95 ram 2500 v8 5.9l differential fluid type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 dodge ram 2500
Engine
5.9l v8 gas
so I'm trying to figure out what type of diff fluid my rear axle would take and I'm also looking for a parts number or a website that would lead me where I could get a new spider gear rebuild kit if there is a rebuild kit. I'm not exactly sure how to identify what type of axle I have. all I know it the number on the tag that's on the diff itself #605634-6 its got a ten bolt pattern on the diff pan. it a new truck to me just bought it so I don't know much about the truck yet and I've never had to service or rebuild a rear differential so if anyone has any info or a place to start looking id greatly appreciate.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There should likely be some basic info on it on the build tag inside your glove box

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so I'm trying to figure out what type of diff fluid my rear axle would take and I'm also looking for a parts number or a website that would lead me where I could get a new spider gear rebuild kit if there is a rebuild kit. I'm not exactly sure how to identify what type of axle I have. all I know it the number on the tag that's on the diff itself #605634-6 its got a ten bolt pattern on the diff pan. it a new truck to me just bought it so I don't know much about the truck yet and I've never had to service or rebuild a rear differential so if anyone has any info or a place to start looking id greatly appreciate.
With the BOM, or Bill of Materials Number of 605634-6, this is a full floating Dana 60 with 4.10 gears.

Now, with that being said, Dana originally recommended 80W/90 gear oil for this rear diff and they also recommended the addition of a friction modifier for the limited slip applications.

Then they changed to recommending a fully synthetic 75W/140 and the addition of a friction modifier if it was a limited slip diff.

There are a lot if 4x4 shops and independent shops that recommend a fully synthetic 75W/90 gear oil as well.

I personally use the full synthetic 75W/90 and if my customer request it I will use the 75W/140. Don't forget the friction modifier if you have a limited slip.