8HP70/75 Trans Fluid Never Changed? What's your miles?

Never changed your 8HP70/75 transmission fluid? How many miles do you have on your truck?

• 50 - 100k

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • 100K - 150K

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • 150k - 200K

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Over 200K

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find it interesting that many are skeptical of Ram's position that the 8HP series is good for lifetime, yet there's no skepticism of ZF recommendation for 80K fluid changes of their expensive, proprietary fluid. Seems to me that it's been just the opposite for ATF-4.

But I digress from my main point.

Recently I had scheduled to have the fluid and filter replaced in my ZF transmission as I was at the 75,000 mile mark. After the vehicle was taken in the transmission tech. approached me and asked if I was having an issue. I said "no" and that I was concerned about the condition of the fluid because of miles and because I tow about 7K, six or seven times a year.

He suggested that a health check be performed which would determine if there were any internal issues and verify the condition of the fluid. I said go ahead since I can't say I was anxious to spend the $900. He explained there were a number of checks performed with the scan tool that could determine the health of the fluid. I did specifically ask for a clutch index count, but he said there were four others that more directly analyze the fluid condition.

He came back later and gave me the condition report, as well as a small sample of the fluid. The fluid looked as green as the new stuff. So I declined the transmission service.

Later, I discovered online the recommended scan tool checks and thought I would share it with you: Gears Magazine - The ZF 8-Speed Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78566 miles

I had never head of the scan tool checks, that is interesting. I changed my fluid around 30k miles and it was very dark grey with pretty much 0 towing then, so I am surprised your fluid is still green. Maybe they keep a sample of new fluid around so they dont have to work on them? I am used to the old recommendation of 30k mile transmission fluid changes so a 60k to 80k interval on better fluid doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I had never head of the scan tool checks, that is interesting. I changed my fluid around 30k miles and it was very dark grey with pretty much 0 towing then, so I am surprised your fluid is still green. Maybe they keep a sample of new fluid around so they dont have to work on them? I am used to the old recommendation of 30k mile transmission fluid changes so a 60k to 80k interval on better fluid doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
I was wondering the same on fluid appearance. On several occasions I have read that fluid with 100,00 miles ( or thereabouts ) looked "just like new" or some description similar. My easily driven, never towed, 90% highway miles transmission fluid looked nothing like new fluid.or even close to new fluid at 58,000 miles. I must be doing something wrong.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not only do I know the trans. tech. very well, but I watch what's going on through the service window. It was an honest sample that he took.

Besides, a dishonest tech. or dealership would be more motivated to upsell me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78651 miles

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Not only do I know the trans. tech. very well, but I watch what's going on through the service window. It was an honest sample that he took.

Besides, a dishonest tech. or dealership would be more motivated to upsell me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78651 miles
No argument on your description of your experience or the integrity of your dealership on my part. I certainly am not in a position to pass judgement. However, I am VERY surprised to read " The fluid looked as green as the new stuff." from a transmission that had 27,000 miles more than mine did when mine was serviced. And mine has never had a trailer hitch in the receiver. I sent a sample for a UOA on the transmission fluid. I anticipate that the report will be an acceptable one.
However, the fluid I sent certainly did not look as green ( or as clear ) as the new ZF 8 speed Lifeguard that was installed.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No argument on your description of your experience or the integrity of your dealership on my part. I certainly am not in a position to pass judgement. However, I am VERY surprised to read " The fluid looked as green as the new stuff." from a transmission that had 27,000 miles more than mine did when mine was serviced. And mine has never had a trailer hitch in the receiver. I sent a sample for a UOA on the transmission fluid. I anticipate that the report will be an acceptable one.
However, the fluid I sent certainly did not look as green ( or as clear ) as the new ZF 8 speed Lifeguard that was installed.
Then it will be even more interesting to see what the UOA tells you. Please share it with us when you get the results.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78744 miles

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I'm sure this is completely normal but I notice two things as of late (since weather is getting colder in the mornings and staying colder throughout the day). My downshifting from 3rd to 1st feels like it sort of bumps down into 2nd and especially 1st coming to a stop. I didn't seem to notice it during the hot summer even on cold startup driving to work. Also, it feels like the shifting is more noticeable but I wouldn't say concerning until the fluid gets to 175F or so. Then at 185F it feels pretty dang smooth. I usually expect this in any vehicle but I wanted to ask if this is what everyone else's "normal" is.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
In Toyotas if you have a scan tool and a computer you can actually download and install ECU and TCU updates from TSBs directly. Can we do those kind of things on our Ram using AlfaOBD?

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I'm also curious if anyone has ever done the shift improvement kit (zipkit) that Rock Auto sells that is supposed to help with shifting in general. My shifting isn't bad by my own experience but it could certainly be smoother.

You can see the information for these here:

I know many people upgrade older BMW valve bodies with these zip kits for their ZF trans.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm also curious if anyone has ever done the shift improvement kit (zipkit) that Rock Auto sells that is supposed to help with shifting in general. My shifting isn't bad by my own experience but it could certainly be smoother.

You can see the information for these here:

I know many people upgrade older BMW valve bodies with these zip kits for their ZF trans.
The Zip kit upgrade isn't as common in the Dodge world as it is in the BMW world,but it's probably not a bad upgrade.I looked into them a few years ago,but never got around to ordering one to try out.If you spring for it,let us know your thoughts on whether it's a worth while upgrade,as i'm still seriously considering it,but being in Canada and being a cheap bugger,i was sort of waiting to see if anybody would try it out before i spent the money on one,lol

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
The Zip kit upgrade isn't as common in the Dodge world as it is in the BMW world,but it's probably not a bad upgrade.I looked into them a few years ago,but never got around to ordering one to try out.If you spring for it,let us know your thoughts on whether it's a worth while upgrade,as i'm still seriously considering it,but being in Canada and being a cheap bugger,i was sort of waiting to see if anybody would try it out before i spent the money on one,lol
Same here. It looks fairly straight forward with good directions but i'm not willing to learn about it on my truck.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s

Do you have a good recommended scan tool that can see all transmission read data? so many to choose from on Amazon but I have no idea which ones are worth a damn or a good one to go with.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
135k miles on mine and haven't touched it. It has been on my mind, though.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I find it interesting that many are skeptical of Ram's position that the 8HP series is good for lifetime, yet there's no skepticism of ZF recommendation for 80K fluid changes of their expensive, proprietary fluid. Seems to me that it's been just the opposite for ATF-4.

I don't know that you can't be skeptical of both, but at least 80k is a defined metric. "Lifetime" is meaningless without knowing what Chrysler considers a lifetime. Through the end of the warranty? 100k miles? 200k miles? Until it breaks?

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Then it will be even more interesting to see what the UOA tells you. Please share it with us when you get the results.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78744 miles
As can be seen I drew a sample at 45,200 miles. My plan was to do the pan/filter change at 60,000 miles. I was just curious as to what the difference might be in 15, 000 miles of further use. Various factors contributed to the pan/filter change being done sooner at 57,600 miles. There was as expected a pretty good accumulation of grey "******" on all four magnets. I have not cut the filter out yet to examine. Fluid was not clear green like what came from the bottles of ZF lifeguard 8 I used for replacement.
UOA looks decent.

Attachments

• RAM Trans. 2nd UOA.png
    RAM Trans. 2nd UOA.png
    375.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I find it interesting, as the weather has gotten cold that when my truck is placed in 4wd auto, it no kidding feels smoother as it shifts through gears especially more noticeable when its cold out.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I finally got around to cutting the filter out of my old Pan. The last transmission service I did was on a Mercedes Van with the 5 Cyl. diesel. It was the first service at 30,000 miles. I was very surprised to see a ton of assembly junk and metal wear caught in the filter of the Mercedes. I mean a whole lot. That transmission was functioning perfectly at 76, 000 miles when I sold the vehicle. Compared to that experience what I found in the RAM transmission was almost nothing. I was surprised to see so little debris caught in the filter. As stated in my last post the magnets did have the usual grey fine sludge that I could wipe off with my fingers. If I passed another magnet near them I could get some "fuzz" to stand up. I don't think I would be eager to use an after market pan without magnets. JMO
The filter is made of some very tough and dense material. It is not thick but the material is very robust. You cannot tear it and it is difficult to cut.
I have seen questions regarding reusing the OEM drain plug. The plug does have wording and arrows for open and close. There is a torque Spec. stamped on the plug. It is an O-ring sealing mechanism. No crush or compression type of gasket. I was able to reinsert the plug and snug it without difficulty. For those who have contemplated a drain and fill if your plug is like mine I would imagine it could be done at least once. Note that it does say "open only" on the pan. The replacement Mopar / Filtran pan I used does NOT have a drain plug.
The few flecks of metal in the filter can be seen in the attached photos.
Edit: The straight cut seen in the filter is where I passed trough with the cut off wheel I was using to cut the interior filter / pan housing.
IMG_4632.JPGIMG_4637.JPG

Last edited: