99 ram no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I recently picked up a 99 ram single cab with a 5.9 auto. I've always wanted a 24v standard cab truck. I managed to pick this truck up cheap with a smashed front end. It started up and moved so I knew I had to get it. Got it home and over the past couple weeks i've managed to aquire a complete radiator support and parts to put the front end back together. Today I went to start it up and hook the RF frame to a tree to straighten it and the truck started then cut off after about 5 seconds. Long story short no fuel. The truck has a FASS system under the bed right behind the driver seat and the filters were empty. I found the power and ground harness to the relay for the system not hooked up. Connected them but still no go. So i put 12v directly to the supply to the pump and it'll make noise like it's pumping but no fuel. I removed the water separator and filter and it's not pumping at all. There's a serial number but no part numbers on it but I assume it's a 165gpm since that's what most sites sell for these trucks. Should I pull the bed and check tank to make sure something hasn't come off inside and it's just sucking air or is it time for a new pump motor? I can't seem to find a 165 fass replacement pump

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Do you know how much fuel is in the tank? Do you know how the supply is hooked up?

Should be able to pull the supply line to the fuel tank and get a 5 gallon bucket with some diesel in it and see if it will pump from there?

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I was able to get out inbetween the downpours today and get the supply off the pump and drop it in a container and same results. i even took the feed line off the HPP and bypassed the relay and all i get is a momentary spit when the pump turns on and that's it. I can put my finger on the line from the tank to the FASS and no suction is felt. The hose is dryrotted pretty bad so i'll replace it but you can blow through it and a little pressure is lost at the fitting where there's no hose clamp. It'll spin but won't pull off lol The diagram on the FASS website shows it pulling from the tank, through the separator before entering the pump then it's pushed into the filter so either the pump is bad, something got into the pump and clogged it (maybe there's a screen on the bottom?) or the water separator has an issue

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Doing some research I'm seeing alot of FASS motor failures and even with a new one that one may last a year and have an issue. Im wondering if i can upgrade it to the 260 gph pump vs the 165 gph pump that is called for on the 98.5-04 ram kits if it'll cause any issues

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
It lives! Turns out the ECM wasn't sending power to the FASS Relay so the truck ran until it airlocked the system. I used a boat pump to fill the system then re-attached at the HPP and let the pump run. Truck still wouldn't start. I cracked 1, 3 and 4 injector tubes and shot the turbo with some starting fluid. Did that 2x and it started with a miss. Tightened the lines and it ran perfect. ABout that time i noticed the return from the FASS to the filler neck was spewing fuel. Those blue hoses from the kit were dryrotted very bad so i replaced them all. Now I'm left figuring out why the ECM isnt sending the 12v to the pump. I noticed once the tach didnt jump while cranking/running, it stayed 0rpm but I wouldn't think one hickup with the CKP would cause it to not run the pump once it started working again. I've seen 24vs with no tach running fine.