91 d150 3.9l v6 troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldred

Reaction score
Ram Year
standard 1991 dodge ram d150 sweptline
Engine
3.9L
hello having trouble with the truck. gas job automatic.
a few hiccups after a recent oil change but nothing out of the ordinary.

drove it up to maine from massachusetts ran mint all the way up the highway hundred and twenty miles, pick up a chainsaw from a guy for a decent deal then drove to a mobil to throw a few gallons in before hitting the highway. started acting like a COMPLETELY different vehicle after i pulled out the station. sounded like a friggin cat was caught up in my fuel pump, truck was struggling to accelerate hardly any response on the gas pedal, but the more i floored it itd clear up abit. i was a long ways from home so i had no choice but to run it.

dont ask me how but i made it home and let the truck relax.
next day ran okay up until it warmed up same problem. then a few days later i had to drive out west to deliver some wood same issues but delivered the wood and took the dog for a hike at a state park. got back from the hike started up the truck idled for abit and died. no start afterwards.
well i was near my buddys shop so i got a free tow over, they said i needed a ecm and coil. slapped those in started and ran but same issue. after it warms up runs bad. tried a fuel filter, new rotor and cap. nothing.

i do have a intake manifold leak that ive been putting off which could very well be the issue. but its been leaking slow for over two years and never ran like this. but maybe that gas up in maine was bad? ruined my fuel pump? injectors?
maybe distributor or egr or one of the many original 1991 sensors on the truck went bad?
dont know, no codes are popping up but that doesnt mean nothing. maybe i can get the truck back home with some new plugs dont know but if i get back home im going start throwin in those intake gaskets maybe test some of the sensors.
any ideas folks?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
maybe it is the hall effects sensor in the distributor or maybe the fuel pump is going bad. hall effects sensor is likely the easier and cheaper job to do.