97 5.9 (gas) Tranny slipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etdavenport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 1997
Engine
6.4, 5.9 Magnum
I have a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9 magnum. Transmission was recently rebuilt by a highly reputable local mechanic (guy is good). TV's were a bit off at first, so I had him readjust and everything was fine for a bit, but I have something going on and not sure what it is. IT has been a year and a half since the rebuild, so I was hoping to get an idea what is may be prior to taking it in.

The Problem:

When I first start the truck, (warm or cold weather doesn't seem to matter) the truck feels and sounds exactly like the fan clutch is freezing. BUT, it also doesn't accelerate very well. After a few blocks, it "lets go" and I get all my acceleration back and the high rev extra noise goes away.

Would a sticky fan clutch affect acceleration? The difference is NOT slight. ITs notable. Almost like it is slipping until it gets warm.

Is my new tranny slipping?

Thanks ahead of time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best bet is to check your fan clutch. If it’s sounds like an airplane or tornado than yea good chance. My work van does that 2019 gmc 2500 van. Every morning after a good long day of driving the day prior I can start my van and the fan is locked. Give it a good bit of throttle to about 2000 rpm and hold it and usually after 20 seconds the fan will release. The van will drive poorly until the fan releases. The fan being locked is a lot of drag on the engine. Generally under normal circumstances the fan does not lock but usually is a sign of the clutch going bad. The one in my work van is now 3 years old and I think over 40,000 miles on it and has done it since new

OP
OP
etdavenport

etdavenport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 1997
Engine
6.4, 5.9 Magnum
Best bet is to check your fan clutch. If it’s sounds like an airplane or tornado than yea good chance. My work van does that 2019 gmc 2500 van. Every morning after a good long day of driving the day prior I can start my van and the fan is locked. Give it a good bit of throttle to about 2000 rpm and hold it and usually after 20 seconds the fan will release. The van will drive poorly until the fan releases. The fan being locked is a lot of drag on the engine. Generally under normal circumstances the fan does not lock but usually is a sign of the clutch going bad. The one in my work van is now 3 years old and I think over 40,000 miles on it and has done it since new
My first thought was that it is the fan clutch, but the performance is night and day until the thing lets go. It's a huge performance drain. Like driving with the e-brake on got about 5 minutes. I will try that first and see it solved the problem. That is a cheap easy fix if it is the problem.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy way to tell if it's the fan or transmission.
IF the transmission is slipping, your rpms will be high (on the tach) and you will be going slow.
IF the fan isn't slipping like it should, your rpms will be close to normal for your gear (other than being slightly higher due to giving it more throttle) and it will be a huge power drain.

To test you can just remove the fan the night before, in the morning go for a short drive to see if the problem is still there or not.