8hp90 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey guys. Been doing a small amount of research but not a lot. I was wondering if the 8hp90 is a direct swap form the 8hp70? Lots of guys are taking about kits and stuff for older rams but I searched the forum and didn't see anything relevant to a straight swap on these. I also need to look and see if they make a 4x4 version of this trans. But curiosity has Me wondering.
I'm assuming it is because from what I read tcm is within the transmission and signal seems to come from pcm for temps and input signals.
What you all think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
There's also the option of the 8hp95 track hawk trans that the t case could Bolt to...

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I remember finding a link to a website of a company that does this. I don't recall the website. I think their price was like 10k. Not sure if that included installation. Like is in one of the trans threads on here

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it just a matter of bolting it up or is there some tuning involved?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Considering computer-wise the truck seems to lump the 8HP70 in with the 8HP45, I wouldnt be very surprised if the 8HP90/95 is a straight swap, provided it physically connects up in place of an 8HP70.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok guys I'll start taking donations. Once I have enough I'll let yas know how well it works. [emoji23] On a side note I towed alot more weight with the hemi than I should have today for 500mi and the trans held up alot better than I anticipated. I will say Jay gereene makes a pretty tight trans tune I'm proud of that little truck. Considering the 8hp70 isn't rated for a whole bunch of power it does take a lickin pretty good!

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I've been beating on mine for the past month at 570 to the wheels and I'm just now starting to have some issues.

I added the PPE pan and I wrapped my Y pipe and that seems to help with the temps a lot. It never gets above 190 degrees now where it used to get above 200 regularly.

However I've been getting some weird things happening at stop lights. The first time it happened I thought I had been rear ended. I was sitting at a stoplight and it seemed to violently engage into gear.
Seriously I thought someone ran into me that's how sudden and violent it was.
It's done this to me a couple of times now.

So it would be awesome if I could swap in an 8hp90 but only if it would be cheaper and easier than buying a built 8hp70 from Paramount. Those things are crazy expensive.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm expecting problems down the road with mine. Is your tranny pan deeper? With my 3.5 y pipe I can't go any deeper or it'll rub the pan. Only have like 3/8 Inch clearance. But no cats do I don't get that heat like most do. Pulling a 2 mile 8% grade with 15000lbs on the back I didn't see over 203 degrees so I'm pretty impressed with that. First time towing that kinda weight through the mountains. [emoji57]
That jamming issue sounds sketchy tho.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Can you send a pic of it with ur y pipe in place? When you have time. Mine is about an inch back from stock I think.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can you send a pic of it with ur y pipe in place? When you have time. Mine is about an inch back from stock I think.

You'll need to rework your stock Y pipe for the PPE pan to fit Brandon. Have you wrapped your Y pipe with Header Wrap,a double layer of DEI's header wrap from the cats back on both sides and under the tranny pan does help keep the pan cooler,and heat off the side of the transmission where the pipes run beside it.Only the 8HP95 in the TrackHawks will accept a T-case. The 8HP70 is rated to 516lb-ft continuous you need to be making some serious power to be putting over 500 lb-ft to it.You can upgrade your 70 pretty cheaply to the newer 75 specs using TCS's kit out of Langley BC,which takes it up to roughly a 560 lb-ft rating.There's a PPE dealer semi local to us over in Loydminster. Throw a 160 high flow Milodon thermostat in during the summer,it makes a difference in the tranny temps,i wouldn't run it in the winter though,as you'll freeze to death inside the cabin as soon as it gets below 0 celuis,lol.

You probably know this already,but a lot of guys don't,the number 70 stands for 700 nm of torque / 75 stands for 750 nm of torque / 90 stands for 900 nm of torque and 95 stands for 950 nm of torque,then there's the little 8HP45 which is behind the 3.6 rated at 450 nm of torque.The last 2 digits of the trannies number are it's Newton Meter torque rating

These guys should have the pan in stock over in Loyd.

https://canadiandieselonline.ca/sho...MIq_Hp3-yh3AIVg6DsCh11aQuBEAQYASABEgIuE_D_BwE

Dylan out of Edmonton put one of these kits in young Josh's 8HP70 and the kid hasn't blown up another 8 speed since.He was going through 8 speeds in his boosted truck.Before Dylan rebuilt his 8HP70 with TCS's kit ,he'd went through (2) 8 speeds in a matter of a couple years.Typical Lethbridge young guy,the truck only has 2 positions on the gas pedal,"idle" and "wide open",no in between,lol.If I blow up another 8 speed,i'll be getting Dylan to install the TCS kit and the Sonnax Zip Kit in it.

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products...ttzsyr1vBPo7bZa9GkQXtM8WTLN2am2iJNwS3LAkGW13k

It'd be cheaper to put a Paramount built 70 in then swap it over to the 8HP95 Trackhawk tranny and T-case,but if you're hung up on the 95 check with Hellraiser as they're the only ones I know who've successfully swapped the 95 in.Matt Fikac is running a built Paramount 8HP70 behind his 1,000 horse monster.

BTW if you'd ever get your ass down to Castrol you could look my PPE pan over,lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You'll need to rework your stock Y pipe for the PPE pan to fit Brandon. Have you wrapped your Y pipe with Header Wrap,a double layer of DEI's header wrap from the cats back on both sides and under the tranny pan does help keep the pan cooler,and heat off the side of the transmission where the pipes run beside it.Only the 8HP95 in the TrackHawks will accept a T-case. The 8HP70 is rated to 516lb-ft continuous you need to be making some serious power to be putting over 500 lb-ft to it.You can upgrade your 70 pretty cheaply to the newer 75 specs using TCS's kit out of Langley BC,which takes it up to roughly a 560 lb-ft rating.There's a PPE dealer semi local to us over in Loydminster. Throw a 160 high flow Milodon thermostat in during the summer,it makes a difference in the tranny temps,i wouldn't run it in the winter though,as you'll freeze to death inside the cabin as soon as it gets below 0 celuis,lol.

You probably know this already,but a lot of guys don't,the number 70 stands for 700 nm of torque / 75 stands for 750 nm of torque / 90 stands for 900 nm of torque and 95 stands for 950 nm of torque,then there's the little 8HP45 which is behind the 3.6 rated at 450 nm of torque.The last 2 digits of the trannies number are it's Newton Meter torque rating

These guys should have the pan in stock over in Loyd.

https://canadiandieselonline.ca/sho...MIq_Hp3-yh3AIVg6DsCh11aQuBEAQYASABEgIuE_D_BwE

Dylan out of Edmonton put one of these kits in young Josh's 8HP70 and the kid hasn't blown up another 8 speed since.He was going through 8 speeds in his boosted truck.Before Dylan rebuilt his 8HP70 with TCS's kit ,he'd went through (2) 8 speeds in a matter of a couple years.Typical Lethbridge young guy,the truck only has 2 positions on the gas pedal,"idle" and "wide open",no in between,lol.If I blow up another 8 speed,i'll be getting Dylan to install the TCS kit and the Sonnax Zip Kit in it.

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products...ttzsyr1vBPo7bZa9GkQXtM8WTLN2am2iJNwS3LAkGW13k

It'd be cheaper to put a Paramount built 70 in then swap it over to the 8HP95 Trackhawk tranny and T-case,but if you're hung up on the 95 check with Hellraiser as they're the only ones I know who've successfully swapped the 95 in.Matt Fikac is running a built Paramount 8HP70 behind his 1,000 horse monster.

BTW if you'd ever get your ass down to Castrol you could look my PPE pan over,lol
Thanks Rick that's a ton of info!! Unfortunately I'm actually moving way further from you. [emoji53] (Whitehorse Yukon) that's why I was torturing my poor transmission for the passed few days lol. I do like the idea of a solid rebuild better especially if it's cheaper i Just didn't think it'd hold up.. Good to know it will though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Rick that's a ton of info!! Unfortunately I'm actually moving way further from you. [emoji53] (Whitehorse Yukon) that's why I was torturing my poor transmission for the passed few days lol. I do like the idea of a solid rebuild better especially if it's cheaper i Just didn't think it'd hold up.. Good to know it will though.

That sucks,was looking forward to finally talking you into a trip down to Edmonton for a meet and greet,lol

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I may still Make it down there! Just not this winter. When I do im gonna let you know about a week before and we can make plans!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a reliable way to bypass the thermal management system on these 8 speeds? Seems like that would be a good idea for any of them if they have a lot of power put to them...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is there a reliable way to bypass the thermal management system on these 8 speeds? Seems like that would be a good idea for any of them if they have a lot of power put to them...

You can bypass the heater assembly,but whether you could bypass the thermal valve itself with-out throwing a code i'm not sure. To bypass the heater all you'd have to do is unhook the coolant hoses that go to it,and tie them together on the top of the transmission so they still circulate coolant. The cars don't use a heater,only the trucks do. One thing a few of us have noticed is running a High Flow Milodon 160 engine thermostat will drop the tranny temps a bit,you have to be tuned though,otherwise you'll throw a code for the engine not warming up with-in it's set parameters.The heater will also leave a bit to be desired as far as heat output goes,so if you live where it's cold,you'd want to swap a hotter thermostat back in for the colder month's.
Bypassing the heater is easier said then done though,as the hoses are on the top of the tranny and are a bit of a ***** to get at,even if you drop the tranny crossmember and lower the back of the tranny down

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Frig just getting to the O2 sensor connectors are a pain in the ass. Harder with big pipes too lol. Luckily I had my intake off so I could do it from up top when I was doing my heads.

operator

Professional Firefighter Captain
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A company on Instagram they may be on facebook they are called hell raiser transmissions they just completed a hp90 in a ram 1500 crew cab