93k miles, a transmission fluid change and still shuddering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettLaube

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello, relatively new to this forum since I couldnt find any answers on any other forums, I have a 2014 1500 sport crewcab with the zf 8 speed and 5.7 hemi, a little over a month ago I noticed that from 1-2nd gear from a complete stop there is a shudder followed by a bump at quarter-half throttle on a cold day, when my tranny temp gets to about 180-200 it is a lot more subtle. Went to dealership to address it and they recommended a transmission fluid change since I was close to the 100k mark for a ATF change. $800 later they installed a new filter and ATF fluid and I figured I was good to go, got off the lot with no shudder. Now we are here at 93k miles and it is shuddering and bumping again, most notably when I gave half throttle from a stop, engine shifted into first no problem but was stuck at 1500 rpm attempting to shift to second for at least 2 seconds, meanwhile I was still gaining speed. Haven't had it happen since but I am worried, anyone ever have this problem before or is it just me?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello, relatively new to this forum since I couldnt find any answers on any other forums, I have a 2014 1500 sport crewcab with the zf 8 speed and 5.7 hemi, a little over a month ago I noticed that from 1-2nd gear from a complete stop there is a shudder followed by a bump at quarter-half throttle on a cold day, when my tranny temp gets to about 180-200 it is a lot more subtle. Went to dealership to address it and they recommended a transmission fluid change since I was close to the 100k mark for a ATF change. $800 later they installed a new filter and ATF fluid and I figured I was good to go, got off the lot with no shudder. Now we are here at 93k miles and it is shuddering and bumping again, most notably when I gave half throttle from a stop, engine shifted into first no problem but was stuck at 1500 rpm attempting to shift to second for at least 2 seconds, meanwhile I was still gaining speed. Haven't had it happen since but I am worried, anyone ever have this problem before or is it just me?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

For ***** and giggles if it was me,i'd double check the fluid level in the transmission first,then go from there. Here's the instructions for the fluid level checking procedure,pay attention to the very first highlighted paragraph,the rear of the truck has to be jacked up quite aways to level the transmissions pan rail.The instructions look intimidating,but they're actually not all that bad,you just basically go through the gears and then let it shift into 2nd gear ,so you'll want to support the truck pretty good with jackstands so it doesn't have the tires touch the ground while you're accelerating into 2nd gear,and then back to neutral and park

IMG_3383 (2).JPG

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's done much shuddering already then the damage is likely already done.Doesn't take much slippage to damage the fibre clutch plates.

rsfdiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine's doing it too. 2014 RAM. I hear there are allot of transmissions doing this. Fluid change isn't the issue. The manufacturing world's policy of engineering/designing a wear life in parts is the issue. Refrigerators always cost a bunch but in the old days they lasted, now $2200 refrigerators may last 5 years (my sister has a gas range from before the depression, nothing ever broke on it, ever, and it cooks better than your $4000 Viking). When they design things initially, the parts would last. But there are scores of engineers who design wear lifes in parts. Why does the AC unit (alternator, power steering, front ends...) go out shortly after the warranty goes out? Engineered wear life. You spend a small fortune for something that is designed to be disposable.

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Mine turned out to be bad torque converter. Back order all across North America. Replaced with new and all surging and shudder now gone. ~2K $ to repair.