8hp70 shifting issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of all things (2018) RAM, the one single thing I HATE, HATE, HATE is the shifting of my trans. Part throttle is fine, but WOT shifts, worse than rubber bands or hamsters running in a cage, are totally for crap. I am loath to spend $1200 for a new ECM, unlock, and tune just to fix it. Totally sucks to get on it and suffer from this crappy flaring issue...

Russ
You don't have to cough it all up at once. I did the diablo pcm swap and tuner. U can start off with their box trans tune.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it hasn't done the kick up again. Must be a gremlin and only act up when it feels like it. I will come back if anything happens.

lukaab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 1500 classic v6 it is in the shop right now getting looked at. The cold shift problem will happen if you don't let the truck warm up, the fluid has to build up pressure to push back through the transmission. Low fluid or or not servived correctly can make seem worse. Many step to check the fluid level on these no dip stick transmission. Mine only does it after it warms up and at low speed like in stop and go traffic. They are doing that 60k filter/fluid change and inspection. Should fix it.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It still does it once in a while. I opened the heater assembly for caulko4’s device and the fluid is pretty dark for 58000. Next week I am doing a service. Going to buy a couple gallons of maxlife to flush it and then change the pan and fill with the factory fill which I have 6 quarts of. I figure getting as much of this old fluid out will be best. I hope this may help with the issue. Not going to worry if it still does it once in a while though as its not throwing any codes.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well This issue has gotten worse with a TCM code. In the past month its gotten worse and I figured out what its doing. It began as a 2-3 shift flair and slam into gear. Now it does it 2-3 and 3-4. Today was the worse case with a P0733 code and locked in 3Rd gear. I read and cleared the code and it’s shifting fine but I onow it will happen again. I am gonna try a fluid and filter change, But doubt its gonna help. The fluid level is correct and and isnt that dirty, I checked that. There is a few posts where others had this code but no repost for the solution. If I fugure it out I will post.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked and looked at the fluid when I installed Caulk04’s device. It was dark but clear and after looking at pictures of some folks fluid mine isn't as bad as it could be.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked and looked at the fluid when I installed Caulk04’s device. It was dark but clear and after looking at pictures of some folks fluid mine isn't as bad as it could be.
So did you do a fluid exchange after all?

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not yet, going to this Saturday. I was waiting till after October as we were out of town all month. It started acting up worse on vacation. It just turned 61000 while on vacation.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not yet, going to this Saturday. I was waiting till after October as we were out of town all month. It started acting up worse on vacation. It just turned 61000 while on vacation.
Ok. Paying this forward…

Attachments

• IMG_1098.png
    IMG_1098.png
    989.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks so much, though I already have that as I did the procedure when I installed Caulks device. Its members like you that share information that makes this forum a great place for help and advice.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much, though I already have that as I did the procedure when I installed Caulks device. Its members like you that share information that makes this forum a great place for help and advice.
Hey, I got it from a buddy on here, so just helping out the next guy!

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I finally figured out what all this mess has been. The reverse, Third and fourth gear shift solenoids were sticking. A lot of research on BMW forums helped. The 8hp70 is used in quiet a few BMW’s. After some post reading I tried an additive. Sea foam trans tune, The results and improved shifting has blown my mind. I am running it for a couple hundred miles then do a fluid and pan change. I will also put another can of the sea foam.
My wife even noticed how much smoother the shift into reverse is now. I really hadn't paid that much attention to it, but it would jerk pretty good going into reverse. What made us notice this most is we bought my wife a 23 ram 1500 longhorn and it shifts silky smooth into reverse. I hope this is a fix that lasts. I will post if I have any more issues.

OP
OP
DtheBC

DtheBC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I ran the Seafoam trans tune for 500 Miles. Drained/refilled ran for a few minutes to mix, drained again, r&r with new pan refilled by the procedure with another can of seafoam in the lifeguard8 and she is still shifting like new. I am sure glad I did the research because I am sure the dealership would have recommended a replacement or would have been a tall bill.