8x165.1 vs 8x6.5?? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So, I need some help and was hoping those with 2500 can answer up. I've searched, briefly, so forgive me if this has been answered already and I missed it.

I know these are basically the same size wheel, just one is mm and the other is inches. However, I came across a couple of forums that said a 6.5 can't fit on a 165.1 and vise versa, of course this WAS a Ford forum. Something was mentioned about the difference being the inches, where the hub portion doesn't always line up.

So does anyone here have the 8x6.5 configuration on their 2500?

For me it means the difference between two wheels. Pro Comp 7069's (8x6.5) or Level 8 Tracker Pro's (8x165.1). It's also a difference of close to 50 bucks a wheel, the later being the more expensive.

I appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
Don't forget about inside pilot hole size.
My 2016 SRW 3500 needs 125.5mm pilots.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Don't forget about inside pilot hole size.
My 2016 SRW 3500 needs 125.5mm pilots.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually contacting Pro Comp real quick to see if their wheels will fit. I have been in contact with the Level 8 guys and already have confirmation theirs will as they list them in my actual bolt patter and one of the owners has a 2500 with the wheels I want.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Something for you to think about...

Aftermarket rims are lug centric which means that your lug nuts will center the rim on the hug. OEM rims are hub centric (or hub and lug centric) which means that the hub mates with the rim to center it.

I'm sure lots of people will chime in about this with differing opinions, but here's mine. Having your rim not centered properly will cause vibration, and centering a giant rim on a giant hub on a giant truck just by the force of 8 lug nuts is not enough. There are several companies that manufacture hub centric rings. You will need to provide your hub diameter and the rim center diameter and you will get a ring that fills the gap. Run that along with the lug centric nuts and you will have a rock solid platform.

I ordered mine from Lenny at MotorSport Tech. The hub on my '14 2500 is 121.3mm and you should be able to find the rim inside diameter from the manufacturer.

Some other info I collected when I swapped my tires and rims:

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Man, thank you for the info! I really appreciate it! I'll see if I can get someone from Pro Comp on the phone. They haven't replied to my post on their Facebook page. I know the ones I want are listed as not being hub centric.

As for rim size, I'm actually dropping down from the stock 18" to a 17".

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
They're the same thing. 165.1 mm = 6.5 inches.

That is 100% correct :waytogo:

For anyone else looking at this, the conversion is 1" = 25.4mm

Something for you to think about...

Aftermarket rims are lug centric which means that your lug nuts will center the rim on the hug. OEM rims are hub centric (or hub and lug centric) which means that the hub mates with the rim to center it.

I'm sure lots of people will chime in about this with differing opinions, but here's mine. Having your rim not centered properly will cause vibration, and centering a giant rim on a giant hub on a giant truck just by the force of 8 lug nuts is not enough. There are several companies that manufacture hub centric rings. You will need to provide your hub diameter and the rim center diameter and you will get a ring that fills the gap. Run that along with the lug centric nuts and you will have a rock solid platform.

I ordered mine from Lenny at MotorSport Tech. The hub on my '14 2500 is 121.3mm and you should be able to find the rim inside diameter from the manufacturer.

Some other info I collected when I swapped my tires and rims:

That's not entirely true. Some aftermarket wheels are hub centric. My American Force wheels for example are. However yes, a lot of aftermarket wheels are not and you will definitely want hub rings for them to make them hub centric. It is very common to have vibration issues at highway speeds without them.
Some manufacturers/suppliers include hub rings with the wheels if they know the application. I would inquire about this from whoever you're purchasing from. If they don't Lenny at Motorsport Tech is definitely a great guy to work with and will get you sorted out no problem!

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man, thank you for the info! I really appreciate it! I'll see if I can get someone from Pro Comp on the phone. They haven't replied to my post on their Facebook page. I know the ones I want are listed as not being hub centric.

As for rim size, I'm actually dropping down from the stock 18" to a 17".

Just watch out for the rating on the Rims you are looking at, For example I was looking for Steel Rims and Pro Comp doesn't have a Rim rated for 3/4 tons.. so I went with BlackRock and they have worked out very well. They stick out 2 1/4" more then the stock rims. I use the BlackRocks for hunting/fishing etc.(offroad) and my stock rims are daily drivers.