We are talking about it purely from a reliability behind big power, like bigger cams, boost, strokers, stuff like that. The 5 and 6 speeds have proven to a lot of people that they are simply not worth the price tag of getting them built, and even then they still don’t hold up well. I’m doing a complete build on a 46re, a 700hp capable built kit, performance billet valve body and a convertor for around $2500-$3000. You can’t touch that price with a built 545/645 or 4L80e. Those are running between 5-7 grand

I Bleed Ram Trucks

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
The gear is already there. The 5 speeds use it for a kickdown gear called 2nd prime. The 6 speed just programs the trans to use it on the upshift schedule

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Thanks did not realize that......how's the 46re going