8hp70 tcm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
He is not swapped, FYI

What kind of lift is that? Are you able to tilt it forward to get the trans pan rail level or do you raise the rear level with another device?
I thought he was discussing doing the swap? I might have got it mixed up with another conversation if so

OP
OP
Ram1683

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even though this thread has taken a few turns I'll keep it going. So I just took it out with the hemifever tune for about 30 minutes. Never breaking 40MPH and feather footing it through side street. It's still showing a flare but sometimes it's 1-2 or 3-4 amd sometimes nothing at all I managed to load the stock tune back in and it definitely deserves the name slushbox. Temps stayed with coolant 180-185. 1-2 flare was pretty severe at times and 2-3 a few times but not 3-4. A true rip your hair out moment. I'm at the point where I'm 100% picking up another unit and still going to have an HP tune done for it. I hope the yard with the low mileage unit still has it because now I'm worried about anything over 70k even though I probably shouldn't be

Escondido Steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Well I'm at my wits with this unit. I found a unit with under 1000 miles on it I may go pick up. My question is do I have to swap my TCM into the new trans?
with my unit No matter what I do it won't shift right. I've had the pan down more times than I care to remember and have thrown away hundreds on fluid. Few hours ago I deleted the revmax kit and gave it a belly full of maxlife. Trans holds a steady 165-170 now but it’s never felt so bad. Shifts either flare or delay. When it does shift it feels like the trans in full of mash potatoes. I'm leaving the battery disconnected till around noon tomorrow. Maybe it'll relearn
Don’t feel bad I had my transmission serviced at 82,000mls and 2 weeks later I had no reverse. Long story short after 9 weeks I finally got a new transmission under warranty.

OP
OP
Ram1683

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t feel bad I had my transmission serviced at 82,000mls and 2 weeks later I had no reverse. Long story short after 9 weeks I finally got a new transmission under warranty.
Long as it's under warranty i wouldn't sweat it too much. When mine was still covered it went in twice for the flares. Both times I was told it was normal. "Maybe I'm crazy" ran through my head

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
If you still have problems I found Dodgeboy VERY helpful. You will need HP Tuners but then you can data log exactly what the trans is doing during shifts, send it to Dodgeboy and he will tune accordingly. I fought my trans issues for 2 years before finding him. Took 4-5 revisions in my tune but he nailed it. No one else would touch my Cummins /8HP70 setup. Dodge Boy Calibration 8HP <[email protected]>

OP
OP
Ram1683

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you still have problems I found Dodgeboy VERY helpful. You will need HP Tuners but then you can data log exactly what the trans is doing during shifts, send it to Dodgeboy and he will tune accordingly. I fought my trans issues for 2 years before finding him. Took 4-5 revisions in my tune but he nailed it. No one else would touch my Cummins /8HP70 setup. Dodge Boy Calibration 8HP
I actually already spoke with him a few times in email. As soon as I scoop up the hardware for the HP I'm gonna go with him. Definitely sounds like the best option

OP
OP
Ram1683

Ram1683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6 speed TR6060 swap has been done,but you'll want the "big" checkbook to pay for it. :waytogo:
Love to see what others have done. The trans isn't isn't to pricey if you shop around. I would imagine the driveshaft would be the next pricey part.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have seen some chatter about some of the older 8 speeds experiencing torque converter issues. There was a thread on here somewhere where a guy posted some logs of his transmission but I dont know if there was ever a resolution to his issues. I think under normal operation the TC locks up around 3rd gear and stays locked, so if your TC is having trouble staying locked that would definitely cause some flared shifting.
From the 2019 DT Service Manual:

"The torque converter is a hydraulic device that couples the engine crankshaft to the transmission. The torque converter consists of an outer shell with an internal turbine (1), a stator (3), an overrunning clutch, an impeller (2), and an electronically applied converter clutch. The converter clutch provides reduced engine speed and greater fuel economy when engaged. Clutch engagement also provides reduced transmission fluid temperatures. The converter clutch engages in third through fifth gears. The torque converter hub drives the transmission oil (fluid) pump.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83593 miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Long as it's under warranty i wouldn't sweat it too much. When mine was still covered it went in twice for the flares. Both times I was told it was normal. "Maybe I'm crazy" ran through my head
I can't think of another report of flare on an 8HP, but if you had the issue when it was still under warranty it may have just gotten worse.

Still think this one needs a scan tool and the correct talent to read what's happening.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83593 miles

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From the 2019 DT Service Manual:

"The torque converter is a hydraulic device that couples the engine crankshaft to the transmission. The torque converter consists of an outer shell with an internal turbine (1), a stator (3), an overrunning clutch, an impeller (2), and an electronically applied converter clutch. The converter clutch provides reduced engine speed and greater fuel economy when engaged. Clutch engagement also provides reduced transmission fluid temperatures. The converter clutch engages in third through fifth gears. The torque converter hub drives the transmission oil (fluid) pump.

Regards,
Dusty
I can tell you for certain that the torque converter locks past fifth gear. Maybe they are trying to say it normally locks up anywhere between 3rd and 5th? I think it can unlock whenever it deems necessary, but under normal acceleration operation it locks and stays there while going through the gears (in my truck at least).

Paco3453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You Need to do some data logging.
And get everything back to stock.
My 2 cents.
I hope your Tq converter is good???
Just offering up suggestions.
Good Luck.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
If you still have problems I found Dodgeboy VERY helpful. You will need HP Tuners but then you can data log exactly what the trans is doing during shifts, send it to Dodgeboy and he will tune accordingly. I fought my trans issues for 2 years before finding him. Took 4-5 revisions in my tune but he nailed it. No one else would touch my Cummins /8HP70 setup. Dodge Boy Calibration 8HP <[email protected]>
Does he do more than just transmission tuning? I've been looking for a good tuner because I've been waiting way too long for one from the person I had been using. They were supposed to convert my DiabloSport tunes to HP so I could use them and get the trans to be a bit spicier when driving spiritedly.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Send him an email but I'm pretty sure its just the trans.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does he do more than just transmission tuning? I've been looking for a good tuner because I've been waiting way too long for one from the person I had been using. They were supposed to convert my DiabloSport tunes to HP so I could use them and get the trans to be a bit spicier when driving spiritedly.
What tuner are you waiting to hear from?

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
That is correct. Nothing against him at all as he's always done good by me and very responsive. I've been without a tune for a month now and i'm itching to get some power back in my truck. Especially when I have my ARH LTs coming in Saturday.
Send him an email but I'm pretty sure its just the trans.
Cause I know he's busy, getting over the Covid BS and has a hand that is pretty hurt. I still plan to run his 2.5 HL cam kit even. I'm just getting impatient and wanna show out with my now FBO truck that's looking like a beast!

Attachments

• IMG_5747.JPG
    IMG_5747.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5799(1).JPG
    IMG_5799(1).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 11