'96 2500 plow truck won't run after sitting the winter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hey all,

I parked my '96 Ram and hadn't started it all winter.

Came out on a warm spring day to start it. It actually started fairly quickly and ran for about 2 minutes, was smoothing out and just beginning to warm up when it suddenly died. Tried several times to restart it to no avail. It cranks quickly but acts like it gets no fire.

Threw a little fresh gas down the throttle body and also tried to hit it with ether. Still did not start. Haven't gotten to the cap and rotor yet as they are buried under the cowl but will in an hour or so from this post.

Any Ideas?

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all if it doesn,t start with gas down the tb, then don,t use either thats for diesel engines in the winter when they won,t start. Can you hear the fuel pump? it mayhave gone away.

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I couldn't hear the fuel pump but don't remember ever having heard it in the past. Yes, I was a bit unsure of the other but I DID try the gas down the TB truck with no result.

I'm going to run down and pick up a cap and rotor. They have not been changed in a long time anyway.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
fuel pumps are cheap if the cap and rotor doesnt fix it. Fuel pump should run you anywhere between $35-100. Good preventative maintenance in any case.

Please report back.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ignition coils were fairly common to fail on those too

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Thank you, folks for the suggestions. Other, job-related issues have come up since my last post and I have put the troubleshooting on hold for the week. Will follow up with results as I tend to them.

Thanks again for the time you've taken in replying.

Ralph

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, folks for the suggestions. Other, job-related issues have come up since my last post and I have put the troubleshooting on hold for the week. Will follow up with results as I tend to them.

Thanks again for the time you've taken in replying.

Ralph
I would see what you are missing. Either spark or fuel. Probably spark since the gas didn't ignite.

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hello again all,

My problem still persists.
Here's what I've done so far:
I replaced the coil and the truck started right up. But after 2 minutes, died. I replaced the new coil and the truck started again.
Could something in the ignition system damage the coil?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Short somewhere? sat all winter so any sign of rodents?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bad connection from corrosion could also mean it could start, but a poor connection means it can't get enough current to stay running.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There are literally a hundred things that could be causing this. The way I figure it, start with the easy stuff first. Sometimes you get lucky!

Easy starting, engine kills and then takes several cranks to start it again strikes me as a dodgy (no pun intended) crankshaft sensor. When these go bad, they cause the computer to open the fuel pump circuit while the engine is running. No fuel pump = no fuel = no running engine.

If you can get ahold of a fuel pressure tester (make sure it's rated for fuel injection!), hook it up (very easy in these trucks), then turn the power on. The gauge should jump to ~45 PSI and drop VERY slowly over the course of a few minutes. If you get no pressure at all, try swapping the fuel pump relay. If that does nothing, you're looking at a shot fuel pump, bad wiring, bad connector or any combination.

If the static pressure checks out okay, then start the engine and watch the gauge. Again, it should be reading at least 45 PSI while the engine is running. If the engine kills and the pressure doesn't change, I'd be doubting a fuel problem. If the pressure drops steadily while running, I'd be leaning on a weak fuel pump. If the pressure drops suddenly, I'd suspect a faulty crankshaft sensor.

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
fuel pumps are cheap if the cap and rotor doesnt fix it. Fuel pump should run you anywhere between $35-100. Good preventative maintenance in any case.

Please report back.

Hello DodgeTX,
I have attached a manometer and am not getting any pressure, or very little, actually. I even pushed the check valve of the fitting on the fuel rack and almost no pressure is seen there with the ignition switch on. If, however, I cycle the ignition switch several times, I'll get a small spurt of gas out of that Schrader fitting when depressing with a fingernail. I suppose if my fuel pump was working correctly, I should have fuel shooting out that fitting. It's quite rusted along with the rest of the fuel rail. I'm including a picture of it.20191025_201719.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Just checked the fuel pump relay and it is fine. I also got a little more fuel up to the engine but no where near 45 PSI. This might mean a bad fuel pump which entails dropping the tank I presume. By the way, I have not found an in-line fuel filter so am I correct in assuming the filter is also in the tank and part of the fuel pump?