99 Electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Padre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant figure this out.
I suudenly have no dash lights what so ever. My led pods will not come on if my headlights are on. No fuses blown. If I flip on the pods they light up until i turn on my headlights. Then they shut off. Even the light up toggle switches go dark. They've been installed and working fine for over 4yrs. Never had an issue until i wired in a relay for my ham radio. The 120A relay is wired in line on a 4guage from the battery with the accessory input fuse tapped into a completely isolated separate circuit. Both the relay and radio are grounded to the seat to floor bolt. Same day I also unplugged the badly working alarm, however i replugged it to not have ignition issues. Wracking my brain on this.
Anyone have any ideas?

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Are your pods wired to the fog light wiring and your high beams are on? also dash lights, all going out at once... sounds like a blown fuse.
Likely feeding something back. Best just to get a wiring diagram and go one wire at a time until you figure out what you goofed up ;)

There is not that many wires in the factory exterior light circuit, so it's pretty easy to trace.

OP
OP
Padre

Padre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are your pods wired to the fog light wiring and your high beams are on? also dash lights, all going out at once... sounds like a blown fuse.
Likely feeding something back. Best just to get a wiring diagram and go one wire at a time until you figure out what you goofed up ;)

There is not that many wires in the factory exterior light circuit, so it's pretty easy to trace.
Pods are wired to two independent toggle switches to come on at anytime. Thinking i might try running them off the battery directly. Completely isolate them. Tested every fuse in the fuse block on the side of the dash. None blown.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
need more details on your vehicle. what motor size? Do you have daytime running lights? do you have quad headlights option?

OP
OP
Padre

Padre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it may have to do with the alarm. Found out this am, i also have no parking lights

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
At a minimum these should help you figure out what wire does what and get the truck wiring back working again. As far as alarms and accessory lights, you'll be on your own.
I usually tear that aftermarket stuff out and redo it proper once I get the factory stuff patched up and working 100%.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
This might not mean much , but I have worked on Copy machines for over 30 years ! I also believe it is required by law that your Dash lights and tail lights are supposed to work together, such that if your tail lights go out, your dash lights do as well.
Your first clue is that it wasn't a problem until you wired in your Ham ! You may have indeed wired it correctly, but it is very easy to pinch a wire and not realize it. Go back to the step before you had the problem, and follow through, make sure you didn't pinch a wire!

You might also discover , that you actually did something wrong, happens to all of us. Don't feel bad though!

Last edited: