999,999 drivetrain warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
I bought a cpo Callenger in 2015,a 2013 model with 34k on it.I was offered the lifetime warranty.The 999,999 miles is correct.What some don't realize is that if a repair exceeds the market book value of the car,then they just pay you that value.Not gonna fix the problem also tho.So if anyone thinks say,a car with 300k on it and it needs a motor and said motor exceeds the car value,guess what? You get the cars value as I said.Dont know what a 30k mileage car would be worth on the books but I bet it wouldnt be worth a 7 or 8 thousand dollar motor.Now if they get a very used motor you may get that done possibly. My warranty was a Chrysler corporation warranty.And it cost about 2k

OP
OP
K

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll definitely be using something with the Chrysler spec. Right now I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. It looks like the owners manual doesn't require any particular oil viscosity but suggests reading the filler cap for their recommended weight. So, I think I'm okay, there.

I know there's a lot more to that warranty than is shown in the single page "declarations" they gave me. I've already contacted the dealership for a copy of the full contract so I can read and understand the details. I'm a recovering insurance agent and I'm into reading contract details. Weird, I know.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It's mostly a marketing thing, makes you think you got something for nothing. It'll be about as useful as a lottery ticket.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
When I bought my 2021 Ram 1500 I was told there is a 999,999 mile lifetime drivetrain warranty. That seems too good to be true.

I'm sure you would need maintenance records to make use of that warranty. But, still... seems impossible.

Does anyone know the terms of that warranty or what the "catch" is?
Now comes the issue, dodge does not use actual miles for warranty repairs. They use engine hours. Especially the diesels. One hour of idling is equal to 25-35 miles.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
double up if using Pennzoil. it is free and simple to sign up for.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought a cpo Callenger in 2015,a 2013 model with 34k on it.I was offered the lifetime warranty.The 999,999 miles is correct.What some don't realize is that if a repair exceeds the market book value of the car,then they just pay you that value.Not gonna fix the problem also tho.So if anyone thinks say,a car with 300k on it and it needs a motor and said motor exceeds the car value,guess what? You get the cars value as I said.Dont know what a 30k mileage car would be worth on the books but I bet it wouldnt be worth a 7 or 8 thousand dollar motor.Now if they get a very used motor you may get that done possibly. My warranty was a Chrysler corporation warranty.A
a ten year old truck is still worth more than the price of a new motor.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
a ten year old truck is still worth more than the price of a new motor.
Hopefully,but not always.They stopped doing those 5 year dealer inspections when I bought my car tho.Cars do depreciate greater too.But its still a percentage of value tho

Hogfish823

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2009 1500 with Lifetime Powertrain warranty. It will be in the papers you have if you are the first buyer. But, you can also always contact RAM and give them the Vin number and they will tell you what exactly is covered and not covered. I do know they do not require service at a dealership, you just need to keep all your receipts and good records of what was done. I personally choose to use the dealer so they can not point a finger in another direction. Had that happen years ago on another vehicle where dealer said who ever change the oil did something wrong. They still replaced the engine but since then I pay the extra to have a dealer service my truck for that peace of mind. I also have to get a "5 Year Power Train Inspection" done from a dealer. It is a joke of a process but required to keep your warranty. Attached is the form.

Attachments

• 5 Year Inspection Form - WHAT A JOKE.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 6

imacad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s either a brand new type warranty, or you were lied to.
just got a screenshot of mine from mymopar.com profile... they do exist.

they're lifetime, notice mileage and expiration date. i purchased it a few days after buying the truck new. cost was $2350 and is non-transferable as the mod said earlier.

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 9

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
Be careful with your lifetime warranty. In the small print it says that you have to take your truck to the dealership every few years or so to have the truck inspected. I have seen many customer's declined because they did not bring their trucks in for inspection. =]

PGTB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2017 1500 longhorn limited with the mopar maxcare warranty for 12 years or 999,999 miles. I have only had to use it a couple of times. It covered all the repairs with a $100.00 deductible. These trucks have gotten very sophisticated over the years (electronics and air suspension to name a few). If I am still making payments, I don’t want to be saddled with expensive repairs too.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just got a screenshot of mine from mymopar.com profile... they do exist.

they're lifetime, notice mileage and expiration date. i purchased it a few days after buying the truck new. cost was $2350 and is non-transferable as the mod said earlier.
Is that the lifetime warranty that is no longer offered Chrysler?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Be careful with your lifetime warranty. In the small print it says that you have to take your truck to the dealership every few years or so to have the truck inspected. I have seen many customer's declined because they did not bring their trucks in for inspection. =]
My lifetime max care has no such clause in my contract.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Save yourself the trouble and just follow the OM recommended maintenance schedule and put away in a rainy day fund whatever you would have spent on that so call dealers lifetime warranty and their accelerated maintenance interval. Better yet, buy a factory authorized extended warranty for piece of mind.

Those dealership warranties are pig in a poke and the first time they have to actually pay out a substantial amount, they will find some niggly means to get out of it and not honor it.

PeteTPuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have the Lifetime Maxcare Warranty on my 2017 Ram. What I have been told is the warranty is good as long as the value of the repairs/replacements to be completed does NOT exceed the value of my truck.

Once that happens, the warranty pays the value of my truck and the warranty ends.

So if the repairs come to $6000, but my truck is worth $10,000, and its approved, then my warranty covers the repairs. If the repairs come to $6000, but my truck is worth $5000. The warranty pays the $5000 and the warranty ends

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The big sentence in that paragraph is “If it’s approved”.

Good luck being at the mercy of someone that is looking to make money off of you.

When you have cash in the bank, then YOU are in charge.

Like I always say, it’s the lure of getting something for nothing is what sells those things.

OP
OP
K

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with those that suggest putting cash in the bank instead of purchasing extended warranties. If you total up all the money for various extended warranties on products you purchase, in the end you will almost certainly come out money ahead in the long run by financing repairs out of your own savings instead of paying a warranty company a premium to finance it for you.

But this little warranty from the dealership didn't cost me anything extra. I didn't ask for it and didn't pay a dime for it. Since I think the factory drivetrain warranty is only good for 60,000 miles, I think I'd be a fool not to follows the terms of and remember this little freebie, just in case something bad happens to the engine or tranny between 60K and 300K miles.

Heck even if the truck is only worth a few thousand dollars after it is 20 years old and has 250K miles on it, it's market value is still more with a good engine than it is with a ruined cam or trashed transmission. If I have a blown engine in the truck, and the warranty will pay me the value of the truck before the engine blew, I'll probably take it and be thankful!

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
When I bought my 2021 Ram 1500 I was told there is a 999,999 mile lifetime drivetrain warranty. That seems too good to be true.

I'm sure you would need maintenance records to make use of that warranty. But, still... seems impossible.

Does anyone know the terms of that warranty or what the "catch" is?

So many dealers these days "sell" (in quotes for a reason) a lifetime or strangely long warranty. They are not what you think they are. It is a gimmick run by a 3rd party that you are required to purchase certain maintenance items over the years to keep the warranty. Most of these items are extremely overpriced and have a strict schedule. Miss any timed item and your warranty is void. Very tricky sales gimmick. One of those "read the fine print" kinds of things. Toyota dealers in my area are the worst at this tactic, and so many Toyota owners I've met still believe they have a lifetime warranty by default and really don't. Especially since they likely didn't keep up the maintenance schedule required for it. Doesn't really matter as the average car ownership these days is still only around 3 to 4 years, where virtually no car should have engine issues in that short of time. Caveat Emptor guys, Caveat Emptor.

Octane

Reaction score
I agree with those that suggest putting cash in the bank instead of purchasing extended warranties. If you total up all the money for various extended warranties on products you purchase, in the end you will almost certainly come out money ahead in the long run by financing repairs out of your own savings instead of paying a warranty company a premium to finance it for you.

But this little warranty from the dealership didn't cost me anything extra. I didn't ask for it and didn't pay a dime for it. Since I think the factory drivetrain warranty is only good for 60,000 miles, I think I'd be a fool not to follows the terms of and remember this little freebie, just in case something bad happens to the engine or tranny between 60K and 300K miles.

Heck even if the truck is only worth a few thousand dollars after it is 20 years old and has 250K miles on it, it's market value is still more with a good engine than it is with a ruined cam or trashed transmission. If I have a blown engine in the truck, and the warranty will pay me the value of the truck before the engine blew, I'll probably take it and be thankful!
They go by book value only.Once it falls off that book,then its worth whatever you can get for it

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

There was a point made. Does the required maintenance match the schedule in the owners manual or are required to get all the dealer recommended service ? Just curious.