93’ D150 5.2L 318 Magnum Mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jreina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
So i recently got my first D150 and have been looking at possible mods to increase performance. It’s not completely a daily driver but i also will never be putting it on a track. I just want to see if it’s possible to add power without losing all low end performance. I’ve looked into the addition of an intake + carb, cam upgrade, exhaust upgrade, etc but they all seem to make it lose a lot of lower end performance which i will be using most of the time. Any advice would be super helpful thanks!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
as far as i know 1.7 roller rockers are maybe about the only mod that would work with stock pcm and is equivalent to getting a cam. i would say as long as the stock fuel injection is working keep running it. otherwise you will likely loose power and performance going to carb.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
pretty sure most power mods will involve $$$ and either a pcm reprogram or delete. if you accept this, you can add power while keeping the stock grind cams. I think the easiest would be to keep stock cam and add higher flow heads. Edelbrock makes a nice set but that's also about $2500 + . Add in their intake manifold and that's probably the easiest bolt on power you'll get. JEGS has some Enginequest heads that are much cheaper but has 1.92 intake valves, only slightly smaller. It will require using an LA intake manifold. Luckily Edelbrock makes a performer intake manifold that'll bolt on to that.

If you feel like tearing into the motor, then yes more aggressive cams would be a good way to add power but this would for sure necessitate new lifters, possibly push rods and valve springs. At that point you're pretty much obliged to go with new heads. as well, I'm pretty sure the OEM oil pump gear will not be compatible with after market cams.

maybe an easier way to get a bit more pep out of the truck, change gearing to something like 3.73 or maybe 4.10. you're not adding power but you'll have better mechanical advantage. you have a 4 speed trans so you shouldn't be revving to the sky on the highway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba