8 speed transmission fluid/pan questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I average 25k miles a year and will soon come up on 50K in my 2018 Ram 1500 ..3.6 4x4.
I realize these fluids don't need frequent changes but am determined to do the first one this
year before winter hits (will be about 60K then).
Been youtubing for info and there are some helpful videos. Any how, thinking of buying a
quality pan that has the option of simply replacing the filter in the future..
Got this one in mind? Whatah ya think? Anyone try this option. Any advice/comments appreciated.

https://www.ppediesel.com/shop/heavy-duty-aluminum-transmission-pan-ram-1500-brushed-228053010.html

This pan will increase fluid capacity by more than two quarts. Some other aftermarket ones reduce capacity slightly.

228053010_hd_cast_al_trans_pan.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I average 25k miles a year and will soon come up on 50K in my 2018 Ram 1500 ..3.6 4x4.
I realize these fluids don't need frequent changes but am determined to do the first one this
year before winter hits (will be about 60K then).
Been youtubing for info and there are some helpful videos. Any how, thinking of buying a
quality pan that has the option of simply replacing the filter in the future..
Got this one in mind? Whatah ya think? Anyone try this option. Any advice/comments appreciated.

https://www.ppediesel.com/shop/heavy-duty-aluminum-transmission-pan-ram-1500-brushed-228053010.html

This pan will increase fluid capacity by more than two quarts. Some other aftermarket ones reduce capacity slightly. If you're watching video's on the procedure,most of them don't jack the rear of the truck up till the transmissions pan rail is level.That's a very important step,otherwise you don't get a proper level reading.If you search on here for a post by Sgriffin he has the instructions posted for the proper procedure.

I don't know what's going on with the search feature,but it appears to be leaving a bit desired these days,i tried to find his thread,but it's not coming up.

228053010_hd_cast_al_trans_pan.jpg

I have the 8HP70 behind my Hemi with a PPE pan.I like the pan as on my truck it took a couple degrees out of my tranny's operating temp.Be forewarned the pan is heavier then you'll think,lol.

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I have the 8HP70 behind my Hemi with a PPE pan.I like the pan as on my truck it took a couple degrees out of my tranny's operating temp.Be forewarned the pan is heavier then you'll think,lol.

What is the depth difference? Curious if it would run into the crossover down pipe.
-edit found a thread and its depth changes in front only. 2 additional quarts
upload_2020-4-5_19-56-57.jpeg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tim or Rick--do you remember the cost of the pan?
Jay

OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT

Thanks for the info... Does it come with magnets? I can't tell from the picture on their page. Do they sell a gasket or did you use RTV?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Great thread as I was just beginning to plan the 100k ZF maintenance this summer.

What’s the best price on the OEM pan? That integrated filter is not replaceable to my understanding. Will I even need to replace it as the system is sealed and will only have break in residue? hmm...

OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Great thread as I was just beginning to plan the 100k ZF maintenance this summer.

What’s the best price on the OEM pan? That integrated filter is not replaceable to my understanding. Will I even need to replace it as the system is sealed and will only have break in residue? hmm...

OEM filter is not replaceable. Pan/filter an integrated disposable unit. I've seen them priced on ebay at 100 bucks to 200 bucks (sometimes with new bolts, gaskets included).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the info... Does it come with magnets? I can't tell from the picture on their page. Do they sell a gasket or did you use RTV?

The drain plug is magnetized and you reuse the stock rubber O-ring gasket.

If you're watching the video's on pan replacement and fluid check,the majority of video's miss one very important step,and that's jacking the trucks rear up till the pan rail is level front to rear and side to side.With-out leveling the pan rail you won't get an accurate reading on the fluid level.

The search function on here lately leaves a bit to be desired .If you can find a thread by Sgriffin ,Stuart posted the proper fluid level check instructions awhile ago for the 8 speed,and the most important fact is to get the tranny pan rail level. If you're on any of the facebook pages like High Preformance Rams / Tuned Rams / R/T Rams etc, tag me and i'll post the proper factory instructions that came with my brand new 8 speed when I had to replace my original 8 speed.I've never had any success getting pic's on here.

Rick Wildman

Last edited:
OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
The drain plug is magnetized and you reuse the stock rubber O-ring gasket.

If you're watching the video's on pan replacement and fluid check,the majority of video's miss one very important step,and that's jacking the trucks rear up till the pan rail is level front to rear and side to side.With-out leveling the pan rail you won't get an accurate reading on the fluid level.

The search function on here lately leaves a bit to be desired .If you can find a thread by Sgriffin ,Stuart posted the proper fluid level check instructions awhile ago for the 8 speed,and the most important fact is to get the tranny pan rail level. If you're on any of the facebook pages like High Preformance Rams / Tuned Rams / R/T Rams etc, tag me and i'll post the proper factory instructions that came with my brand new 8 speed when I had to replace my original 8 speed.I've never had any success getting pic's on here.

Rick Wildman

Thanks Rick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963