A/C blows cold when at speed, but blows warm when idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poehitman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My dad has been having this problem with the A/C in his 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 standard cab. When he's driving normally, the A/C blows cold no problem. But when he slows down to idle, the A/C blows warm. We're in FL, so having A/C is kind of a necessity. Any ideas what could be causing the problem. I've checked all A/C related fuses in the engine bay and replaced them just to be on the safe side. The A/C Condenser Fan relay was also replaced, to no effect. The fan mounted on the left side of the radiator (left side when sitting in the driver's seat) will not engage no matter what. Any ideas on the possible issue?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread seems oddly familiar. My bet is either low freon or the the clutch fan isnt engaging when the ac is activated to pull enough air for the condenser to keep cool. When the a/c is on it should be locked on. So my guess is clutch for the fan.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You'll need to check the condenser fan fuse and also if the fan is getting voltage. That fan should run any time the AC is on. That fan draws air o er the condenser, that's why the AC blows warm when idling but works when your moving.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's the exact same symptoms my 2007 had when the fan died. Not too hard to replace and pretty cheap to buy.

OP
OP
P

poehitman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I replaced all the fuses having to do with the A/C system in the engine bay fuse box. I also replaced the A/C condenser fan relay. If the clutch is on the compressor, it appears to be working. If it's the same as other vehicles, the part spun by the engine belt cycles on and off, so it appears to work. When I replaced the relay, it showed signs of excessive heat on one of the prongs. I've attached a photo of the old relay.

100_2351.JPG

Last edited: