8hp70 deleting just thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everybody. I just did a ton of reading on here about the revmax heater bypass. I installed mine months ago but since late October as the cold set in I could drive an hour and not have the trans touch 100⁰. My issue is the trans acts like a different animal until i can get it to 120ish which isnt easy. I called ZF and spoke with them, they told me 130⁰ range I should be fine but an hour at 80⁰ isn't good. It needs to warm up to shift properly. I thought about pulling the just heater block off plate. I have a 180 stat so in my head trans would sit in the 160⁰ range. On here I read that you shouldn't run just the thermo bypass, either all or nothing. What would the harm be by running the warmer but not the thermostat?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey everybody. I just did a ton of reading on here about the revmax heater bypass. I installed mine months ago but since late October as the cold set in I could drive an hour and not have the trans touch 100⁰. My issue is the trans acts like a different animal until i can get it to 120ish which isnt easy. I called ZF and spoke with them, they told me 130⁰ range I should be fine but an hour at 80⁰ isn't good. It needs to warm up to shift properly. I thought about pulling the just heater block off plate. I have a 180 stat so in my head trans would sit in the 160⁰ range. On here I read that you shouldn't run just the thermo bypass, either all or nothing. What would the harm be by running the warmer but not the thermostat?
Throw the Revmax kit away,return it to stock and hunt up Jesse Caulk /Caulk04 for one of his thermostat bypasses,it allows you to keep the thermal heater in play . The RevMax kit leaves alot to be desired especially compared to Jesse's bypass.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Just as an experiment during cold weather is there any way you can fabricate something to obstruct air flow to the Transmission oil cooler in front of the Eng? Might help to get the Temp. up to the 130 degree range.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just as an experiment during cold weather is there any way you can fabricate something to obstruct air flow to the Transmission oil cooler in front of the Eng?
The 8HP in the Ram 1500 trucks use the top couple rows of what's also the AC condenser as the trans cooler

OP
OP
Ram1683

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just as an experiment during cold weather is there any way you can fabricate something to obstruct air flow to the Transmission oil cooler in front of the Eng? Might help to get the Temp. up to the 130 degree range.
I was actually thinking about that. Used to have to do it to one of my s10's to get heat. 160⁰ stat was a bad idea in that.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
The 8HP in the Ram 1500 trucks use the top couple rows of what's also the AC condenser as the trans cooler
Yes, that is the area I was suggesting he might try to restrict airflow to. Just the area at the top. Even something temporary as an experiment. Maybe a piece of heavy cardboard fastened with some zip ties. I don't think he could hurt anything giving it a try and it would certainly be easily removed.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I deleted all that ******** and ran AN lines and fittings to the trans. Tapped the trans to accept the AN fittings and the trans runs like a champ. Screw all that other stuff.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I deleted all that ******** and ran AN lines and fittings to the trans. Tapped the trans to accept the AN fittings and the trans runs like a champ. Screw all that other stuff.
Why didn't you use the 8HP70 out of a car,they don't use the thermal heater,and the case is already tapped for fittings

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Cause I didn't have one available at the time, didn't get that knowledge till well after the fact and I still would have needed to either run some different trans cooler lines or tapped the trans to do what I wanted anyways. I will say it's not that difficult to tap and run the lines and looks pretty slick to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 67

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6

t0ymach1n3,​

You run directly from the transmission to the cooler and back to the transmission with nothing inline , correct?
Can you tell us what your transmission Temps. run under varying conditions?
Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cause I didn't have one available at the time, didn't get that knowledge till well after the fact and I still would have needed to either run some different trans cooler lines or tapped the trans to do what I wanted anyways. I will say it's not that difficult to tap and run the lines and looks pretty slick to boot.
Tapping it isn't the issue,it'd be more the tap shavings i'd be worried about.But if it's working for you my hats off to you for doing it the way you did,as it looks good

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???

t0ymach1n3,​

You run directly from the transmission to the cooler and back to the transmission with nothing inline , correct?
Can you tell us what your transmission Temps. run under varying conditions?
Thanks
I do. My temps hover between 110 and 150 depending on weather and driving habits at the time. I know most say there supposed to run at a higher temp, but i'm not worried about it. Tbh, they are easy enough to get and cheap enough that if something were to happen to it because i'm not running the trans heater, then i'll install the OEM stuff and be done with it.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Tapping it isn't the issue,it'd be more the tap shavings i'd be worried about.But if it's working for you my hats off to you for doing it the way you did,as it looks good
Thank you sir. It was a bit of extra work making sure there wasn't any shaving in the trans, but I am satisfied with it lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m adding an inline thermostat to mine. Debated running -10 an line from the trans to the radiator. The factory fittings are -10 orb fittings on the radiator and on the top of the thermal unit. Instead I’m flaring the factory hard line and putting -8 an line. Mounting the thermostat by the radiator. Have new transmission lines coming from mopar so I can get everything flared and fitted ahead of time to hopefully prevent any issues. I’ve noticed on some cold days when the temps reach down in the 40s that my trans will not go above 100°f and it feels very clunky. Also hoping it’ll help every day driving to warm up faster. I’m planning on adding in the ppe trans pan as well when it’s time to do my trans fluid. Highest temp I’ve seen was 142°f on a long highway run with some weight in the truck. Otherwise my average trans temp is around 132°f

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I
I do. My temps hover between 110 and 150 depending on weather and driving habits at the time. I know most say there supposed to run at a higher temp, but i'm not worried about it. Tbh, they are easy enough to get and cheap enough that if something were to happen to it because i'm not running the trans heater, then i'll install the OEM stuff and be done with it.
f you get to where you want to raise the Transmission Temp. a bit I think that rather than go back to OEM you would be wise to just put one of the aftermarket thermostats inline that Wild one has often suggested. What you have now is essentially what you would have using the OEM thermo control unit modified with caulks bypass. You have already tapped the transmission and run the lines. No need to have the OEM Thermo unit hanging off the Trans.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I

f you get to where you want to raise the Transmission Temp. a bit I think that rather than go back to OEM you would be wise to just put one of the aftermarket thermostats inline that Wild one has often suggested. What you have now is essentially what you would have using the OEM thermo control unit modified with caulks bypass. You have already tapped the transmission and run the lines. No need to have the OEM Thermo unit hanging off the Trans.
I totally agree that if I were to live or stay an extended amount of time in a place that was colder than Florida or Texas, i'd reconsider. But I don't see that happening and I also have another 8HP70 sitting in my garage unmolested with all the original lines, thermostat and coolant bypass ready to go. I always have a backup plan :)

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think the 180 thermostat might be part of your issue, unless you have some of the grill slats removed. I have the full revmax kit installed and at interstate speed i usually sit around 140. If you get down to single digit temps it doesn't like to warm up, but otherwise it's pretty warm.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I totally agree that if I were to live or stay an extended amount of time in a place that was colder than Florida or Texas, i'd reconsider. But I don't see that happening and I also have another 8HP70 sitting in my garage unmolested with all the original lines, thermostat and coolant bypass ready to go. I always have a backup plan :)
I imagine it is running cool the last couple of days! ;)
I am over in Cedar Key and mine has been running cooler than I would like the past couple of days.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I drove for about 15 mins this morning when it was close to freezing and it got up to 116. The lowest i've seen it since doing the swap and we've had more than a few cold days. It's usually sitting between 120-145 with the way I drive. But it's steady and has not shown any sign of having issues running HARD at those temps.