A/C & Heater control unit malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spazz1598

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a while back. I got the heater core replaced and had an issue with the actuator on the top on the vent ( the only hard to access). Instead of fixing it when I had the chance I left it unplugged and boy was that a mistake. My heater controls eventually stopped working at random times. When you start the truck the mirror defroster would blink and I would have zero control over anything with the AC. You may get full blast cold air in your face or full heat at your feet. The biggest issue was in the middle of the week when it's ice cold the heat would refuse to work at all (even changed the thermostat thinking maybe its just throwing something off. Didn't help). Tried rigging up a new actuator to the plug on the one in question and it seemed to have fixed it assuming that the problem was caused from it being left unplugged. It didn't work. So u ended up unplugging the blend door actuator and since then it's been working fine. It still blinks for a couple minutes after turning over but not indefinitely like it was. I've heard it may be the control module failing and needing replacement but I would greatly appreciate some incite on this situation. I really would like to avoid pulling the dash while it's so cold in an apartment parking lot.

tlbeck1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like a lot of us are having HVAC issues. Have you heard about the controls being reset at the dealer before? Apparently it can help certain things. I believe their was a recall on the defroster issue for certain trucks.