96 1500 5.2L V8Mag 5Spd Man Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyncobb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnun 5.2 Liter
Brand New Member today looking for help. Driving my 96 on Hwy yesterday and 5Th gear at 75 was whining but no problems driving. Turned off Hwy and downshifted into 3rd on the exit & gear started chattering with clicking noise. Downshifted into 2nd and 1st at low speeds and same noises. Got gas, got back on Hwy to drive 175 miles home and doing 55-65 in 4th gear no noise and smooth. But when I got home & exited Hwy 3rd, 2nd and first gears all chattering with really loud click/hammer noise and difficulty going into those gears. Shifted into 4th with no noises to get home at 30MPH & also reverse works fine. Anyone had this problem? Any help pinpointing problem and solution would be appreciated. Can’t afford new tranny but have sunk $2-2.5K into it during pandemic and love the 8’ft bed & cab. Thx fir your help & any response.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Brand New Member today looking for help. Driving my 96 on Hwy yesterday and 5Th gear at 75 was whining but no problems driving. Turned off Hwy and downshifted into 3rd on the exit & gear started chattering with clicking noise. Downshifted into 2nd and 1st at low speeds and same noises. Got gas, got back on Hwy to drive 175 miles home and doing 55-65 in 4th gear no noise and smooth. But when I got home & exited Hwy 3rd, 2nd and first gears all chattering with really loud click/hammer noise and difficulty going into those gears. Shifted into 4th with no noises to get home at 30MPH & also reverse works fine. Anyone had this problem? Any help pinpointing problem and solution would be appreciated. Can’t afford new tranny but have sunk $2-2.5K into it during pandemic and love the 8’ft bed & cab. Thx fir your help & any response.
Do you still have 5th gear? If not, then the 5th gear nut has loosened and is probably laying right behind the gear. There are several repair kits available for the 5th gear issue or you can get creative like me.

If you still have an operational 5th gear then the problem may lie elsewhere. Possible a failed gear or bearing. Pull the drain plug and inspect the fluid for some answers.