A/C high side line replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Gideon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2001 Ram 1500 WS and need to replace the H side line. I have the new line but was told it takes a professional to replace it. I never have done the A/C line except to recharge one a few times, so is there any truth to needing a pro to do it or can I do it myself? Also, it has a clip over the ends where they connect, is there a special tool besides the disconnect tool I will need and any special instructions? Person who told me I need a pro is an A/C shop employee and I suspect he just wants the business but thought I'd ask here first. If I can do it myself, how do I go about doing so without screwing things up?

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have the 2001 Ram 1500 WS and need to replace the H side line. I have the new line but was told it takes a professional to replace it. I never have done the A/C line except to recharge one a few times, so is there any truth to needing a pro to do it or can I do it myself? Also, it has a clip over the ends where they connect, is there a special tool besides the disconnect tool I will need and any special instructions? Person who told me I need a pro is an A/C shop employee and I suspect he just wants the business but thought I'd ask here first. If I can do it myself, how do I go about doing so without screwing things up?
Regarding the end with the clip...yes you can purchase a tool that will disengage the connector there. There may be 3 or so O-rings on that end after you slide the tool on the line and pop it out. First, before you replace it, you need to make sure a few things. First, do you have the correct O-rings to replace the old ones? Second, you will need to use the same system oil that is used in conjunction with the refrigerant to lubricate the O-rings at each connection. Make sure you get the correct oil because not all oils will work and you will have serious issues with the entire system if you just use any type of oil. If the manufacturer indicates that you use 4 ounces of PAG 46 and you use PAG 100, it's most likely going to hurt your compressor. When you assemble the lines, use the specified oil liberally. Soak the O-ring in the oil and put it on the flared end securely along with coating the connecting end with some oil too. Remember that these connections need to be practically perfectly mated together and tightened to proper torque values. As far as finishing the work, you will either have to take it where you can have the system vacuumed down and then recharged provided that there are no leaks. And also replace the dryer. I don't care how you kept it air tight and oxygen never contacted the can and all that. Replace the darn dryer. It's better safe than sorry. And hopefully you get that done with no leaks. You'll freeze your tail off if it's all done right. I've done plenty of entire Air conditioning system replacements on semi trucks. Slow and steady. Good luck. Hope I was clear enough.

Sent from my UFO using Tapatalk

Last edited: