95 Dodge trans issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tartmonkey22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, new to the forum. I just purchased a 95 2500 with the 5.9 and 4x4. Motor runs great. Trans has some issue. It has the 46rh in it. And while I find lots of threads on the 46re not many for mine. The truck has just about 180k on it. The trans had a full rebuild at 176k but thst was back in 2006, so no warrantee on it. It sat for a year before i bought it with only being started here and there to move it around a storage shed.
Issue I'm having is it seems to shift through the first 3 gears fairly quickly, but not past that. Even in third gear I am limited to around 30 mph and I am up to 4000 rpm. OD button lights up when pushed but nothing else happens. I've added fluid to it with no diffrence. Reverse works fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello all, new to the forum. I just purchased a 95 2500 with the 5.9 and 4x4. Motor runs great. Trans has some issue. It has the 46rh in it. And while I find lots of threads on the 46re not many for mine. The truck has just about 180k on it. The trans had a full rebuild at 176k but thst was back in 2006, so no warrantee on it. It sat for a year before i bought it with only being started here and there to move it around a storage shed.
Issue I'm having is it seems to shift through the first 3 gears fairly quickly, but not past that. Even in third gear I am limited to around 30 mph and I am up to 4000 rpm. OD button lights up when pushed but nothing else happens. I've added fluid to it with no diffrence. Reverse works fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Your transmission is a very simple unit. Its basically a 727 with an overdrive unit bolted on to the back. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear operate exactly the same at the 46RE. Now, on to some diagnostic questions.

Do you feel it upshift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd when the shift lever is in the Drive position?

How does it shift from 1st to 2nd when you manually move the shift lever? How about from 2nd to 3rd?

Are you saying you cannot accelerate any faster than 30mph? Does this happen with the accelerator pedal pushed down pretty far?

Normally when the 46RH shifts 1-2-3 really quick or fairly fast means that the TV Cable, or Throttle Valve Cable has broken or is poorly adjusted. When the throttle valve in the valve body does not have a constant pressure applied by the cable during acceleration the trans upshifts quickly.

Can you take a video of the truck while driving so I can see the tach and the speed?

87LC2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I just went through a similar situation (not exactly the same, but similar) with a truck that had been sitting for 3-4 years. I noticed the TV Cable was a bit loose at the throtle body so had a look underneath at the connection at the transmission. Sure enough, the return spring mechanism for the TV cable was bound up from sitting. I lubed it up with some 3in 1 oil and moved it by hand until it was nice a free. After that the transmission shifts perfectly, have not had an issue in the hundred or so miles I've driven it.

Not saying this is your problem, but worth a shot since it's been sitting. If that doesn't do it I would adjust the TV cable, but make sure it's not bound up before adjusting.