8 speed transmission problems, or just how it is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have owned my 2015 Ram 1500 for a few months now. It only has 39,000 miles. Over the last month or so I have noticed some odd things about the transmission that I will outline below:

- When slowing down and shifting from 2nd to 1st gear there is a noticeable "bump" right before coming to a stop. It feels like my truck is getting bumped from behind. If I come to a quicker stop it's harder to notice, but I like to slow down and stop more conservatively to save my brakes. I have read that this could be related to the drive shaft.

- In the morning when I first start driving, it seems to take the transmission a lot longer to shift from 1st to 2nd. The engine will rev higher than normal, and there's a delayed shift into 2nd. Sometimes the delay is accompanied by a noticeable jerk. This only tends to happen on the very first shift of the day.

- If I accelerate right after slowing down, there is sometimes a delayed response and a jerky shift. It's like the transmission doesn't know what gear to be in when I give it some gas immediately after slowing down.

I have seen forums on some of these issues, but I haven't seen any concrete solutions other than people having their entire transmission replaced. I'm going to take my truck to the dealer this week to have it checked out, but I wanted to see if anyone has found the culprit(s) for these problems and any solutions before I take my truck in. It's very hilly where I live, so that could be a contributing factor, but I still don't think such a new, sophisticated transmission's performance should be affected much by that. All of these issues could just be characteristics of the 8 speed transmission, but I can't see how that would be the case either. Thanks for the help.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bump thing has been discussed before and could possibly cured by a reflash from the dealer. I bet if you typed BUMP in the search box you would find plenty of discussion on the subject. The tranny is cold when you drive it first thing in the morning and needs a little time to warm up before it starts shifting smoothly so I drive it easy for the first mile and it shifts normally after that. You might try disconnecting the battery for a while so that it can relearn your driving style since it does have adaptive learning capabilities. Last but not least all your complaints are probably covered under the 5 year 100K mile powertrain warranty so find yourself a good dealer and see what happens.

ecoramtester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Does not sound normal. Mine does not exhibit any of these conditions. The only issue I have with mine is when starting off cold, there is quite a noticeable delay from completely stopped to actually get moving. Not sure if it is maybe something built into the programming to protect things until tranny warms up. After 2 or 3 minutes, seems to work fine.

OP
OP
JS1500

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP what gears do you have ?
I have seen a few post about the bump and its allmost always trucks with 3:92s.
My 16 does none of these things but I have 3:21s.

69GWC, I have 3.21 gears.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had same problem dealer replaced first trans because torque converter vibration at 6,000 km....second trans for 2>1 downshift bump,relearn ,valve body replaced didnt help at14,000 km ......3rd trans all good with 60,000 km on it ....3:21 gears

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the exact same symptoms, 2018 2500 6.4 with 66RFE 3.73 gears. My plan is to let the service department know if I can ever get in for the cc recall.

OP
OP
JS1500

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
had same problem dealer replaced first trans because torque converter vibration at 6,000 km....second trans for 2>1 downshift bump,relearn ,valve body replaced didnt help at14,000 km ......3rd trans all good with 60,000 km on it ....3:21 gears
Going through that many transmissions on such few miles? Not very reassuring...

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2018 with 3.92 gears and 1700 miles on the truck and the bump from 2nd to 1st has been there since day one. I will let the dealer know at my oil change interval. My truck has all the same issues as OP stated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Mine occasionally does some of what you're describing, usually only when cold/warming up. I let it go. If its not hurting anything, I don't worry much about it.

If it did it every single time I came to a stop, may be a different story.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For me it all depends how fast i come to a stop...if its 15 to stop, i dont feel it. But if its 10 or 5 to a stop i do feel it. It feels like the truck is holding second gear as long as possibke and when it decides to shift to first i am almost already fully stopped

OP
OP
JS1500

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me it all depends how fast i come to a stop...if its 15 to stop, i dont feel it. But if its 10 or 5 to a stop i do feel it. It feels like the truck is holding second gear as long as possibke and when it decides to shift to first i am almost already fully stopped

That's a good way to describe it. Have you figured out what the culprit is yet? This problem drives me crazy.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats normal. Our 2016 Ram 5.7(63,000 miles) & 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6(48,000 miles) both have the 2-1 bump & the long 1st shift when cold. Both have done it since day 1. The Jeep has all the current updates done. The Ram is tuned. Not anything to worry about, just the way the 8 speed trans is

Last edited:

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats normal. Our 2016 Ram 5.7(63,000 miles) & 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6(48,000 miles) both have the 2-1 bump & the long 1st shift when cold. Both have done it since day 1. The Jeep has all the current updates done. The Ram is tuned. Not anything to worry about, just the way the 8 speed trans is

Thats what I thought as well. Maybe its me but it seem to me that anytime I disable MDS i dont feel the BUMP as much.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's a good way to describe it. Have you figured out what the culprit is yet? This problem drives me crazy.

Nope, but when I am at the dealership for my oil change I will make sure they check that the truck has all the updates and let them know about it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, but when I am at the dealership for my oil change I will make sure they check that the truck has all the updates and let them know about it.
its not normal ,my 3rd trans is fine with no issues shifts smooth up and down

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its not normal ,my 3rd trans is fine with no issues shifts smooth up and down

So how is it that 2 different vehicles all together that have 2 different motors, 2 different rear gear set ups, 2 different versions of the 8 speed, 2 different year models & 1 w/ all the latest updates done as of a month ago both have the same "symptom". 1 of which has the latest updates & still on FCA's factory tune & the other w/ a custom trans tune. MANY people have the same results throughout the whole catalog of FCA vehicles w/ the 8 speed.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of course the dealership will be quick to change a trans over small symptoms like this. Its quick, easy warranty work for them.

I wouldnt be worried about a firm shifting trans that still operates. The 8 speed is a bullet proof proven trans that is HARD to tear up. Theres guys with 700+ hp in trucks running around beating the snot out of the stock 8 speed trans with zero issues. If a long or firm shift were a sign of things to come those guys would have been tearing them up.

I'd be more worried about having to spend $2000+ for a lifter/cam change at 130,000 thats a known problem.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of course the dealership will be quick to change a trans over small symptoms like this. Its quick, easy warranty work for them.

I wouldnt be worried about a firm shifting trans that still operates. The 8 speed is a bullet proof proven trans that is HARD to tear up. Theres guys with 700+ hp in trucks running around beating the snot out of the stock 8 speed trans with zero issues. If a long or firm shift were a sign of things to come those guys would have been tearing them up.

I'd be more worried about having to spend $2000+ for a lifter/cam change at 130,000 thats a known problem.