A/C Compressor Housing Cracked - 1993 D250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamElectricalRet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2MPI
The A/C compressor in my 1993 D250 developed a hole in the housing and lost all its freon. I've been told that small metal pieces probably got circulated into the condenser, A/C radiator, drier bottle, lines, etc. and simply replacing the compressor is not a viable fix.
Anyone have experience with this, do I really need to replace all the A/C components?

Kodachrome Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360 V8
If the '93 is anything like my '86 underhood regarding the A/C system, it can still be effectively put together, but if your system was an original R12 system converted to R134a, there's a chance the line fittings won't be the same if you try and use new hardware.

I quickly learned that since I needed to replace my HVAC box under the dash and thought I'd be smart in replacing my evaporator core. All my old equipment used threaded fittings to join the lines together, but all the replacement stuff uses block fittings that utilize studs to mate them to the attaching point.

Now, going beyond that. The original style condensers usually used "back-in-the-day" (even if the 90s don't feel that long ago) usually weren't cross-flow designed and can be flushed if you do it properly. Same goes for the evaporator core. If you could clean the lines out and find a suitable drier that'll fit on the original lines, you could get away with replacing the compressor and adequately cleaning the entire system, then doing a proper vacuum and recharge.

If for whatever reason you do through the process of changing everything, we might be in the same boat. I'm currently in a position of figuring out how to appropriately work with the existing A/C switches on the system (capillary clutch cycle switch and high pressure switch) with more "modern" bits. Learning how to adapt the original equipment to available parts might prove invaluable going forwards.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Any compressors I've replaced stated the drier is to be replaced too. In most cases if not it voids compressor warranty.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Let me give a little part of this speech. Mfg's. are going to tell you that every part has to be replaced .
Now I'M GOING TO SAY About 50% of the people & Techs really replace .every thing.
.... Now when you take the lines off the back of your compressor ... Get a paper towel .. white one & wipe it off SO you can see what been traveling through your system. . It's called Black Death It's the Aluminum dust shaving from any parts moving against other parts.
& you white rag or towel will be black ..
YOU'VE got problems if any of this is seen . & you normally have this situation.
....... Always replace the Compressor with one that comes with the clutch made on it. Don't unless you just have to put the clutch on yourself. .. Always replace the Dryer. The orifice tubes. ........Get a good look at the hoses. Replace all the o-rings .
..... A lot will disagree with me but I've sold it all.
You don't need OLD R12.
Any kind will work . Freeze 12 ..R134.. & i'M Not up on the oils today .But if the parts house can tell you what oil the Parts you buying has in them .. Then that's what you need in your new system.
& They make AC Flushes to push through the system. & Blow it out. & You really need a vacuum pulled on your system. I've fixed a lot more systems that I never pulled a vacuum on but I'm sure it is important..
But on a hot dry day I'll bet it'll cool when your done.
Ok now you other Guys tell him how to do it correctly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963