8spd fluid change now have a noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
decided to do the 8spd trans fluid change... didn't seem too bad. Got a Mopar pan and the ZF life fluid 8... leveled the trans pan, dropped it and installed the new one. so far so good. went through the fill procedure and pump it in till is ran out of the fill plug hole.. again all seemed great. Jumped in truck took for a drive and all was good, shifts good, temp in normal range, etc (no leaks either).

now I have a "noise" when off throttle at around 30-40mph... sounds sort of like a rattle, or fast ticking. if i shift trans into N while making the noise it goes away also if I throttle up it goes away... if I keep in a gear it doesn't seem to show up?

any ideas?... fluid change was pretty simple, no real way to screw it up (I hope)... not sure if a coincidence or I did something wrong. I rechecked the level today and all seems right.

I don't want to take to a dealer... only thought is to change the fluid again, keep the pan since it is new, but the lifeguard is expensive. Thanks.

Flyinc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I think the opinions on changing your trans fluid are as diverse as what oil and filter to use during an oil change.

Lots of people have very strong opinions on trans fluid/filter changes too.

So here is mine!

There are a few things to consider....
How many miles on the transmission? and were changes done prior and regularly?

If its the first time its been changed and way outside of a normal interval it could be that you had some floating particulates in the fluid from normal wear and tear that the trans became "dependent" on. The clicking may be what you're just going to hear for a while.

When off throttle with a neutral load, and the noise is in fact coming from the trans, sounds like, to me not a pro, it could be in your torque converter.

Since you just replaced the fluid, and its assumingly particulate free, it'll be a bit thinner than what you drained and less able to absorb noises like a ticking.

If it were me i'd just keep an ear on it and not be too worried unless it gets noticeably worse.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you make sure to raise the rear wheels up to get the transmission pan rail level? The transmission in our Rams sits tilted down in the back.

There is a very specific way the fluid level has to be checked. @Wild one has posted the factory instructions numerous times throughout this site.

It has to be filled, then started, and filled more, and then ran through different gears, etc. to be done correctly.

Additionally, the fluid level check has to be completed before the transmission hits 122° F. to insure proper level.

A factory pan drop and fill will take approximately 5 quarts of fluid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes... made sure the mounting flange was level.... I ran through the gears, followed the ZF guidelines and stayed within the temp guidelines... I had just less than 5 quarts after refill.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, definately check it again.

I believe it has to be brought to operating temperature (>180°F) to allow fuid to circulate through the cooler lines, etc., then allowed to cool. After that the fluid level can be checked again.

Here's a copy of the instructions that @Wild one has posted throughout this forum.

IMG_3383 (2) (1).JPG

They are directly from the factory on a brand new 8HP70.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I followed these directions when I did my change. The trans ended up taking about 1/2 quart more fluid after running thru the gears.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I followed these directions when I did my change. The trans ended up taking about 1/2 quart more fluid after running thru the gears.
Same for me, and after I ran it to full operating temp, then let it cool and rechecked the next morning, it took a little more.

OP
OP
J

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks for all the input..... well it seems the issue just happened to align with my trans fluid change.. was digging through the forum some more and realized it is the MDS! .... put the vehicle in 8 using the gear+ and no more sound. Did some initial research on the MDS, now the question is do I just keep putting in 8 through gear+, get a tuner and turn it off or actually get it fixed.. gear+ is easy, tuners seem a bit expensive but I am sure whatever the fix would be would be expensive also and probably beyond my driveway mechanic skills

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this just the first time you've noticed the MDS or is it making a new noise?

OP
OP
J

jlsalani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it is new to me.... have not had this type

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
The most logical thought on this to me is double check your work and your process since you are now having problems. Also thank you to those that have pointed out a few things to me on this subject matter.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like Ed said specifically, did you top off after going through gears? I'd go through the leveling process for a second time to rule it out, that would be the usual suspect here.
Agree here. What fluid did you use? I just did my 6 speed used mopar filters and redline in mine. It feels like a brand new one.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So since you think its the MDS is it ticking? You really need to figure that out fast before you lose the cam.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Agree here. What fluid did you use? I just did my 6 speed used mopar filters and redline in mine. It feels like a brand new one.
There has been at least 3 ram forum members who say redline d6 is too slippery in the 8 speed, but most agree with c+ a great choice for the rfe, no issues at all reported with redline/rfe. Many guys running d6 in 8 speed, but some don't prefer it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There has been at least 3 ram forum members who say redline d6 is too slippery in the 8 speed, but most agree with c+ a great choice for the rfe, no issues at all reported with redline/rfe. Many guys running d6 in 8 speed, but some don't prefer it.
I am loving the C+ in mine. Trans temps went down 10-15 degrees.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A rattle? could it be a hanger or something that got moved when you where working on it.
Or manifold broke, that you just hear now.
I don't see any point to new oil, if everything was done right the first time.
I my truck was very quite, no rattles, wind noises, etc, than got new hearing aids. Well Hell, I can hear some wind noise at 125 km.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
All these posts have convinced me that I do not want to tackle this job. I'm all good with changing my own oil, diff gear oil, and routine stuff but I don't think this is something I want to mess with. Although its going to cost a good chunk of change I'm going to leave this to a professional. I think the best thing you can do sometimes is knowing when to tap out.