'91 Speedometer signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1991 with a 318 and Auto Tranny

Speedometer and odometer aren't moving. Had my speedometer fixed by a professional. Installed speedometer back in dodge, it no work. Distance sensor swapped out. Still no work. What do I need to check in my dodge before I say issue lies with the "fixed" speedometer?

P.S. In factory service manual it says to test for continuity between two points but only shows one of the two points. Any idea what the other is?

What is a distance sensor test?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211004-150758_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-150758_Dropbox.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211004-150440_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-150440_Dropbox.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a 91 W250 with the Cummins, it had an electronic speedometer that only worked when it wanted to for a long time. The issue with mine ended up being a bad connecter at the sensor on the trans, once I replaced the connector it worked good as new.

B250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8 MFI
On my B250 it has an electronic speedometer that uses the old mechanical take-off for the sensor mount.

I had a VSS error code logged (but no check engine light on) on a winters day when something froze in there and stopped it working. Since then it has worked fine for me.

The first thing I did when I bought the van was to take the instruments off and solder all the pins to the PCB to make double-sure they had a good connection. The PCB material reminds me of the 1960's circuit boards on old record players. It can de-laminate and the connector pins work loose.

A cable speedometer is unlikely to cause trouble. The main thing is that the ends are seated properly in their sockets. A snapped plastic clip can let the cable slip out of its socket. It's also often hard to get access to push the cable into the speedometer socket properly

Another problem that may occur is the plastic cogs in the speedometer get brittle with age and crumble.

I'd try getting an instrument cluster from a junkyard and see if it works.

The final problem could be an issue with the computer but I wouldn't treat that as a likely cause of the problem