A/C not blowing hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDesh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great thread guys, thanks!!! I have a 2008 Megacab 4x4 Hemi that I bought new and it has been to the dealer twice for this problem. Now it is happening a 3rd time. I have the lifetime warranty so it costs $100 every time it goes in. I think I am going to follow your advice and remove or screw the door up. I just need to figure out what mode it will be in if I remove it or what mode will it be in if I screw the door up..... I am sure that one mode is recirc and the other mode allows outside air. Anybody know which mode is which? Thanks

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Could be the Recirc door, but you should also look at the possibility of the evap being clogged up. I just replaced mine and it had a layer of crap on it that was restricting air flow.

WVUEngineer8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone had the issue of the air not blowing hard but then it will work fine again after turning the truck off and starting it again. It has happened to me twice now usually at highway speed (55-65). The air is blowing just fine and then all of the sudden there is almost nothing coming out of the vents. The blower motor is still running hard and I can hear it change speed when I adjust it but not change in the air coming out the vents. I have tried to adjust the vent setting from defrost to floor to dash vents and there is no change. The small amount of air that does come out is still ice cold or hot depending on the setting but there is no volume. I shut the truck off and then turn it back on and everything is good again. I haven't had it happen to me enough to be in a position where I can take it apart when I get home and the truck is still running. Is this still a issue with the re-circulation door or another blend door or another issue all together?

2004 Ram 1500

Billy Budd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WVU Engineer8 Yes, I'm having the same problem. I just bought a 2007 Dodge Power Wagon and I noticed that the air flow was OK when I first started the vehicle, not great but OK. After about 10 minutes of driving the air flow is nothing out of any vents. Upper, lower, defrost nothing. I can hear the blower motor but no air flow. I have checked the recirc door, by removing the blower motor and by removing the glove box lid and watching it activate. Recirc door is good. I have checked the mode door and it appears to be working as it should by watching the linkage move and by noticing the change in temperature of the air. It's almost like the squirrel cage is not spinning on the blower motor? Anyway I'm stumped but if you've figured out the problem please share. Thanks for your attention in this matter.

WVUEngineer8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I figured mine out recently. I ended up doing 2 things. First I cleaned the evaporator coil with Lubegard Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner. I sprayed a bunch up through the drip hose in the engine bay and more down the vents. After letting this run I messed with the a.c. for a while and started to notice it was now long blowing cold from one side. So I picked up some a.c. Freon with a dispensing hose that had a gauge on it. Hooked it up to check the a.c. line pressure first and sure enough it was very low. I filled the truck up with a big can and haven't had any problems since. Turns out that the low Freon level was causing the coil to freeze up and when that happened the air flow was reduced so not much air would make it out of the vents. I would recommend checking the Freon level in your truck and see if it needs some charge.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured mine out recently. I ended up doing 2 things. First I cleaned the evaporator coil with Lubegard Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner. I sprayed a bunch up through the drip hose in the engine bay and more down the vents. After letting this run I messed with the a.c. for a while and started to notice it was now long blowing cold from one side. So I picked up some a.c. Freon with a dispensing hose that had a gauge on it. Hooked it up to check the a.c. line pressure first and sure enough it was very low. I filled the truck up with a big can and haven't had any problems since. Turns out that the low Freon level was causing the coil to freeze up and when that happened the air flow was reduced so not much air would make it out of the vents. I would recommend checking the Freon level in your truck and see if it needs some charge.
Where is this "drip hose" that you speak of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

WVUEngineer8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The drip hose is on the firewall inside the engine bay on the passenger side. Yo u should see if located approximately right below where your blower motor is for your HVAC unit only on the engine bay side not the interior cab side.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The drip hose is on the firewall inside the engine bay on the passenger side. Yo u should see if located approximately right below where your blower motor is for your HVAC unit only on the engine bay side not the interior cab side.
Thanks man. I need to clean mine. Every once in a while I get some debris out of the vents.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again for the Kool-It recommendation. The output from my vents has literally doubled after using it! Surpassed my expectations! I'm sold on this product!

marxhare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Gents. I'm having the same problem. Hot/Cold works just fine. Blowers functions properly on all settings. Removed blower to confirm. Confirmed door and actuator in proper operating condition. Extremely minimal air flow. Used to turn cab into Hotbox/Icebox in minutes. Now, barely anything coming out of vents.

Jamesrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just bought an 07 with the same problem. The recirc door works properly. I'll have to see if I can look in there with my bore scope to see if the coils are dirty.
James

Lizzy B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
WVU Engineer8 Yes, I'm having the same problem. I just bought a 2007 Dodge Power Wagon and I noticed that the air flow was OK when I first started the vehicle, not great but OK. After about 10 minutes of driving the air flow is nothing out of any vents. Upper, lower, defrost nothing. I can hear the blower motor but no air flow. I have checked the recirc door, by removing the blower motor and by removing the glove box lid and watching it activate. Recirc door is good. I have checked the mode door and it appears to be working as it should by watching the linkage move and by noticing the change in temperature of the air. It's almost like the squirrel cage is not spinning on the blower motor? Anyway I'm stumped but if you've figured out the problem please share. Thanks for your attention in this matter.

Lizzy B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Dumb chick question… where is the evap core?? Picture would be nice!

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Behind the glove compartment, up under the dash. Sorry I don't have a picture.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is why i would pay to have it done

The video is sped up, it took this professional an hour to get the HVAC Box out

You can just jump to the 7 minute 30 second point to see what goes where & how to trouble shoot

fnovack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummings
I literally spent an hour trying to decide where to put this thread at, hopefully I didn't put it in the wrong one! haha

Anyways I'm having a problem with my truck where the A/C won't blow as hard as it used to. I refilled the Freon properly but that didn't help. It still blows pretty cold but it doesn't blow hard when I have the fan knob to the highest setting and the A/C knob on "Max A/C" setting. I was thinking that it might be the fan? Oh and I replaced the Air Filter about 6 months ago. Any help is appreciated!
My driver side vents are cooler than the passenger side, any suggestions? I already removed the recirculation door...thanks.