8 speed trans 2014 ram lifted.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

This_Guy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello friends,

I am here once again to ask for some insight. I have noticed my 8 speed trans seems to get hot from time to time. Nothing near 220 but I seen it close to 210, when unloaded. I rebuilt the rear end not to long ago, Pinon and bearings because there was a small whurling sound, which now has gone away because of it.

I do have 37x12.50x20 tires, 6in lift and I'm wondering is there anything I can do to keep it cooler. My trans shifts good and I don't have any wild crazy issues that I have seen other individuals have.

What is the normal operating temprature for this unit? I have seen mixed reviews. Some say between 190-220 is fine. Then I see others say anything above 190 is terrible and should not happen. I have seen the chart that states the viscosity breakdown over 220.

Any insight is helpul.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That is the normal operating temp for the 8 speed in factory configuration. There are coolant lines that heat the transmission so it will always stay in the ballpark of the coolant. You can install a thermostat bypass to eliminate that and get much lower temps. I dont think we actually have an answer if those temps are good for the transmission or not but it is common for newer vehicles. Search the forums and you will find plenty of discussions on trans temps.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In normal driving it should not see anything over 190. Above that and it's likely that the thermostat for the trans isn't opening fully or at all.

OP
OP
This_Guy1

This_Guy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha see this is where it gets weird. Like I said some say its ok and others say no way.

When you mean thermostat, arre you talking about the giant block on the driver side of the transmission?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, that's the thermal unit that contains a heat exchanger. It also has a thermostat in it that will open and send trans fluid to the cooler up front. It should keep the fluid near 180° when is working correctly. Higher temps mean it's either failed or you're working the trans very very hard.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have noticed warmer temps from the trans in comparison. Classic with the 8 speed approaches the high 190's unloaded in stock form. Not towing. My 2500 with the old 6 speed towing Jeep on a uhaul stays under 170. Think the 8 speeds runs a little warmer.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 9

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would agree that 190 is where it would normally sit, but 220 isnt out of the range of acceptable temps. I wouldn't think you would get that high unless you were towing though. I think the big tires and lift probably make your truck work a bit harder which will move temps up a bit. Regardless I would bypass the thermostat and see if that helps your temps. Caulk04 made a cheap easy bypass part but I'm not sure how many he has left. After that I guess Revmax kit is the next best maybe? I don't recall what else is out there. Start https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8hp70-heater-bypass.172998/ there for your reading consideration. That's a continuation thread with a link in the first post to the earlier conversation.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reaching 220 for short periods of times periodically would not have me concerned....meaning you see that temperature for a minute or so of driving every once in awhile under certain circumstances, like climbing a grade on the freeway or a lot of stop and start driving where the trans is shifting a lot. Periodic short periods of that temp is a lot different then running consistently at 220 for 100 miles.