A/C fan speed on HIGH feels like it's blowing medium speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
2020 2500 Tradesman. Searched but no luck on this issue. No time to take to dealer...yet.

A/C fan speed on HIGH feels like it's blowing medium speed. To be clear, I'm only talking about the how hard the fan blows air, NOT the temperature. My first RAM so not sure if this is normal. I drive in many new different brand work trucks every week and all those fan speeds on high are much stronger, so I can only compare to those, 2020 Fords and Chevy, we don't have RAMS.

It doesn't matter when it's turned on High, it can be city driving, highway, heat wave, 80* out, cloudy and 71* with no humidity, etc..it's always the same.

Anyone else notice this or have this issue? I deal just fine with it but can't tell if it's a RAM thing and it is what it is or just a problem that needs fixing.

Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It might feel like it's blowing on medium speed but most people confuse volume and velocity when it comes to the airflow in a vehicle. Just because it's blowing hard doesn't mean it's moving more air. I think Ram engineers did a good job of cutting down the wind noise coming from the HVAC system.
Does the AC keep your truck comfortable?

OP
OP
GeometryFletch

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Temp is fine. No issues. It might very well be that situation you just described. Next time I get an oil change at the dealer I'll ask the guys over there. I appreciate the insight. I can't complain at all tho, cause cold is blowing 56* out the center vent once up and running for a bit. I tested it with my Klein dual laser thermometer. Other vents are 59* (on High/Super cold setting.) It just seems like it blows too softly for my taste. :) Appreciate it crash68

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome to owning a Ram HD, they have been this way for years. It's not going to blow your hair back that's for sure.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I actually like the lower velocity because it doesn't dry out my contact lenses. It might take an extra minute to cool the truck but I'll make that sacrifice.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Also, if you have it set to AUTO, it will decide what speed/strength to use to maintain selected temp. Might be that throwing you. Sometimes it seems my fan is on low when on the auto setting.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Also, if you have it set to AUTO, it will decide what speed/strength to use to maintain selected temp. Might be that throwing you. Sometimes it seems my fan is on low when on the auto setting.
Mine does not have an auto setting.

OP
OP
GeometryFletch

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, I have the Tradesman, no Auto/Climate Control, just old school knobs.

OP
OP
GeometryFletch

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
plastic bag covering the fan ?

Plastic bag stuffed behind the upper or lower glove box ?
hmmmm. I'll shall inspect. :0 Nice suggestion. I replaced the air filter 4 weeks ago and glanced in there but not a full inspection...I will now tho...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unfortunately
some how a small plastic bag is put into the glove compartment
with ppl opening & closing the glove compartment, it is quite possible that the bag can partially block air flow

727Jay

Reaction score
Is it set to blow on your feet as well instead of fully out of the upper vents? That would divert some of the flow.

OP
OP
GeometryFletch

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is it set to blow on your feet as well instead of fully out of the upper vents? That would divert some of the flow.
No, I have it set for "dash" only. Even when I close a vent or two it doesn't seem to increase flow, it's weird. I tested the temperature coming out with my Klein Digital Thermometer and it's in the 50's but the low pressure. I'll def ask the dealer soon, I've been on call for work so much I just can't give the truck up right now.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
It might feel like it's blowing on medium speed but most people confuse volume and velocity when it comes to the airflow in a vehicle. Just because it's blowing hard doesn't mean it's moving more air. I think Ram engineers did a good job of cutting down the wind noise coming from the HVAC system.
Does the AC keep your truck comfortable?
I think this is it...

I turn mine on to MAX AC and in about a few maybe 10 minutes I am freezing my *** off and have to turn it down in ~90+ southeastern humid weather, it is not blowing hard but cols and even.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When RAM upgraded the HVAC boxes in late 2020's, the fan speed and sensors were set different. Early 2020's and 2019's Gen 5 trucks had the harder blowing fan. When I had the TSB done ref HVAC and AC issues, the programming was changed and it slowed down my Fan. Your AC should be cooler than 56-59 degrees. U need to check the build date on the truck and see if it falls within the TSB 24-001-20. If your Build date falls in there, yer decision on whether to have done. U have to complain about the (2) issues listed in the TSB. Your vent temps should be in the middle to high 40's to very low 50's, not where U R once the system has run for a while. Of course, there could be a mechanical issue like out of whack pressure between high/low side and Freon level. The RAMS are picky ref pressures. All IMHO...

Attachments

• TSB-24-001-20.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: