A better way to change oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Funny how everyone thinks things are laid out so poorly.

LOL..

There is a reason why things are in its place, for pressure, effectiveness, flow, resistance...

Remember, they do this out side the vehicle.

I think the 2014+ 2500 CTD are a bit harder :)

You see that is the very issue. Engineers designed it. Engineers don't think practically or far ahead. They usually can't see the forest through the trees. they are worried about making sure everything fits under the hood. They do not think, he how is anyone actually going to be able to change the oil, or change that sparkplug.

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You see that is the very issue. Engineers designed it. Engineers don't think practically or far ahead. They usually can't see the forest through the trees. they are worried about making sure everything fits under the hood. They do not think, he how is anyone actually going to be able to change the oil, or change that sparkplug.
Or maybe ease of access is lower on their priority list? Not everything can be #1. There has to be compromise somewhere.
Everything has to fit, duh. But included in that there are safety regulation, geometric constraints, and cost considerations as well.
$50 dollars worth of machine time or $30 worth of parts on 1 million vehicles means a whole lot more to them than you having to clean your shop floor. Garage mechanics think about the problems directly in front of us and forget that there is a much larger picture. Everyone has their faults.
With that said, the filter location is ****.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I lay a plastic bag over the EPS and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a screw driver. Let it drain, unscrew.

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I judt did my first oil change on my 5.7.....Mother of God, **** on a shingle, kick me in the balls! It was the hardest and worse oil change I have ever done.

I am 43 and been doing my own oil changes since I was 16. Nothing I have seen has been so poorly layed out.

What do you guys do to make it easier getting around the 4x4 actuator?

Using a cardboard shield to redirect the oil made it worse.

I am considering buying oil changes from dealer.

yep, I laughed when I read this as I said the same thing...

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I find the best method for changing oil is to book an appointment at the dealer, no muss no fuss. While in for an oil change I am given the opportunity to pick up a brand spanking new ride.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find the best method for changing oil is to book an appointment at the dealer, no muss no fuss. While in for an oil change I am given the opportunity to pick up a brand spanking new ride.
My '18 Rebel is at 66k, oil changes have been at "professional shops". Did my first one myself a couple weeks back.

The "professionals" leave a HUGE mess, as they just spin off the filter, and step back. My Power Steering, and something I haven't looked into yet clearly have had a LOT of oil spilled on them over the 4 years since I bought the truck. And not wiped off either.

Plus my dealer has a 3 week waiting list for service time. Anytime I have looked. For 4 years.

I'm doing as much work as I can myself, as I am also tired of paying $40 for the "extra" 2 quarts of Full Synthetic the oil change places **** me for. Put Pennzoil Platinum in, with a high mileage filter, AND tools (as it was my first time doing a vehicle) for less than just the oil change at ANY oil change place I have been to with the RAM. And it was cleaner too!

Octane

Reaction score
Drain oil onto rags draped over eps,then spray brake cleaner to remove oil spillage afterwards. I stopped expecting excellence when they wouldn't let me engineer things anyway.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^ I’m surprised no has mentioned brake clean until now. 15 seconds of spraying and everything nice & shiny!

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm really curious if anyone has used this and if it works.

Right now I've been using this homemade drip pan. It works pretty good but I'm always looking for a better way.

I know Ryan Prettyman has used the Hellcat version on his truck,which is very similiar to that one.He has pictures posted on either High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams on facebook,i don't think he's on here though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm really curious if anyone has used this and if it works.

Right now I've been using this homemade drip pan. It works pretty good but I'm always looking for a better way.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For that price, I'm real happy with my remote mount from pacbrake. Nice kit and man I'm actually excited for my next oil change.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny how everyone thinks things are laid out so poorly.

LOL..

There is a reason why things are in its place, for pressure, effectiveness, flow, resistance...

Remember, they do this out side the vehicle.

I think the 2014+ 2500 CTD are a bit harder :)
I work for a machine builder (OEM). You have no idea I curse out the ME's that sit 15' from me for stupid **** they do.
On my Rebel (4x4), the oil filter has exactly one way to get to it. As they designed the engine, and had requirements for the mounts/power, but didn't consider standard maintenance. Like the old Chevy (I think) where you have to take the front wheel off to get to the battery...
IE engine was designed, Truck was designed. Someone had to figure out how to shove the 2 together, and still fit other crap. So a lot of 1500's have a sway bar directly in the path of the oil drain, and basically no one can actually remove the oil filter with out getting ~1/2 qt fricken EVERYWHERE.