'96 Ram 1500 5.9 Mag Grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharkiesha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
This problem started about a month ago and pretty much what happens is when I pull up to a stop light or anywhere where I have to come to a complete stop, I'll start to drive away and it will grind until I either let off and barely put any throttle into it or just let it grind until it shifts into second. I have noticed when I pop it into neutral before I come to a complete stop and pop back into drive right before I start driving, it won't seem to grind at all. Any suggestions?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would be looking over the brakes and popping both diff covers as well as trans pan.

You really haven't given us much to go off

OP
OP
S

Sharkiesha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sorry, haven't really used forums much. I have taken off the diff cover and looked, no metal bits or any suspect of grinding there. Also drained and filled the transfer case, fluid in it looked fine. I would take that apart also but I just haven't really got the time or money to do so. I wanna look over everything first before I gotta take it to a tranny shop to get it looked over professionally.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
One thing you can check that is completely free and relatively easy is to pull the torque converter inspection plate where the transmission meets the engine block. Starter will need to come off as will 2 block-bellhousing braces but aside from that and the few bolts that hold the plate on, that's all. From there you can verify that the converter to flexplate bolts havent loosened. I myself went through this 6 months ago. The sound will scare the hell out of ya but upon pulling that plate out was pretty evident what was going on.

Re-reading your description it sounds very very much like what mine was doing

OP
OP
S

Sharkiesha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sorry for taking so long, just got around to doing it yesterday. I drained the transmission, no irregular wear or any metal bits and pieces. I also took off that plate, I didn't see much? There didn't seem to be any damaged teeth, or any wear really. You wanna explain what you saw? Im just baffled by the entire thing