96 ram 1500 tranny issues ( has 97 tranny )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I have a 96 dodge ram 1500 5.2 2wd. While back had issues where the truck would stall going Into first gear. Then, when it would run, I would get to about 45-55 mph, would feel like the engine was going to jump out from under the hood.
I replaced the governor pressure sensor, and another sensor think it was the fluid level sensor. Both in the tranny up under the tranny valves. So after weeks of ordering the sensors and getting the wrong sensors, because as it turns out my 96 ram has a transmission out of a 97 4wd. But, replaced the sensors, truck drove dam good for a few months. Now, I live in Ohio. So last year when the temp fell here to about 40, I went out started the truck started fine, but when I put it in gear to go to work she didn't want to move. I'm like well maybe it was because it's cold. Drove all the way to work and the truck acted as if I was pulling a house. It doesn't like to get out of first gear. Now, this doesn't happen only in colder temps. Went out after work ran just fine. If more often then none now, whenever I come to a complete stop she does not want to move. It will drive forward, again as if I have a heavy load behind me. I have had this truck couple years now never towed anything.
So, at times I have to get the rpms up to about 4000, to get it to shift. This happens so intermittently now, so I know it's not just colder temps.
The tranny has no leaks, it stays about full ( smidge over ). But it's doing it more and more to the point I just parked it. Any ideas on what else to check for. Also, at that time I replaced the speed sensor.
Any thoughts ideas help of any kind appreciated..

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slipping torque converter? Or May be time for a new trans or a rebuild trans. How many miles on it? 96-97 are an odd year. Somewhat of an in between. Had a 97 1500 but shared a lot of 96 parts and 97 parts. Was hard to find parts so I had to pull them and try to figure out part numbers before ordering so I didn’t order the wrong part. Stalling into first gear could also be an IAC issue. If it’s dirty or the IAC passage is partially clogged it’ll cause that as well.

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for replying. Well, the odom on truck is around 227,000. But as far as the tranny, that I'm unsure. Didnt know it ever changed out, just that the part ordered for the 96 didn't fit, electrical plug on it was flipped compared to what was on mine. As for the stalling, after replacing the governor pressure switch and solenoid the stalling hasn't happened.
As far as tranny goes on my problem with the truck is the feels I'm pulling a heavy load. Won't shift outta first. Without slamming or reving to about 4000rpms

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still most likely trans related. Could be a brake hanging up but I would think it would be noticeable if a brake was sticking. The brake would be hot and the truck would be pulling to that side. If it’s trans slipping it’ll take more throttle to move. That would be my assumption as nothing engine would cause the 4,000 rpm shifting either. That’s also another thing pointing to trans. Is the trans oil level good? Does the fluid smell burnt? Or is discolored? What about diff fluid? All good in the diff?

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done a fluid drain and change once when the original problems started, new oil, new filter, new gasket.
Symptoms went away for short period. Then bought code reader, came up with the governor pressure sensor and the other sensor next to that one. Again, new fluid, new gasket and filter. Once I replaced all that, the stalling and the engine shake stopped. That problem has not come back. Now it just act like heavy loads from take off from complete, or rolling stops.
As for the diff. I'm not sure of that either.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have done a fluid drain and change once when the original problems started, new oil, new filter, new gasket.
Symptoms went away for short period. Then bought code reader, came up with the governor pressure sensor and the other sensor next to that one. Again, new fluid, new gasket and filter. Once I replaced all that, the stalling and the engine shake stopped. That problem has not come back. Now it just act like heavy loads from take off from complete, or rolling stops.
As for the diff. I'm not sure of that either.
Jack the rear axle up and see how hard it is to turn the tires by hand. A little drag is fine. Same with the front. Best bet is to block the front tires when you do the rear and put the trans in neutral and have the parking brake disengaged.

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok something I hadn't thought about. But will do that hopefully within next couple days.. thanks

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, forgot to mention, at times I can pull off somewhere, shut the truck off, start it back up and the problem stops. Not as often now, but sometimes that helps, sometimes just til the stop.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok something I hadn't thought about. But will do that hopefully within next couple days.. thanks
That’ll tell you if you have any brakes binding or an issue in the rear diff. I’m still leaning towards transmission. Could also try turning the overdrive off and maybe clicking the tow button to see if it’s the overdrive or torque converter. Only do that around town not on the highway. Just something to try.

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also just replaced the over drive button assembly, couple months ago because my fog light button didn't work. But I changed it out on the exact same year and model.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not worried about the button working. Just trying to narrow down possibilities.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slipping torque converter? Or May be time for a new trans or a rebuild trans. How many miles on it? 96-97 are an odd year. Somewhat of an in between. Had a 97 1500 but shared a lot of 96 parts and 97 parts. Was hard to find parts so I had to pull them and try to figure out part numbers before ordering so I didn’t order the wrong part. Stalling into first gear could also be an IAC issue. If it’s dirty or the IAC passage is partially clogged it’ll cause that as well.
This is how my 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 is. Some parts fit the years 09-12, others fits 09-18, and then some fit 11-18. It was really annoying when I first got the truck r changing something for the first time, had to return and order the other part! Even when using VIN. Another odd year for the Dodge/Rams

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mentioned the button because of the comment about the overdrive. That reminded that I had changed that assembly before this issue, but I don't use that button

OP
OP
Badcom

Badcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Lyle Longboat
Yea it was annoying as crap. Same part number that was on my part that came off, same part number when I ordered em, part electric plug was backwards did this like 5 times, before some young kid at AutoZone dug more and figured it out...